Ciroen DS 5 Radio / Nav / Entertainment System Issues

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Laythingy59

Ciroen DS 5 Radio / Nav / Entertainment System Issues

Post by Laythingy59 »

Just bought a 2013 DS5 hybrid and having a few issues with the entertainment system.

Whenever I start the car, it asks me to insert the navigation system cd. I can change to radio etc but it does it each time I start the car. And sometimes it doesn't always happen straight away.
On a couple of occasions, the radio just goes off completely.

I've come across several posts which talk about corrupt SD cards, updating firmware and updating maps.

I just wondered if I'm on the right tracks and if so are there any good guides on how to replace the SD card and do the updates? I'm fairly techy so don't mind giving it a go

SW version is RNEG2.71.C.1
CD number is 8614

Thanks
Adam
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 14 Apr 2023, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to RT6 Telematics Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Ciroen DS 5 Radio / Nav / Entertainment System Issues

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are 2 separate things here the firmware and the map updates.

The latest version of the firmware is 2.86, however this comes with risks, depending on the firmware level you are upgrading from as it is a major (and the last) update available and it may leave your system with some options not working, so caution is advised if considering updating the Firmware.

As for the maps, this message can mean either the internal MicroSD card is on the way out or the partition with the map data has become corrupt. If you have your last map update still on USB, you may want to just try and reinstall that first to see if it fixes the issue.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Laythingy59

Post by Laythingy59 »

Thanks Marc

I don't have any of the files. I only picked the car up yesterday and it was from an independent.
Are they available to download online?

Where is the internal MicroSD card located?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The maps are installed via a USB. The files are available from Citroen Navigation for the mapping:

https://citroen.navigation.com/home/en_ ... enEMEA/GBP

The MicroSD card you don't touch - that's internal and holds the operating system and other crucial files, one partition of which is for mapping.

Marc
Laythingy59

Post by Laythingy59 »

Thanks Marc
Taking it back to the place I got it tomorrow. Hopefully they can sort it. If not I feel a trip to citroen
Laythingy59

Post by Laythingy59 »

Didn't have much luck taking it back. Think it might be a trip to citroen unless anyone else has a suggestion
Laythingy59

Post by Laythingy59 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 21:09 The maps are installed via a USB. The files are available from Citroen Navigation for the mapping:

https://citroen.navigation.com/home/en_ ... enEMEA/GBP

The MicroSD card you don't touch - that's internal and holds the operating system and other crucial files, one partition of which is for mapping.
Hi Mark, I was reading one of your older posts and I think you sent someone the latest firmware files. rneg_D_R50b_R50.03
Do you still have them? if so could you send them to me please?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That firmware (rneg_D_R50b_R50.03) is not for this system. That is for the RNEG (MyWay) not the RNEG2 (eMyWay or RT6).

The latest and last RT6 firmware is V2.86, but there are risks associated with this update. If it works fine, I would leave it well alone as on some vehicles and depending on the existing firmware version, it can leave your system reset to defaults requiring a dealer visit.

Looking at info I have though, if your current firmware is as you've listed V2.71, and on a CAN2010 vehicle which the DS5 is, then you may be ok to upgrade to 2.86. But I strongly suggest you only do this if necessary and secondly take a backup of your user configuration first. To do this follow only Part A of the Mirascripts section (from the guide for replacing the Internal MicroSD card) in case you need to restore your configuration later.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=63227

I will send you a PM with the file you need.

Marc
Mares

Post by Mares »

I will jump into this thread, I have 2011 DS5 with RT6, latest firmware, working well for the past 4-5 years. Recently I noticed bluetooth connection issue and my mobile phone (Android system). The same phone was connecting smoothly for the past 1 year. Now, RT6 takes several minutes to recognize my phone and connects via bluetooth, sometimes it does not recognize at all and stays disconnected, and sometimes after connecting with the phone, it disconnects automatically after 1-2 minutes.

I did not have free time to try RT6 and other mobile device, but nothing was changed/updated nor on my mobile nor on RT6 for months.

Could this issue be linked with dying MicroSD card?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If the system starts slowing up, then that is a possibility, as things like the contacts and the user data is stored on a partition on the internal MicroSD card, which have a limited life. There are only so many write cycles that the memory cells can undertake, then they can't be used, so eventually, the system slows or becomes unresponsive or starts to exhibit strange behaviour.

It could be an internal problem with the RT6 hardware, but hard to say for sure.

Marc
Mares

Post by Mares »

To write an update, 2 days after I wrote my previous post car battery died. I was on a business trip abroad with the car and on my way to hotel I got error message on a dashboard about electricity issue (never had that before). Although car worked normally, 2 days later and I could not start the car unless jumped with cables. After battery replacement, no problem with connection between RT6 and my mobile phone. Not sure if this is coincidence, anyhow strange that bad battery could affect such issue while all other electrical things were operating well in the car.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Some systems are very voltage-sensitive. There are many systems on the car that operate (some timed and some permanently) whilst the vehicle ignition is switched off.

If the main vehicle battery is in poor health, it won't hold a charge for very long. A battery over 5 years old will have lost a lot of its original capacity depending on use. It was obviously falling below voltage and this is why you were getting the message, so the alternator was either not able to charge it sufficiently, or your alternator / alternator wiring is faulty. So be wary of this, because if you've replaced the battery and there is an alternator / wiring fault then the vehicle's systems will be running off the new battery until that runs down too. Hopefully though it was just that your main battery was end of service life.

Marc
Mares

Post by Mares »

Battery was 4,5 years old, although I noticed for a while it goes into economy mode after just couple of minutes while ignition on (should it go to economy after 20 minutes?), I did not know it meant weak battery. Alternator should be ok as it shows reference voltage of 15,1V and battery voltage of 14.88V while idle.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The charge may be showing 14.3-14.8v while idling, which would indicate the alternator is outputting ok, but the battery may not be holding the charge and capacity is likely to be reduced. At least you have it sorted now.

Economy mode is managed by the BSI, but it uses information from the battery charge status unit that monitors the battery health and fine tunes the energy management used by the BSI. So there is no set economy time like older vehicles - it depends on the state of the battery as to when it kicks in.

Marc
Laythingy59

Post by Laythingy59 »

I've still not had chance to do this. Car went into limp mode and the garage had it back for nearly 2 weeks. going to try this weekend. will report back