A Spanish Adventure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: A Spanish Adventure

Post by mickthemaverick »

As a one eighth Scot myself, and proud of that heritage, I tend to agree with your comments Dave, however I think the problem with expanding the use of VAR in footy would be that there maybe too many potential reviews resulting in an over fragmented game.
At the end of the day, it is what it is, and we lost because a highly paid professional simply didn't do his job properly. Had it been saved I would have no criticism at all but to completely miss the pretty big target from 12 yards simply isn't acceptable!!! There I've said more than I intended to :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Yes, you can end up in no small amount of hot water when football gets "debated" Time to pull the duvet up.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

A very predictable lunch accompanied by a plate of roast beef and all the trimmings!! :-D
Own work
Own work
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Magic 😎😀🍻 Cheers!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Today has been spent sorting out some jobs that needed my attention. Firstly the door entry handset. Has been non communicative for some time. As it was one from an old Fermax system which I used to install when I had my Electronic Security Company it really should have been a very straightforward job. Hmmmm....unfortunately having purchased an example of Fermax's current 'universal' handset I swapped it over only to find the electronic sounder wasn't loud enough for Ken. .... ng sry st :-D 3 hours and numerous cannibalising old handset with new one all to no avail. Basic problem is too low a signal voltage arriving at the new handset. I need to double up conductors on the ground circuit but I have no access to the main entry panel, so I have doubled up at the handset using the one spare wire in the cable in the hope that the building maintenamce team can do the same in the panel or maybe just give me permission to access it tomorrow!!
Own work before
Own work before
Own work after
Own work after
The second job was to replace the doorbell which has never worked and I was amazed to discover it is mains powered!! Anyhow we bought a new bell and switch, changed them out and all good.
Own work after
Own work after
Lastly Ken needed some input on replacing his halogen lights around the apartment so we ran through the options and I showed him the barious types he needs for him to changr those out as he goes!!

That's about it today apart from an outstandingly normal lunch from Burger King while buying the parts we needed.:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think if they did away with the ninety minutes and the thirty minutes extra time and just did the penalties it would be a much more interesting game. :-D
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Don't let Ken here you say that Gibbo, .....he hates the penalties!! :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

My last Spanish sunrise until next Spring, very nice it is too!! :)
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ours looks similar Mick but I suspect there's a massive difference in temperature!

Have great last day, a safe and good trip home and wrap up warm when you arrive ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I couldn't resist adding this picture from this morning courtesy of Fife Weather.

Sunrise over Aberlady, just for Neil.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 9.16.25 AM.png

Minus 2c in Kinghorn, minus 3c with us up the coast.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The last leg, sitting in Alicante departures waiting for the gate number. My flight is EZY 2222 scheduled to depart at 11.40 for those of you with nothing better to do, like sleep maybe, so you can track it!! :-D
I've just had an SMS update from Easyjet confirming a delay and new time is 12.47. So it looks like I'll have to settle for these views for a while: :-D
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
I may have to break up the monotony and go for a stroll around the terminal after I've run out of people to pester....I mean text!! :-D
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

You landed at 2.15 according to the checker and you were indeed delayed.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

"Vuelve Pronto" if the Spanish translator is working.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

When are you back and available for me to collect the turntable Mick? I'm thinking Monday or Tuesday best for me, as I have a nerve block procedure down in Guilford tomorrow, and I'm told it "smarts a bit" for a few days once the local anaesthetic has worn off..
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The final installment of my adventure was basically my return to blighty yesterday which didn't quite go to plan. As you may have read in the previous post my flight was delayed and arrived at Luton at 2.15 and, as I was second off the plane I reached the bus station at 2.30, well done the electronic passport barriers! I can't say I was delighted to see the bus station:
Own work - Not the best sight for a traveller from a warm country!
Own work - Not the best sight for a traveller from a warm country!
the main issue being a queue of people at my stop who advised me that the 2.04 bus, which had been my intended one, had been cancelled and they were waiting for the 3.04. Most of them were shivering so I suggested we all retire into the terminal to wait in warmer conditions. We did and then wandered back out to the stop at 2.55 ready for the bus. By then it was freezing the locks on the bus embarkation gates so we were even less delighted when we heard that the 3.04 was running 35 minutes late!!

Eventually it arrived and we headed off to Stevenage where I was due to change buses. Arriving in Stevenage at 4.40 I soon discovered that the next Hertford bus was due at 5.25. At least there is a heated waiting room there so I settled down for the wait in relative comfort. When I went out to the stop at 5.20 to cover an early arrival I was dismayed to see the electronic display board advising arrival in 16 minutes. Foolishly I elected to stay there and wait in case the board was wrong, but it wasn't and by the time the bus arrived at 5.35 I was close to statuesque!!

However I managed to move my limbs enough to climb aboard and settled down at the back of an almost empty bus for the last public transport leg of my journey:
Own work - room to spare!
Own work - room to spare!
Sitting there with a fogged up window I spent the time reviewing my flight home which is best described in pictures. Picking it up from the Alicante departure lounge posted above it went something like this: :-D
Own work - A decent view from the window
Own work - A decent view from the window
Own work - A lightly loaded aircraft
Own work - A lightly loaded aircraft
Own work - Plenty of room for me
Own work - Plenty of room for me
Own work - The terrain we covered
So if you have made it this far well done and thanks for following my story.

I certainly picked the best week to be away from my point of view but I think my return was welcome as there were things to attend to which have prevented me from posting this until now.

Next week is fine Mike except Monday which I'm out for so Tuesday is good. I'll pm the address and perhaps you can let me know your ETA !! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 15 Dec 2022, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.