Android unit on Peugeot 308 2010 - Microphone doubt

This section is for information and posts relating to Audio Head Units, and Navigation Systems

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

MrDaga

Android unit on Peugeot 308 2010 - Microphone doubt

Post by MrDaga »

Hi guys.

I've installed on of those Android units coming from Aliexpress (Mekede) on my Peugeot 308 2010. Everything is working pretty well, besides the call sound quality. The microphone is really crap and I can't find something that works. The original microphone worked pretty well, and the best solution would be to use that one. Isn't there some kind of adaptor that can be connected to it? Where is the original microphone located?

Thanks!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Android unit on Peugeot 308 2010 - Microphone doubt

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Highly unlikely as most of the factory-fit microphones are concealed in the roof console, but generally tend to get merged in to the wiring loom via a flexi ribbon connection and trying to find where that is routed is near on impossible depending on what original equipment you had fitted. Sometimes it will end up in a services module or telematics module before being routed to the head unit.

I suspect it will be more likely to be the quality of your Android unit than the microphone if you have already tried a few, so something you need to address with your supplier.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MrDaga

Post by MrDaga »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 09:39 Highly unlikely as most of the factory-fit microphones are concealed in the roof console, but generally tend to get merged in to the wiring loom via a flexi ribbon connection and trying to find where that is routed is near on impossible depending on what original equipment you had fitted. Sometimes it will end up in a services module or telematics module before being routed to the head unit.

I suspect it will be more likely to be the quality of your Android unit than the microphone if you have already tried a few, so something you need to address with your supplier.
If I plug my Sennheiser headset to the Mic In, the quality is good. I just couldn't find a microphone that would fit well in the car and has the needed quality.

Regarding what you said, if the microphone is there, there should be a way of using it somehow, even if it requires some soldering. I need to find it and test it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Good luck :wink:

It's one reason why most of the people that upgraded from RD4 to RD45 had to fit an aftermarket Mic as it was impossible to locate in the looms.

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

If your car originally had an RD4 with the NOMAD hands-free box, then the microphone cable will be terminated at the blue connector which plugs into the NOMAD box under the dashboard to the left of the radio. I don't have the pin numbers immediately, but could find them.
MrDaga

Post by MrDaga »

xantia_v6 wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 20:26 If your car originally had an RD4 with the NOMAD hands-free box, then the microphone cable will be terminated at the blue connector which plugs into the NOMAD box under the dashboard to the left of the radio. I don't have the pin numbers immediately, but could find them.
That would be of huge help! =D>
MrDaga

Post by MrDaga »

ImageThe original microphone should be the one in this photo, right? I can see two cables. Can't I just use those to connect to a jack 3.5 terminal and plug in the android unit?
MrDaga

Post by MrDaga »

Would something like this solve the problem? I think it allows you to connect that micro to an audio cable
MrDaga

Post by MrDaga »

Anyone with experience in this topic?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, that's for the AUX, completely different to the MIC.

It might help if you provide your VIN so we know exactly what you have to start. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.

Marc
MrDaga

Post by MrDaga »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 15:58 No, that's for the AUX, completely different to the MIC.

It might help if you provide your VIN so we know exactly what you have to start. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.
VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So you have the RD4 system with additional Hands Free and Media Kit with USB.

So as I suspected the original microphone goes to the hands free kit not the head unit directly. The hands free kit also deals with the AUX input directly.

So you can really forget about using the existing microphone as you can't use an Android unit and the built in system simultaneously. This means you'll also lose functionality to change any car options via the Head Unit, trip computer and other data displayed on the MFD most likely.

Here's the wiring diagram so you can see how everything is interconnected:

With the exception of the wiring codes, most of the component codes are indexed here:

PSA Electrical Diagrams - Wiring & Symbols Codes Index

Marc
MrDaga

Post by MrDaga »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 18:27 So you have the RD4 system with additional Hands Free and Media Kit with USB.

So as I suspected the original microphone goes to the hands free kit not the head unit directly. The hands free kit also deals with the AUX input directly.

So you can really forget about using the existing microphone as you can't use an Android unit and the built in system simultaneously. This means you'll also lose functionality to change any car options via the Head Unit, trip computer and other data displayed on the MFD most likely.

Here's the wiring diagram so you can see how everything is interconnected:

With the exception of the wiring codes, most of the component codes are indexed here:

PSA Electrical Diagrams - Wiring & Symbols Codes Index

Thanks a lot for your help, but that's really too technical for me :?

Anyway, I'm able to access the original inboard trip computer with the android unit, and change its options. Anyway, regarding the microphone: I should still be able to pass a new cable from the head unit to the roof console and plug the original micro with an adaptor, no? the goal would be to connect it to the android unit using the microphone input (jack 3.5).
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll have to experiment yourself as this is an aftermarket unit you have. But essentially you need to wire in a microphone, whether the OEM one or another aftermarket one or an interface between the original mic and your new cable.

Marc
MrDaga

Post by MrDaga »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 12:42 You'll have to experiment yourself as this is an aftermarket unit you have. But essentially you need to wire in a microphone, whether the OEM one or another aftermarket one or an interface between the original mic and your new cable.
Thanks a lot for your help! Do you know what's the best way to pass a cable from the ceilling console to the back of the android unit?