Mobile doesn't automatically connect

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Adec1

Mobile doesn't automatically connect

Post by Adec1 »

Can anyone help? I have to manually connect my mobile phone every time I turn on my ignition as it does not manually connect. Is there an update or do I need a new head unit. Thanks in advance. :)
I should add that the unit is in a 2012 308....it's more frustrating than a problem.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Mobile doesn't automatically connect

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Which unit do you have - an RD4 or RD45?

The reason I ask is that the RD4 must use a separate hands free unit for bluetooth, whereas the RD45 has bluetooth built in. If you're not sure, pop your VIN up and I'll find out (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

Also, what software is on your phone, if it's android the recent Android 13 update, has an option to auto connect, or not, don't remember seeing it on other levels, but then again did not look.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Adec1

Post by Adec1 »

My vin number is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. I'm not sure on what head unit I have. Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OK, so you have an RD45 unit, so that makes it somewhat easier.

This can often be caused my various issues, but in many cases when the mobile phone has been updated it can cause connection issues with older Bluetooth profiles on the vehicle hardware.

One thing I always suggest is completely removing all paired phones from the RD45 and also remove the paired connection from your phone under bluetooth connections. You must remove them completely (delete the connections) as this is required to create a new pairing from scratch.

Restart the mobile phone (reboot it) first and also once you have removed all paired phones from the car, switch the ignition off, lock the car and leave it for 10 minutes, before trying the pairing sequence again from scratch.

Marc
Adec1

Post by Adec1 »

Thank you Marc, I shall try that. I forgot to mention that some of the display options are pixilated. What does this mean?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That may be the EMF-C Multifunction screen or the RD45 itself - hard to tell if it is the radio not sending the data or the screen LCD that is giving up.

Marc
Adec1

Post by Adec1 »

I have nothing stored in my connected devices either. It's really baffling
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have found that the RD45 does not connect reliably to some models of phone. Try a different phone, just to check that the RD45 configuration is correct.

Are you connecting for hands-free or streaming, or both?
Adec1

Post by Adec1 »

I'm trying both. I've had the car a few years now and have tried iPhones and andriods with the same result. When i perform a Bluetooth search using the RD45 it says no device found if that helps.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

xantia_v6 wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 20:30 I have found that the RD45 does not connect reliably to some models of phone. Try a different phone, just to check that the RD45 configuration is correct.

Are you connecting for hands-free or streaming, or both?
You're right about this as, 99% of the time mine connects the only time it doesn't is when I really wish it had done.🙄
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Ahmedhussen

Post by Ahmedhussen »

Hi there guys... I've been trying to search the internet to solve this issue but I didn't go anywhere around it ,,I think this is the only Page I found someone talking about it ,,I have my Citroen c3 2010 1.6 HDi and I do have the same issue.
bluetooth does not connect automatically I have to pair it every time I turn the engine on ,,pixelized screen as well ,, tried different phones but didn't work.
Do you think if I change the radio with help thank you guys
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Do you have RD4 or RD45? What is the marking on the button to the right of the CD slot?
Ahmedhussen

Post by Ahmedhussen »

I think its rd45 .the button is TA/PTY..
Ahmedhussen

Post by Ahmedhussen »

Do you think resetting BSI will help