MyWay Rebooting every 77 sec

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

PerTS4

MyWay Rebooting every 77 sec

Post by PerTS4 »

Hi,

I've got an issue with my 2011 C4 Grand Picasso 1,6 eHDI egs exclusive, that I can't find a solution to. I think I've read all posts by now. Hope you will help.
My RNEG radio starts at 87,5 MHz and for 43 seconds I can operate it and search for a channel, adjust volume, change language from french etc. Then it locks all buttons and after another 30 seconds it shuts off. After 4 seconds it starts over again.
The on/off button is not responsive at any time.
I can start searching for software version but it doesn't find it. I can start a factory reset, but it never finish until the radio restarts.
I've found a firmware, RNEG SW R50b R50.03.rar at bit ly / 3bJH7NJ, which I loaded to an SD card and put in the radio according to "MyWay (RNEG) Firmware Upgrade Procedure" in this forum. It had no effect.

VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Actual firmware unknown

Please give me an advice.
What should I do next?

Thanks in advance
PerTS4

PS. I don't think it's relevant but the navigator stopped working properly two years ago. It goes by dead reckoning somewhere far away. Guess it's an antenna failure.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: MyWay Rebooting every 77 sec

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You Head Unit is probably dying due to internal failure. There's no flash memory cards on these, it's all on-board chip memory, so either needs a repair at the Clarion Centre, or time to find a replacement.

I doubt a firmware will help as if the onboard memory is at end of life (considering it has been in use for nearly 12 years) then this will just cause more issues if it will go on at all. Flash memory cells only have a finite write cycle and once they near their limit, they can no longer be written to and the data becomes corrupt, which starts to cause the random restarts or reboots and failure.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PerTS4

Post by PerTS4 »

Thanks for replying, Marc!

The restarting is very regular and it seems not affected by ambient temperature, engine revs nor moisture. For 43 sec it operates almost normal, but I cannot turn it off.
Is there any button or combination of buttons that constantly pressed will cause a restart in say 43 seconds?
Maybe it's just a stuck button 🤞

PerTS4
PerTS4

Post by PerTS4 »

Hi again,

Update:
I've tried to map all functions during the 43 seconds the radio is working. Most is working, e.g. on/off doesn't stop the radio but turns the sound on/off. Wheel controls works as well. Exceptions are:
Phone - Bluetoth is being activated...
Nav and Traffic - Navigation is loading, please wait...
CD player continuously trying to do something with unhealthy noise (tried to charm it with an intensive course in french)
Removed the CD player - no change in behaviour

What is my best option?
1) Off brand radio - I have one and understands how to mount it, but no middle display, worst loss is fuel meter and board computer
2) Pre-owned MyWay - expensive and needs programming and the radio is equally old and might also break down soon
3) Newer pre-owned radio with functionality as the original, that is easy to fit and code.

Does 3) exist? What's the recipe?

No fuel meter seems hard to accept, since it's a diesel

BR
PerTS4
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so the navigation maps are loaded on the SD card, but the system still needs to extract the data for route calculation and that uses internal memory, so this is just adding to the problem.

As for the CD noise, that is likely because the system is looking for a Firmware CD to find or restore missing or corrupt files, so continuously tries to load a CD.
You can of course try and purchase a used MyWay - but it will need VIN coding with Lexia / Diabox and also will need configuring to match the equipment on you own vehicle as there can be multiple equipment variations from trim level to trim level.

I'm not sure what you mean on points 2 & 3, it sounds like you are talking about the same thing a used MyWay unit.

These are still available new from Citroen, but are expensive (about £1200 GBP new or £950 for a reconditioned unit) excluding coding time.

Marc
PerTS4

Post by PerTS4 »

Is it worth trying to burn a CD with firmware?
I tried to load firmware on SDHC without success but maybe it wants it on CD?
Could you in case please send firmware as the one I got is from a source I’m not 100% confident with?
BR
PerTS4
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I have sent you a Private Message. At this stage, I would suggest that you have nothing to lose at this point.

Marc
PerTS4

Post by PerTS4 »

Thanks Marc!
Firmware on CD will be the topic for tomorrow
PerTS4
PerTS4

Post by PerTS4 »

Update:
I've tried loading the firmware you sent me Marc, but the radio reboots as before, every 77 second and in that time it doesn't manage to read the CD or the SD for that sake.
A friend replaced the eeprom. Read it and the check sum was ok, but very little data in it. He loaded the data into the new eeprom and installed it. The radio acts exactly as before so no improvement.
Could it be that the eeprom lacks data?
Is there anyone out there that could supply me with the correct data to load into the eeprom, please?
Hoping for the best,
BR
Per
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Per, when these Harman Becker units go they generally need the EEPROM software reloading and I don't know anyone who has this - the odd person who put a video on YouTube never got back to anyone, but the hardware was expensive, so beyond the reach of most. You may need another replacement unit Per.

Marc
PerTS4

Post by PerTS4 »

Hi Marc,
What should I look for when searching replacement unit? There's a lot data on the sticker. What's important to find a matching number and what doesn't matter?
There are more radios coming from Peugeot 5008 than from Citroen Picasso. Can I use a 5008 radio?
Thanks again
/Per
IMG_4998.JPG
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The number beginning 96 is usually the PSA part number.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

PerTS4 wrote: 28 May 2023, 18:02 Hi Marc,
What should I look for when searching replacement unit? There's a lot data on the sticker. What's important to find a matching number and what doesn't matter?
There are more radios coming from Peugeot 5008 than from Citroen Picasso. Can I use a 5008 radio?
Thanks again
/Per
Use the number 96751714XT as per your photo. Just search on this number and it will be the correct hardware. Ignore whether it's from a Peugeot or Citroen - they are all used across the marques.

The Marque can be changed to Citroen if it has come from a Peugeot once you configure the unit for your vehicle. It will need configuring with your VIN number using Diagbox / Lexia and you will need to check the configuration is correct for your vehicle - such things like the type of parking assistance, and of course things like the retractable screen (which some Peugeot models use) is changed to absent etc.

Marc