Renault Express Speedo needs to show mph

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Beewoman

Renault Express Speedo needs to show mph

Post by Beewoman »

Hi
I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a little 1993 Renault Express van. It's a French LHD van which I hope to drive in France often, and only drive in the UK on the way to the port! But I live in England so need to register it here.

I'd thought that because the van is under 3500kgs and over 10 years old, I'd be exempt from vehicle approval. But looping round and round on the gov.uk website to see how to get it registered, it seems that vehicle approval is needed after all - becuase it's LHD (at least I think that's what it says.. so confused..) The vehicle approval applicaiton form itself tells me I need the speedo to show mph as well as km/h - so to get a factory made speedo, or a 'professionally produced' overlay (that can be fitted by a MOT registered garage). If only I could find either!

I've searched UK scrap yards, ebay and autopart websites for a speedo with mph (i.e. for the UK version (the Extra) which I'm thinking would automatically show mph too and also fit my RHD (?)) but no success. And Renault say the part is no longer available new... I've googled for companies that make overlays but nobody seems to have one for my Express. SO starting to run out of steam..

Just hoping for some guidance? Maybe there's somewhere in France that would produce an overlay (?) Any advice would be gratefully received.

With very many thanks indeed
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: Renault Express Speedo needs to show mph

Post by xantia_v6 »

I don't know much about the Renault Express (sold in the UK as the Renault Extra), but it was based on the Renault 5, so would a speedometer from a Renault 5 fit?

'professionally produced' is not really a testable condition, so as long as the overlay does not look home-made, there should be a possibility to do something yourself by dismantling the speedo, taking a good photo and then with am image editing program add a set of MPH markings. Then printing the result onto a suitable paper or plastic film, cutting out and sticking on.
Beewoman

Re: Renault Express Speedo needs to show mph

Post by Beewoman »

Thankyou xantia_v6. I'll have a go at that. Manyctganks for your help :)