Car News-Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Car News-Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Excellent Post Chris, keep them coming very informative, and I think they will sit in the right home on this thread.
VW have made regular appearances, from Herbert Deiss telling them the realities of where they needed to be in productivity to compete and subsequently being shown the door; to their record breaking indebtedness as a company, together with their heavy reliance on ICE sales in China for their revenues. The many teething troubles, battery and software problems with the ID3 their bread and butter EV offering, which you alluded to in some of your posts from the sharp end. In what looked like desperate moves which may eventually turn out to be quite smart, the software sort out is probably on going, and but taking a stake in Xpeng does give them access to their software/hardware and their platform on which to create new models.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

I don't know what is going on the VW at the moment, we no longer get any news letters, I didn't even know they had sold Porsche on, we log onto a site called desktop which was great, they have now condensed all their dealer sites into the "hub" card GRP sent us all out logins for it which enables us to get on to the hub but we can't use any of the links we are not authorised, we have done all sorts with our Managers, IT guys, VW to try and resolve it, 12 months later still the same, seems it was something to do with us logging in, the system has seen multiple logins coming in for all 5 brands from one location, system security has decided it is being hacked and blocked us, now we can't get past it, every time the resolve and issue new passwords and logins for us, we go around again...
Can't help but think "and you want to roll this out over the UK and across Europe" dear God! it things like £10k for an EV coolant machine on auto order for tools, we got one for Audi 1st, a week later Skoda send us one, so we are now £20k into these machine, the trouble we have had cancelling this auto issue is incredible, or MD has all out arguments with well VAG for a better description to stop the other 2, we think we have but at present DHL have just deposited a very large box in our workshop so I am not sure, as they are really trying to get out to us VW and Seat machines, although this 5 brand dealership was all there idea, they can not get their head around it still after 9 years, same with the auto issue battery scissor jacks @ £25k each, we hope we have stopped the other two arriving, way to expensive and we have nowhere to store 4 of them they are almost the length of a ramp bay, maybe even 5 not sure about vans yet.
Parts is the same, as this was going to be VW's flagship and the future you would of thought they would of get all 5 brands around the table to discuses this "new" concept, but no, instead in our parts department we have 5 separate brands in the same space, because none of them wanted to give on their parts sales targets, so for example we have 5 different location of an 04E 115 561T oil filter prefixed with A = Audi, E = Seat, K = Skoda, W = Volkswagen cars, Vans also have a W but they are on a different DMS Company so we can't book filters of vans out on car jobs and visa a versa.
It is a nightmare at stock take. we have 21 ramps in the top workshop + 3 MOT ramps and 7 in the bottom workshop + 1 MOT ramp and at the last count 26 techs and 2 apprentices with 7 service advisors feeding us as well as a call centre.
It gets a little bit hectic....
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

They've solved the alternative fuels problems!! :-D
Sent to me
Sent to me
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That's a bit like some of the pre Victorian perpetual motion stuff in a book I used to have.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 12:42 They've solved the alternative fuels problems!! :-D

That's quite an attractive thought...

I assume you reverse the polarity of the magnet when you wish to go backwards?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Yes indeed, in fact it works even better if the iron plate is replaced by a second horseshoe magnet which can be revolved through 180 " for forward/reverse drive! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

If you split the magnet into monopoles and put one on the bottom and one over the top of the vehicle you could turn it into a hover truck.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

I was thinking just put the magnet on the back of the car in front. It'd work wonders on the M25 - once everyone was moving you'd not need any motive power :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

bobins wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 10:17. It'd work wonders on the M25 - once everyone was moving
Think you've just talked yourself out of that idea! :-D
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

EU to delay tariffs on UK electric cars until 2027

"Tariffs on electric vehicles traded between the UK and EU will be delayed for three years, the European Commission has proposed.
It comes after carmakers on both sides of the Channel warned they were not ready for the change to post-Brexit trade rules planned from January.
The rules were meant to protect the EU car industry, but the 10% tariffs were likely to lead to huge costs."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67634706

Hands up those who didn't see that coming :roll: :wink: :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

bobins wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 17:52 EU to delay tariffs on UK electric cars until 2027

"Tariffs on electric vehicles traded between the UK and EU will be delayed for three years, the European Commission has proposed.
It comes after carmakers on both sides of the Channel warned they were not ready for the change to post-Brexit trade rules planned from January.
The rules were meant to protect the EU car industry, but the 10% tariffs were likely to lead to huge costs."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67634706

Hands up those who didn't see that coming :roll: :wink: :lol:
It has little to do with Brexit really more a case of the EU biting the bum of their own car companies, they set the rule that the percentage of the car made within the EU has to be X then found that the EU cars needed Chinese batteries which took the imported content over X so VW and the like would have had to pay the tariff and screamed foul.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Indeed.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc