Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: Forum outage 2/12/2023

Post by Paul-R »

Not on mine .
Screenshot_20231207_105922_com.android.chrome.jpg
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What if you turn your phone into landscape? You may just not have enough display real estate on your model.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Any menu items that can't displayed are usually in the hamburger menu shown on your phone in the middle of 'Board Index' & 'Contact Us'

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Yes, it was in the hamburger which I'd never really noticed, and certainly never opened, until now. And yes, going landscape revealed it but who works like that?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Websites have to be recomposed for mobile devices and tablets. So you'll find what is displayed different depending on how your browser / device interprets and displays the info and on the screen size available.

Landscape is used predominately for tablets and optionally for phones. I use it very often for the simple reason I often request desktop versions of some websites as the mobile interpretations are terrible. Having the option is better than not having it. Gamers also use landscape mode and some navigation apps are better in landscape too. It all depends on the individual.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I try not to do anything important or complex on the phone. It's definitely a secondary way of viewing for me.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

On most phones (unless the screen is unfashionably small) holding the phone sideways (landscape) changes the display mode, giving the same layout as on a PC. Alternatively on a phone in portrait mode, you should find a ≡ symbol near the bottom (to the right of the page breadcrumbs, which will also take you to the delete cookies link.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Like I said, I don't like to do anything important on the phone. I find it incomprehensible that people base their lives around their phone.

Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I honestly can't believe this thread has lasted this long!!! It's new, it's different, get used to it, nothing wrong with future proofing the server/forum. As in New FCF members will want to hopefully join from a different generation and not worry about symbols that were once there etc. I just hope and pray that Jim has no say in the colour options. But it's new and interesting
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
yoseff

Post by yoseff »

I also tried to access the forum while it was offline. By the same time i was experiencing problems on my internet , so i was not sure if the problem was from my side (and was not so worried :lol: )
But after see the maintenance notice, i realize that the issue was not (only) in my side.
All i want to say is Thank You to those who help to keep this great library of information and shared knowledge on these machines we enjoy so much =D>
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I've just been on the homepage, do you really need Citroen, DS, Peugeot etc as separate headers for topics? Last Peugeot one I found was 2001. Would it make more sense to merge all to one group?
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

We intend to redo the home page and tidy up a few things after I have finished some background work.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Rp0thejester wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 20:05 I've just been on the homepage, do you really need Citroen, DS, Peugeot etc as separate headers for topics? Last Peugeot one I found was 2001. Would it make more sense to merge all to one group?
Yes it is important, otherwise it's just one complete mess and even harder to find relevant information. People generally like some sort of organisation. That's why there are Peugeot Forums, DS Forums, Aircross Forums etc., If we merged all these it would be total chaos.

Not sure what you mean by the last Peugeot one you 'found' was in 2001?? You're obviously not following any of the subjects that I and others are replying to daily...

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

xantia_v6 wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 20:35 If you spot any other anomolies or missing data, please report them here.
Mike possibly an anomaly concerning old photobucket images.

In the days of the photobucket demise after being probably the go to image hosting site for forum members, a lot of images were in danger of being lost, and the content of the threads of the forum badly affected. At the time a fix was engineered on the FCF and the former photobucket images were somehow still made accessible. This was years ago, and to be honest folk rarely consult the FCF archives, and the odd missing pic is really of no consequence.

I think there has been a change though in recent updates and evidence for that in 2023, in my "February Ferret" thread one of the old threads the random hand landed on was my "My 100th Post...Working in a Muddy Puddle"

I was able in 2023 to bring the first post in that thread into the "February Ferret" thread with I presume the pictures associated with it at that time. I wouldn't have posted the "pictures" in February 2023, if all they contained was a Photobucket error message. At that time I think those old original pictures were available.

Here's the post in 2023 I am referring to...
The question I have is, have all former photobucket hosted images been "lost" from the forum, as a result of new updates which have negated the effect of the fix that was originally applied. :?:

As I mentioned, personally speaking I am not bothered, the photobucket stuff is indeed well into yesterday's chip wrappers territory, and certainly doesn't justify any effort to reinstate them if indeed my interpretation is correct.

Thanks

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey