C6 RT3 very poor radio reception

This is the RT3 unit and was made by Magneti Marelli
The RT3 was available in a few different hardware versions, the later ones supporting MP3 playback. These units had an optical connection to the Display Screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

jamescarruthers
Donor 2023

C6 RT3 very poor radio reception

Post by jamescarruthers »

My C6 has never had the best radio reception in the few years I have had it now. It has gotten worse so as to be un-listenable now.

It can only pick up the strongest of stations and seems to be even worse with those lower down the FM range. What it can pick up it full of static and the indicators do seem to influence it as the hiss gets better when one is illuminated! AM is just as bad-- I tried out of desperation on a long trip!

Is this likely to be a head unit needing repair or is there a magic box that does radio signal amplification?
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 3.0 petrol Exclusive
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C6 RT3 very poor radio reception

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It’s more likely to be the aerial assembly, amplifier unit James.

One way to tell is to get a cheap aerial with Dakar from the bay of evil and connect this into the relevant FM sockets at the rear of the head unit and stick the aerial in the dash temporarily. If there’s an improvement it’s likely to be water ingress into the aerial assembly. If no improvement, and you’ve checked the rear connections, then it may well be the internal tuners.

This is similar to the GPS antenna when testing the roof aerial out and the same applies, - if the satellite numbers improve, its indicative of the aerial assembly again.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jamescarruthers
Donor 2023

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 14:27 It’s more likely to be the aerial assembly, amplifier unit James.

One way to tell is to get a cheap aerial with Dakar from the bay of evil and connect this into the relevant FM sockets at the rear of the head unit and stick the aerial in the dash temporarily. If there’s an improvement it’s likely to be water ingress into the aerial assembly. If no improvement, and you’ve checked the rear connections, then it may well be the internal tuners.

This is similar to the GPS antenna when testing the roof aerial out and the same applies, - if the satellite numbers improve, its indicative of the aerial assembly again.
Thanks Marc. The C6 doesn't seem to have a roof aerial like my C5 did. Where would this unit be on the car?
1987 Volvo 480 ES
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so here's what I have on the system James:

Aerial diagram
C6 Aerial.PNG
(1) Radio Aerial
(4) Aerial Cable
(5) Aerial Cable
(6) Aerial Cable
(20) Aerial Switching Unit
(25) Filter for Aerial
(30) Impedance Adaptor

This is the 'FUBA' Diversity Unit
C6 Diver.PNG
(21) RT3 audio/telephone.
(22) FM2 radio aerial.
(23) FM1/AM radio aerial.
(24) Diversity unit.
(c) ISO connector.
(d) FAKRA connector.
(e) 3-way yellow MQS connector.
The diversity unit is used mainly by the twin tuner function.

The diversity unit makes it possible to obtain a better quality of reception via the intermediary of two radio aerials:
  • The second aerial continuously searches for a better reception frequency than that received by the first aerial
  • The diversity unit selects the best frequency and transfers it to the RT3 radiotelephone
The diversity unit is located under the glove box (left hand drive vehicle).
The diversity unit is located behind the glove box (right hand drive vehicle).
C6 Aerial b.PNG
(21) RT3 audio/telephone.
(22) FM2 radio aerial.
(23) FM1/AM radio aerial.
(25) Dual-function aerial (GSM/GPS) located near the dual-function rain and brightness sensor.
(26) Radio aerial adaptor.
C6 Aerial adaptor.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jamescarruthers
Donor 2023

Thanks for all this. By the magic of C6ness, reception has worked perfectly for about six months now after a year of not working!
1987 Volvo 480 ES