RichardW's Velocette rebuild

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

moizeau
donor 2018

Re: RichardW's Velocette rebuild

Post by moizeau » 30 Oct 2019, 19:10

Splendid news, make sure you gap them without the piston in the cylinder before putting it back together. Use the piston to push them down the bore and gap them at the tightest point, using the piston makes sure they stay square. Good look.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW » 07 Nov 2019, 22:49

With the bike back with exhausts, working on re-assembly. Got the new rings, so have filed them back so they are a tight fit at the entry to the bore, which should minimise the gap further up the bore. You can see the difference in the length of the rings here....
rings2.jpg
After carefully blocking off the crankcase whilst I refitted the gudgeon pin clip, I then unscrewed the nut off the barrell stud and promptly dropped it down the crank case #-o so I had to take the side off to recover it. With the barrel back on, I've put something together wrong as it won't turn over now hmmmm resume that battle tomorrow!

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW » 08 Nov 2019, 18:49

Tightening up the outer plate hard presses the inner filler plate onto the end of the crankshaft causing the stiction. Backing it off just a few deg frees it up... With that done it is evident we have a lot more compression, but also that the decompressor is leaking, so I need to sort that out. I have got the saddle springs on but the cover seems to be too long, so I need to make a couple of brackets. Need to try and get it mostly assembled tomorrow. If I can figure out the decompressor, then maybe it will start....🤔

moizeau
donor 2018

Post by moizeau » 08 Nov 2019, 20:35

Good luck, if you have trouble with the decompressor (kill switch), blank it as long as you can remove the plug safely or wire a switchable ground on the low tension side.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW » 09 Nov 2019, 22:25

After a day spent on reassembly, it's more or less up together now. I've got to put another coat of paint on the tank, fit the chain, put the saddle on (ready, just need to put some additional washers on some of the cover bolts), once the tank is on I need to adjust the gear change.
bikeright.jpg
bikeleft.jpg
It didn't really want to go back together - at least I was working in the garage with the heater on!! Just fitting the rear number plate took about an hour :roll: Not helped by not feeling 100%, and everything I touched fell on the floor, and then disappeared under something!

The throttle is still no good, not sure what to do with that, I may need to go back to the original internal scroll, but I think it's well gummed up. The clutch cable needs making longer.

I've got the lights to put on as well, but I need to get the headlamp re-silvered, and then refurbish it all before putting it on.

I got a quote for chroming the pipes... a grand give or take :shock:

So big question, will it start? Will it heck.... no difference really, still no interest at all in running. Even after quite a few kicks, the plug was still dry, so I don't think it's getting any fuel sucked into the cylinder - it was certainly in the crankcase as it was running out the bottom. Still only showing 3 bar on the compression gauge, but it does come up much quicker than it did (2 kicks).