Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Unread post by Dormouse »

A week or so ago I included a couple of Vlogs from "Geoff Buys Cars" in the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure thread. I included them to show how disparate some of the commentators on EVs are and how information can be so easily skewed to suit a narrative - hence the question marks. I have since gone through more of his many, many Vlogs and I can see that he and I inhabit different planets let alone our opposing views on many things.
However, the two Vlogs I put up did have some truth in their premise and for that reason I am not going to disown their inclusion and only say that they are skewed in their standpoint.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

This vlog kind of encapsulates a lot of what is happening to the EV market just now and makes interesting viewing IMO

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Same channel just put this one out.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, National Highways is implementing something to help electric vehicles use the motorways more, but I am not sure they know WHERE they are going to do this (for example, Beaconsfield Services are on the M40, not the M4, although it could be that the Daily Mail has made the mistake);

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technol ... defffe7ed3
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

I'm sure we have members who will find this interesting! :)

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

They can pry my electrons from my cold, dead hands.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Unread post by Gibbo2286 »

I like his videos, always well researched and presented without the usual loud arm waving show offs that we often get.
On the other channel he mentioned the Fully charged show there's a lot of very interesting stuff about all aspects of EV and home solar, one that's a bit out of date now but worth looking for is Return of the Leaf by Rob Llewellin.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Did you see the huge 90 tonne electric Aussie road train on the latest Fully charged video Neil?
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
NewcastleFalcon

Unread post by NewcastleFalcon »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 13:19 Did you see the huge 90 tonne electric Aussie road train on the latest Fully charged video Neil?
No but its teaming it down with rain just now so I may head over to fully charged and give it a watch. :-D

You may see that I have attempted a revival of your "Snowy" whatsthisthen? today the only whatsthisthen remaining unsolved on that thread! link here viewtopic.php?p=748317#p748317

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Here you go.
NewcastleFalcon

When I saw they were called Janus, I thought I had come across them before....preceded by a bit of FCF creative thinking from james
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 May 2021, 09:13
Hell Razor5543 wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:31
I have been thinking about BEV HGVs. I think the best way for these to work is for a major company to get involved, leasing and swapping over battery packs. There is virtually no way to charge a large enough battery system for HGVs (not if you want a decent range and load capacity) within a workable period of time (relevant to the haulage companies). However, if battery packs could be standardised (not unlike the AA, AAA, C and D batteries) and made easy to swap out, then a lorry could pull into the 'battery service' station, their depleted battery would be dropped out, a fresh one would be bolted back in, the lorry would head out and the battery pack would be put on a charge (which would NOT be a 'blast it in' charge, to preserve the life of the battery pack). The battery packs are going to be heavy (easily a couple of tons), and the chargers are going to need to handle hundreds of watts, but if it was done properly it could work (I understand there will be other things to take into account, but it is possible).
They have nicked the idea over in Australia :-D 3 minutes swap in swap out aimed for :-D

Guardian 28th April 2021: Swap and go: electric trucks to run between Sydney and Brisbane using exchangeable batteries
and this was a video posted up from their earlier days....
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:18 Truck battery swap in moving pictures

Battery swap is still alive and kicking and the truck swap thing is probably a reasonable idea rather than having Megawatt Chargers trying to charge up huge batteries in the quickest possible time.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

I wonder if I could do it in the Zoe the estimated lowest range being 82 miles on a full charge.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 10:50 I wonder if I could do it in the Zoe the estimated lowest range being 82 miles on a full charge.
You could do it in his much maligned van Gibbo, as he could have done himself quite easily, but "disasters" get more youtube clicks. I am afraid Jordan who does very decent electrical installation videos turned into an idiot for that trip. He precipitated all of his failures and created all those crises by his own faux ignorance because I can't believe he really is that gormless. Still he got the perfect clichéd video for youtube, an armageddon style "Complete Disaster" tag line, an exasperated pose, ridiculous "running out of charge" pushing the vehicle sequences, and the van on a recovery vehicle to close the show and then the usual "its the infrastructure" whinge. It wasn't, anyone who plans to arrive at a recharge point with zero miles in hand will inevitably will run out of fuel.

If anyone can be bothered, not sure if Zap-map Covers France yet...don't think it does, but plugshare is pretty well festooned with charging points in the channel ports to Paris route.

https://www.plugshare.com/

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey