RD45 on C4 Picasso 2011

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Andreiva

RD45 on C4 Picasso 2011

Post by Andreiva »

Hi!
I have an 2011 C4 Picasso that came with a RD4 radio and no Bluetooth support which is less than ideal and would like to see if it's possible to replace the RD4 with a RD45. Most threads about this seem to be related to the models that have a separate smaller screen for audio functions while the Picasso has only 1 big screen. The current display has no options related to BT and I understand only certain versions can have BT activated with diagbox. Basically my question is how can I check if my display would be compatible with a rd45/bt, preferably without needing diagbox.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: RD45 on C4 Picasso 2011

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi

Pop your VIN up for me (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff) and I'll see exactly what you have first of all.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Andreiva

Post by Andreiva »

Alright, here you go: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I was just checking that you didn't have any hands free telephone interface equipment (used for RD4 systems). There was the option of RD45 on some later models, so it is possible, but there are a few instrument display options based on build date.

So I don't have a simple yes or no answer as to whether your existing instrument display will be compatible if you replace the unit with an RD45. However as you'll need to configure the BSI in any case to code in the VIN to any new RD45 unit you buy, you may as well try. There are some other parameters that will need configuring too if replacing the RD4 to RD45.

Marc
Andreiva

Post by Andreiva »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 17:26 Ok, so I was just checking that you didn't have any hands free telephone interface equipment (used for RD4 systems). There was the option of RD45 on some later models, so it is possible, but there are a few instrument display options based on build date.

So I don't have a simple yes or no answer as to whether your existing instrument display will be compatible if you replace the unit with an RD45. However as you'll need to configure the BSI in any case to code in the VIN to any new RD45 unit you buy, you may as well try. There are some other parameters that will need configuring too if replacing the RD4 to RD45.
Before buying a arguably kind of expensive diagbox interface could I check compatibility by taking the dashboard apart and seeing what is written on the display module or something similar?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That won't help really, as we don't have a comparative C4 Picasso with the RD45 as standard equipment with which to compare the instrument panel with. So as these displays are integrated into the instrument panel on this model, the normal MFD display and software versions on other vehicles won't apply.

Also, I'd be wary about replacing the instrument panel in any case as if you were to obtain a diesel versioned one for your vehicle, that is from a vehicle with higher mileage, it will automatically set your own vehicle to whichever is the higher mileage once connected.

So the best thing you can do is see if you have any friends with a Lexia kit that can telecode this for you or a friendly garage.

Marc
Andreiva

Post by Andreiva »

Got myself the diagnostic tool and Diagbox, what do I need to check to see if it would be compatible with an rd45, checking in the instrument panel it didn't seem to have an configurable bt option, does that mean I am out of luck or would that show up only with an rd45 already installed?
Andreiva

Post by Andreiva »

On a closer look I seem to have a Nomad Menu Option thing, is that related to rd45 BT or that hands free kit thing that was sometimes used with the rd4? Though there is another option specifically for the hands free kit...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, you're getting confused, let me explain.

Vehicles with RD4 units could be specified on order with a hands-free option. This is what is referred to in Diagbox by the NOMAD unit. It is a separate Bluetooth module that is linked to the vehicle and the RD4 and Multifunction screen.

The RD45 is a different head unit, and generally has a different MFD screen. RD45 has Bluetooth built in, so has ne need of a NOMAD unit.

Do not configure anything for options or equipment you do not have and be very careful with what you are doing with Diagbox as you can render equipment, displays, features and even your car inoperable if you don't know what you are doing.

Have a read of this first:

viewtopic.php?t=60600

If you do physically change the Head unit to and RD45 and the MFD screen to a compatible version, you will need to both telecode the VIN to the new RD45 and undertake some configuration changes. However, you may not have the microphone installed and if so, it may not be connectable, so may need an aftermarket version.

Marc
Andreiva

Post by Andreiva »

The MFD is integrated into the cluster gauge so I can't change just the MFD, what I am asking is how to check if my current MFD would be compatible with an RD45 (and all it's features) instead of the factory installed RD4.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't tell you that as the vehicle was not provided with an RD45 to start with.

The only way is to try it by purchasing a second hand display module from the instrument cluster and RD45 from a C4 Picasso which came with RD45 as fitted as standard.

That's why they had a hands free kit for early RD4 vehicles in the first place before RD45 was released later on.

Marc
Andreiva

Post by Andreiva »

Huh, thanks for the help.
Andreiva

Post by Andreiva »

I found a cheap rd45 for sale locally and decided to try my luck with it. After some trial and error I managed to get it working (besides missing microphone).

If anyone is interested after getting the rd45 settings as close to the previous rd4 ones as possible all I had to do is enable the "hands free kit" option in the rd45, instrument cluster and bsi configuration menus.