Renault 16 TL 1969 resto project

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

felix83

Renault 16 TL 1969 resto project

Post by felix83 »

As a present for my 40th I got my brother's old car that he's had for about 15 years; a 1969 Renault 16 TL, allegedly with a TS engine. It's been off the road since 2015 and doesn't have a spark. The plan is to have this as a project for me and my 9 year old, with the goal of getting it through its final safety inspection. (I live in Sweden where cars over 50 years of age are MOT exempt, provided they have passed once after turning 50).
The car was sold new in Sweden, and has only had 4 previous owners, counting dealers and -obviously- my brother.
Its new home for the foreseeable future
Its new home for the foreseeable future
It's developed glaucoma over the years, luckily I got a pair of good used headlights with the car
It's developed glaucoma over the years, luckily I got a pair of good used headlights with the car
Delivery
Delivery
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Renault 16 TL 1969 resto project

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Good luck with your project Felix. .

You may be interested in this list of sales of Renault 16's over recent years at classic car auctions as tracked by Glenmarch.

https://www.glenmarch.com/cars/results? ... old_cars=0#

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
felix83

Post by felix83 »

Fault finding: I've established I don't have +12V to the coil with the key in the 'on' position. Will remove the ignition lock to investigate further.
Isn't it just glorious when previous owners have added additional cables just to get things to work? 🤬
Spaghetti junction
Spaghetti junction
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

felix83 wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 13:55 Fault finding: I've established I don't have +12V to the coil with the key in the 'on' position. Will remove the ignition lock to investigate further.
Isn't it just glorious when previous owners have added additional cables just to get things to work? 🤬
In the blogs section probably the most interesting blog on the forum is this one, many many pages over many years but currently Zel is restoring a Rover P6 3500, and finding the odd wiring bodges.

viewtopic.php?p=775497#p775497

Also has a Renault 25 in his fleet.

The Renault section of the forum is a bit of a desert so you may find more readers and helpers by starting a blog on your restoration in the blogs and galleries section of the forum. Some members will have had a Renault 16 at one time or other, and you will find that general practical car knowledge of fixing and renovating cars on here is second to none regardless of the make or model, and always someone willing to chip in and help.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey