Citroen 1.2 Puretech engine oil and cam belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PaulBen

Citroen 1.2 Puretech engine oil and cam belt

Post by PaulBen »

Hello,

I bought a 2016 Citroen C3 Picasso 1.2 Puretech 3 weeks ago and have recently had a 'top up engine oil' warning come up on the multifunction display. I checked it the day after I bought it and the oil level was about 1/4 of the way below the max mark then. It was near minimum when I checked it on Thursday night (after only driving about 700 miles), but it's also worth mentioning that there was some white gunge on the dipstick too.
I topped it up yesterday with the specified Total 0W 30 oil and I've added nearly a litre to bring it up to just over the 1/2 way mark. After a short drive, the warning has stopped.
Also worth mentioning that there was a little bit of white gunge in the top of the oil filler cap too.
I came across this forum after researching the correct oil for this car. I've read similar discussions to this one and am rather concerned about my cam belt as well! As this is a late 2016, I'm hoping that it's got the later type belt fitted. Can anyone advise please? I've looked through the filler cap, but can't see any writing on it. I have no record of it being changed and it's done nearly 54, 000 miles.

Many thanks,

Paul
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen 1.2 Puretech engine oil and cam belt

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Provide your VIN and I can check the servicing period for this vehicle, but generally on these 1.2 EB2 engines it's about the 62k mile mark
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PaulBen

Post by PaulBen »

Thanks Marc.

The VIN no. is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

According to the technical data in my owners manual, the engine model code is HNZ6

Regards,

Paul
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You have an EB2D2 engine (but yes that is the engine code).

1) According to your Service Schedule, the timing belt on this engine is 112k miles, and annual servicing (where they would normally check on the timing belt condition on these).

You are using the incorrect oil though. Citroen have changed the grades this year because of belt issues to 05W30 and the following specification: FPW9.55535/03

As you know using the recommended oil is essential on these, so I'd get that changed out.

Marc
PaulBen

Post by PaulBen »

That's most helpful Marc. Thank you (particularly on a Sunday evening!). Any thoughts on the apparently excessive consumption and the white gunge/contamination?
PaulBen

Post by PaulBen »

Sorry Marc, did you mean 5W30? I can't find any 05W30.
If Citroen have only changed the recommended grade this year, I presume that means that it'll have had an inappropriate grade in it for all of its life? It was serviced at a Citroen main dealer up until 45624 miles. However, it was then changed again only 7 months and 3000 miles later at some random MOT centre, and again only 5 months and another 3000 miles later at a Nissan dealer. I've spoken to the Nissan dealer, but they can't tell me what grade of oil they used.
It looks like the last two owners have been through the same process as me and then moved it on quickly!

Thanks,

Paul
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, that's just the official way of writing the grade.

I believe they hav eonly just changed the oil specs this year, from about January, so that's probably why you have the previously recommended oil.

Marc
PaulBen

Post by PaulBen »

OK. Thanks again 👍
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

If you are going to keep the car for a few years then you might as well change the timing belt when funds allow. As well as the distance interval for changing, there is also a time one which is often 10 years if before the mileage, all depending on which engine is installed. So with your car being 8 years old it could be due a timing belt change in the next 2 years and you do not need to go to the limit on time and miles.

We had a C3 1.4 vti that used oil about 1 litre every 2000 miles from when we got it on 12000 miles. It never got any worse but I made sure I often checked the level and carried some oil in the boot.

I would wipe the white gunge off the dipstick and filler cap and then keep an eye on it. Possibly the previous owner did short trips so the engine did not warm up or possibly the thermostat is opening too soon so the engine is not getting hot. Check if the radiator top hose is getting warm gradually as the engine warms which could be a sign it is opening too soon.
PaulBen

Post by PaulBen »

That's very helpful, Paul.

Many thanks,

Paul