DS5 - Upgrade SMEG IV2 to NAC

This is the Connected NAV system.
Main Features: It is a fully integrated Telematics System featuring CarPlay, Android Auto, Real Time Services, Voice Commands, High-Res Display, 3D Navigation, Bluetooth Hands Free & USB. 2 versions of the system are available NAC (Navigation Audio Connectée) and RCC (Radio Couleur Connectée) or Connected Colour Radio, which does not have the Integrated Navigation or Live Services.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Crystalyne

DS5 - Upgrade SMEG IV2 to NAC

Post by Crystalyne »

Hey all,

As of late, my SMEG+IV2 seems to be on it's way out, complaining of a phantom "USB device not available. Power supply fault. Please disconnect all devices." - There isn't anything plugged into the USB port, and the message can't be dismissed (or, it can but will come back immediately, functionally bricking the SMEG)

I found this thread, which seems to cover the same issue, which says that the SMEG units will pretty much all have this failure if the USB port actually gets used, but it was resolved with the NAC - https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/p ... ue.364910/

Given that a new SMEG unit would likely cost £1000+, and the lack of native Android Auto support, I figured I'd give a NAC retrofit a shot as I've seen that other members in the forum have success doing this (and, it'd be cheaper to do).

I've done some research into it, and I know I need a NAC Wave 4 for my vehicle as it's a Hybrid4 and the other NAC Wave units don't have hardware compatibility with the hybrid modules; and that the NAC will require coding and configuration according to my car's VIN.

Anyway, to the question:
Would the existing touchscreen work with the NAC unit? Or would I need to source a touchscreen from a later DS5 (that came with a NAC factory-fitted)?

My VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Many thanks!
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 18 Nov 2023, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to NAC Telematics Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: DS5 - Upgrade SMEG IV2 to NAC

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No it wouldn't and that's not the only issue, as this unit was never designed for this vehicle, so may not work properly with the earlier Hybrid tech. Then you have the VIN coding issue as NAC units are later tech and won't allow you to code them using offline Diagbox - so then you have the issue of online telecoding and that won't code because the VIN won't specify this as an option.

It's too much to go into here along with future updates and licencing - so you'll have to speak to somebody who has done it directly - and given that you have the Hybrid DS 5 may bring in another level of difficulty.

Citroen and DS won't support this, so you'll have to rely on those who have done this on a Hybrid.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Crystalyne

Post by Crystalyne »

That's annoying.

I've already figured out 2 options regarding coding of the NAC, either by getting the seller of the NAC unit to do it (as some do offer it), or doing it myself using the Arduino method (as seen here - https://vlud.net/nac-telecodage.html )

I've drilled down far enough to have found a configuration file which allows for a UK-spec DS5 to be equipped with a NAC Wave4 (available here - https://github.com/ludwig-v/arduino-psa ... 995880.cal ), but yeah, no mentions of the DS5 hybrid.

I've seen a video on Youtube which shows a 2012 MY Peugeot 508 that was modified in the same way that does have the Hybrid system - to my understanding, the hybrid system is essentially the same between my car and that car? (Video available here - ) - so, in theory, it should be possible for the NAC to interface with the Hybrid system on my car, but it's a question of how exactly the configuration differs.

I might also get in touch with a company which offers NAC retrofits and see if they'd be interested in having a go. (These guys - https://www.magpieautos.com/ ) They're based at the other end of the country to me, but might be worth a trip if they think they could tackle the upgrade.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes it really needs some confirmation before you embark on this mission as you don't want to pay for all the kit to be stumped at the last hurdle.

Maybe MacSlavko can chip in if he read this. He's done something similar from RT6:

viewtopic.php?t=69891

Marc
Crystalyne

Post by Crystalyne »

Thinking aloud, I suppose that if my above thought is correct (that the Hybrid system between my car and the 508 is essentially the same), it might be possible to pick apart the configuration for the 508 Hybrid, see which options need to be enabled to make the hybrid system work, and then transfer them into the DS5 configuration, which (in theory) should get all things working.

508 configuration here (https://github.com/ludwig-v/arduino-psa ... 553180.cal)

But yeah, if MacSlavko could give some input (if he reads this!) that'd be great!
Tomas1

Post by Tomas1 »

Use the calibration file DS5_WAVE4-UK-9692995880, copy the configuration file from SMEG lV2 and according to it modify the configuration file from Nac Wave 4 with Arduino.
It's just a personal opinion, I did the modification only on a Peugeot 308 CAN2004 and not on a DS 5 hybrid.
Crystalyne

Post by Crystalyne »

Tomas1 wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 09:35 Use the calibration file DS5_WAVE4-UK-9692995880, copy the configuration file from SMEG lV2 and according to it modify the configuration file from Nac Wave 4 with Arduino.
It's just a personal opinion, I did the modification only on a Peugeot 308 CAN2004 and not on a DS 5 hybrid.
Interesting - yeah, that sounds like it would work. How can I get the configuration off of the existing SMEG unit? As far as I know, the Arduino software can only communicate with a NAC or RCC unit.
Tomas1

Post by Tomas1 »

The SMEG configuration can be seen with Diagbox.
Crystalyne

Post by Crystalyne »

Looking at the hardware needed, I've ran across 3 different part numbers for screens which are compatible with the NAC:
Is there any meaningful difference between the 3 of them? Or are they all (functionally) the same thing (and don't require special coding or a specific NAC version - I'm aware the NAC has an SD variant and an HD variant)?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

PSA don not make the differences available, they only provide the correct part numbers for the specific systems, so I can't advise you on this, but are likely to be build date dependent and hardware capability dependent.

I would add that they don't make different parts available for the sake of it, and often use the same part across the marques where appropriate for the vehicle, the telematics system incorporated and as said the build date, so the different part numbers are there for a reason.

Examples: MyWay screens are different from RT6 screens are different from RT3, RT4, SMEG, SMEG+ IV, NAC, RCC etc.

Marc
Tomas1

Post by Tomas1 »

Depending on the code, the fastening system may differ.
robdevil

Post by robdevil »

Crystalyne wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 16:20 Looking at the hardware needed, I've ran across 3 different part numbers for screens which are compatible with the NAC:
Is there any meaningful difference between the 3 of them? Or are they all (functionally) the same thing (and don't require special coding or a specific NAC version - I'm aware the NAC has an SD variant and an HD variant)?
Some screens could be a new build. Also different Mounting for various models. And some are multi touch.