Citroen C5 X7 - Car Shaking in R

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

msionut28

Citroen C5 X7 - Car Shaking in R

Post by msionut28 »

Merry Christmas, everyone! (although a bit late :-D )

I've got a strange issue and I'm planning on taking my car (C5 X7 2.0 HDI) to a local dealership so they can have a look on it, but meanwhile I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the issue might be related to. It does not happen very often, but every now and again, while reversing, the whole car starts shaking and the revs drop to maybe 5-600 rpm? However, if I'll quickly switch it back to D and then to R again, the issue seems to go away, and the revs are as they should be. So far, I had someone else's thought on it and recommended checking the glow plugs. The current mileage is roughly 175.000 Miles/ 282.000 KM, owning the car since the mileage was as low as 87.000 miles/ 140.000 KM and I have never replaced them. So, any ideas? Many thanks!
aerodynamica
Donor 2023

Re: Citroen C5 X7 - Car Shaking in R

Post by aerodynamica »

Happy Christmas, I can't be sure but I find that mine shakes a bit in R when the car is on a slope/ incline. I recall reading something in the owner's manual that stated there can be a vibration in R and that it is not a fault. I would check the level of the transmission fluid to ensure that is correct.
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
msionut28

Post by msionut28 »

Well, that's the thing, it shakes on flat surfaces too. And it's not something unnoticeable, it seems like it lacks engine power for some reason, revs start dropping and that's when the whole shake party starts. :-D It genuinely feels like when driving a manual and not applying enough gas while lifting the clutch. LDS Fluid is just between min-max, as I have just recently topped it up - I wasn't aware of the fact that the car had to be on a specific height setting whenever lifted off the ground and therefore my steering fluid leaked while changing tires. #-o I've been away for a few days, but I am back in my city tomorrow. Will be taking the Citroen to my local dealership and I'll come back with some updates just in case they might be of any help to someone else.
aerodynamica
Donor 2023

Post by aerodynamica »

Just to clarify: I am not talking about the level of LDS fluid - that is only for the power steering and Hydractive suspension. I am talking about the transmission fluid for the gearbox. It must be checked with the car at full temperature, having selected the various gear positions and the drain plug small central plug removed. It requires the engine undertray to be removed and the level check must be done when you already have spare new fluid ready because some will be lost when checked. It is also essential that you only put in fluid that is correct for the 6 speed auto transmission AND the correct engine and build year because it depends on the year. It is a complicated method to check the fluid level but I think it is the only way. There is no dipstick for this gearbox.
Graeme M
msionut28

Post by msionut28 »

Hi,

Yes, my bad, I misread your last reply. I had the transmission fluid changed last September as there was a leak caused by a transmission shaft seal? - not sure this is the proper English translation for it but I hope it makes sense to you. So, what I'm thinking now is maybe the garage where I had my service done at did not was the recommended oil for my transmission maybe?

Although, it seems a bit odd that this issue only started happening in the past couple of weeks and it's been a few months since then. Anyhow, I'll double check the owner's manual and the invoice as well just to make sure the proper oil has been used and I'll follow up from then. I will also have the transmission fluid level checked by my local dealership as I am booked for a Hydractive Suspension check on 9th of January anyway, so I might as well do that. The thing is, at least in my city, it seems like some guys have to be guided and told/ pointed at things to look at as it is not a popular make and model in Romania.. Thus, there are not a lot of knowledgeable garages that can deal with the more complicated issues of the car. Thanks a lot for your reply, it is of great help for me because at least now I have a track to follow. Cheers! :wink:
aerodynamica
Donor 2023

Post by aerodynamica »

Don't worry, garages here don't understand them either..
Graeme M