RD4 radio/CD - USB input

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

NickCUK

RD4 radio/CD - USB input

Post by NickCUK »

Can anyone tell me what adapter I need to connect my RD4 to a USB input please?

At the moment the cigarette lighter socket has a USB connector in it's place but the type A USB wire from this just goes up behind the dash and is not connected to anything. Therefore I don't even have a 12v supply to the cigarette lighter so no power socket for a sat-nav.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: RD4 radio/CD - USB input

Post by xantia_v6 »

I don't think that the RD4 supports USB. The RD45 does, but is probably incompatible with the matrix displays in a 307.
NickCUK

Post by NickCUK »

Well I wonder what was supposed to be in the car when it was new as there is no cigarette lighter but a USB socket instead.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'll be able to advise if you pop your VIN up. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Maybe someone has attempted to change the lighter socket for a USB socket and given up when they found nothing to connect it to? There should be a 12V supply on a 2 or 3 pin plug near the socket.
NickCUK

Post by NickCUK »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 15:57 I'll be able to advise if you pop your VIN up. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.
VIN: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Your VIN is incorrect. It should be 17 not 18 and the last 8 are incorrect for sure.

Marc
NickCUK

Post by NickCUK »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 12:06 Your VIN is incorrect. It should be 17 not 18 and the last 8 are incorrect for sure.
Sorry, I typed an extra '0' in the middle:
Correct VIN: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So you have a lowish trim model, and looking at the info, just the RD4. Now according to data, there is no USB fitted, so I wonder if somebody previously has attempted to wire this in and realised it is unsupported as Mike says above.

With these vehicles you could have the Hands-free kit fitted at factory as an option, which included a module where the USB would connect to read Media files like MP3s, had Bluetooth, for hands free calling and a Jack socket to connect the older style MP3 Players or iPods, which was essentially an AUX socket, with no playback control, just volume adjustment. This unit then connected to the RD4's rear interface to provide the additional features. However you would also have had to have the enhanced multi-function display (EMF-C level) to make this work and you only have the basic Level B display.

According to the info, the 12V socket is to the lower right of the gearbox, so have a look inside the centre console to see if there is any wiring for this. Unusual to not have this fitted.

Without this, it's going to limit your options and attempting to connect a USB I think is going to be fruitless if unsupported via the screen and the lack of the telephone interface kit. it will also mean you can't fit an aftermarket unit to play MP3 files or similar without the 12 V accessory socket. So I'd focus on investigating that first.

Marc
NickCUK

Post by NickCUK »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 13:53 So you have a lowish trim model, and looking at the info, just the RD4. Now according to data, there is no USB fitted, so I wonder if somebody previously has attempted to wire this in and realised it is unsupported as Mike says above.
Thanks for the info Marc, will look for that connector. Then need to find the part number for the cigarette socket and lead.

Doing a bit more searching suggests that perhaps I could replace the RD4 with a RD43 which has a USB socket and functionality. Could be wrong but looks like this might work fine with old type A/B display but not display track names.

Edit:
I seem to recall seeing 'USB' as an option to enable, along with aux1/2, when I was browsing through the settings on the Lexia-3 but assume that won't work with an RD4 even if I get some sort of USB CANbus adapter.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The RD4 was available ins several 'levels' and depending which level you had determined the additional features it supported.

The later RD45 I think you mean, has built-in Bluetooth, so could stream audio and handle phone calls. But as the Display units have their own ECUs, they effectively control the Head unit, so important to get one that is going to meet your neds now or later should you opt for the RD45. If going for RD45, you'll need and EMF-C multifunction display screen with at least V72.2 of the software (printed on reverse label.

Marc
NickCUK

Post by NickCUK »

xantia_v6 wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 23:07 Maybe someone has attempted to change the lighter socket for a USB socket and given up when they found nothing to connect it to? There should be a 12V supply on a 2 or 3 pin plug near the socket.
Found a 3-pin connector in there; thicker purple and green wires and a thin white wire. Doesn't equate to what is in the Haynes manual as that is only a 2-pin plug but suspect the diagram in the manual is wrong. Does an original cigarette-lighter socket connect directly into this plug?

Edit:
Does this look like it will fit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006367123989.html
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so here is the wiring diagram for your 307. The Forward 12V supply is shown by CP01 in the lower right of the diagram.

It has a 3 pin connection with the following:
Pin 1 is the lighting controlled by the BSI
Pin 2 is the Positive, and goes to fuse F9 in the BSI Fuse Box
Pin 3 is the earth.

With the exception of the wiring codes, most of the component codes are indexed here:

PSA Electrical Diagrams - Wiring & Symbols Codes Index

Marc
NickCUK

Post by NickCUK »

NickCUK wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 13:35 Edit:
Does this look like it will fit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006367123989.html
This cigarette lighter socket is now installed and fits perfectly with connection to original plug.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great, well done.

Marc