Peugeot 308 radio/ sat nav fault

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Mf01

Peugeot 308 radio/ sat nav fault

Post by Mf01 »

I have a 2013 308 with an Rt6 head unit. I have the following errors that I’ve had for ages but didn’t think there was a fix without paying the main dealers.

Check in progress displayed,
Please insert the displayed navigation CD,
SAT NAV screen has no map showing
Whole system randomly switches off and resets every few minutes……constantly 😩

I have found an update cd but sounds like I need to replace the enclosed sd card. Can I just swap the card for a new on ? If I’m supposed to clone the old one won’t it fail if the current one is corrupt?

I know that a lot but it’s this or but a new stereo

Thanks in advance
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Peugeot 308 radio/ sat nav fault

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I suggest you read through the first post (at least) of this topic:

viewtopic.php?t=63227

If your internal MicroSD card has or is starting to fail, then it's probably too late at this stage to think about cloning the complete card, as all you will be doing is cloning the corrupt files. However, if you read through the post, you will see that there is still the possibility that Mirascripts can copy the critical configuration / user files that you need to restore on a new MicroSD card that may prevent it from defaulting to factory values, requiring a dealer visit for reconfiguration.

So I would at least attempt to extract the critical files as per the guidance first. If that is successful, then you should be able to replace the card with a new one, use the latest firmware (2.86) which will recreate all the partitions and operating system, then you can use the Part B of the Mirascript programme to restore the user / vehicle configuration data, which should restore all the factory fitted options and configuration you had.

At this stage I think you have little to lose. Be aware that replacing with a non-OEM head unit will very likely remove access to vehicle menu and configuration settings.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mf01

Post by Mf01 »

Thanks for your reply and I will read the link, what if I bought a new Peugeot head unit 2nd hand? That should work right ? I’m definitely going to try your suggestion but I’m just thinking alternatives.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That is a possibility of course, be be aware of the following:

1) You have no idea of the condition of the second hand unit, so the same thing could happen.
2) You must ensure you replace the exact same part number with the one from your vehicle as there are many variants of RT6 units and not all have the same hardware in (that support a reversing camera for example), so compare the long number on the back of your unit starting with 96****** etc.
3) You will still need to have the unit VIN-coded to your vehicle or it wont work properly (anti-theft) and if it was not from the exact model with exact trim and build date, you may also need the unit configuring to reflect the exact equipment and options fitted to your vehicle.
4) It is not always possible to do this yourself or with a diagnostic tool as the RT6 can go into secure mode requiring a dealer visit.

So best to see if you can extract the files first, then try replacing the internal MicroSD card as per the guidance as it won't cost you much to try, apart from time and a new card. As you've probably gathered, these units are very much integrated with the vehicle's systems.

Marc
Mf01

Post by Mf01 »

Got you, thanks
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I had the "Insert the navigation CD" message on my RT6 (eMyWay) unit in my X7 a few years ago. In my case it was caused by a corrupted map. Almost certainly caused in my case by not allowing the full update to go through on one of the countries and accidentally switching off on the key!

I was about to upload the then current maps again when new maps came out and simply overwriting the old maps with the new ones sorted the problem out. Strangely it wasn't an instant fix. The unit continued to ask for the navigation CD and then rebooted. After that it was fine and I haven't had a problem since.

Have you updated your maps recently?

What version firmware do you currently have on your RT6?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Mf01

Post by Mf01 »

I’m
Using the cd map and waiting for it to arrive, haven’t got the firmware version to hand but it was 2.75 I think. So you think just do the cd first ? Dreading the the whole sd card thing to be honest
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Before you do anything, I would first get hold of Mirascripts and extract the user data files as described in Part A of the thread I linked to previously. If you do have a corrupt or failing MicroSD card then the act of overwriting or copying any further data onto the card with firmware or a map update can worsen the situation!

At least you increase the chances of recovering your critical user data files first off. It only takes a few minutes.

Then, you can try with the firmware restoration and / or a map update afterwards if you wish.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I didn't (and don't) do any updating from a CD, I update from a USB drive. What exactly do you mean by "I’m using the cd map and waiting for it to arrive"? Are you paying for the map update?

My firmware was already 2.86b as the head unit had been replaced under warranty. I only updated the maps. At this stage I wouldn't try updating the firmware. 2.75 is reasonably late.

It's sensible to make a backup using Mirascripts as Marc describes. Then you can try map updating in case this is all it needs. Incidentally, while you're using Mirascripts it's a good idea to disable the need to input a code for map updates.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Mf01

Post by Mf01 »

Ok, I’ll do the Mira script first.

I was buying the cd from someone who could either send a usb or was happy to send a cd, I figured I just slot the cd in when it arrives.

I hate car problems and everything technical but it seems like this method is best. Need to buy an sd card so will get one and try it out.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Cd for the firmware or the maps? Regardless, both are available for free.

Mf01

Post by Mf01 »

It’s a sat nav update so I’m guessing the maps, it was just on eBay. Didn’t realise I could get it free.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

If it's maps then you'll need to input a code for the head unit to accept the new maps. Did the vendor ask for your VIN? If they didn't then they're either leaving you on your own to generate the code (not difficult but naughty) or it's the firmware update.

As I mentioned before, if you're going to play with Mirascripts then I strongly recommend that you "untick" the need for a code for new maps anyway.

Mf01

Post by Mf01 »

Yeah he asked for a vin number and said it was compatible. I know you said it’s free but I don’t know where from and if it’s not obvious I’m clueless, easier just to do the Mira script and buy the cd right (bare in mind before this I was about to spend £300 + on an android head unit)
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I have a PDF showing how to remove the need for the code using Mirascripts. I can't send it by PM but if you PM me your email address I'll send it to you that way.

If you don't already have Mirascripts I can send that at the same time if you want.