Common Scams Section

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Common Scams Section

Post by myglaren »

Nothing 'smart' in this house.
And I mean nothing & no-one.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

But I see that the Amazon Prime scammers are back at it in force again this week, having had 5 plus calls from them, each with different numbers that are now on my blocked list. I see Thornberry was going on about getting OFCOM to prevent UK phone numbers being able to be bought / used for VOIP purposes from international companies, which she says will reduce the risk when people think it's a UK mobile or UK landline.

Not sure how that's going to work with the tech support industry for large international companies that provide 0800 numbers though. Apple support is a UK number, but gets directed to Ireland or USA when I've called, so I suspect if it was that easy they would have done it by now....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Car park scam.
So i performed the parallel park which I've been doing for 30 years now. Only to be met with a ragged mature female screaming id hit her car. So i said where ? She pointed to the front , nothing i then pointed to the rear of my car , nothing !
She then demands my phone number so i demanded hers which i got & she then got mine. I then invited her to call the police which i was met with a look of dismay, anyway i asked my wife if i could use her phone as the other person was taking photos of both cars , i videoed her car up close & slow she then said oh don't worry there's nothing wrong with it ,its not my car anyway it belongs to a company ?? So with that i laughed & went about my shopping trip.

Coming back to my car this person was then sitting in another space waiting for another car to perform the reverse park & guess what , yes another performance , so i walked up and asked if i could be witness to this to which said lady got in said car & drove off. Unbelievable .
Husky. :?
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 15:48 But I see that the Amazon Prime scammers are back at it in force again this week, having had 5 plus calls from them, each with different numbers that are now on my blocked list. I see Thornberry was going on about getting OFCOM to prevent UK phone numbers being able to be bought / used for VOIP purposes from international companies, which she says will reduce the risk when people think it's a UK mobile or UK landline.

Not sure how that's going to work with the tech support industry for large international companies that provide 0800 numbers though. Apple support is a UK number, but gets directed to Ireland or USA when I've called, so I suspect if it was that easy they would have done it by now....
Gotta love these Amazon prime scams ,i love it when they introduce themselves as John smith , with a very strong non English accent lol then claim my ebay order has been lost ???
Husky. :?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I see there's been a return to the scam where they advertise an expensive fully loaded toolbox and when paid for they send you just a photo of said toolbox.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Today's special, really trying. :-D
Good morning,
While thanking you for the attention you have given to my dearest wish, I
would like you to know that I was not in the wrong person by sending you
this message. My ardent wish has always been to meet an anonymous natural
person so that the latter can carry out social actions through a
foundation. However, I would understand your astonishment about my way of
proceeding. My name is CAROLINA ROICHE born on 09/25/1942 of French
nationality but currently under medical observation in a hospital located
in SINGAPORE. I had to contact you in this way because I wish to take
through you to donate the sum of €4,800,000 in order to help people in
need, make poor families happy, orphans, help young entrepreneurs looking
for financing to grow their sectors of activity...... of your entourage.
My professional life has been a real tourism, especially since I have
always lived far from my country. First in Kuwait, where I worked in the
oil sector for two years. Then I was in the Republic of GABON (year 2001)
where I set up several companies (real estate, Engineer...). It was in
this welcoming country that I experienced true happiness, that of marrying
a Canadian who was also working in this country. Unfortunately we were not
lucky enough to have children. After five (05) years of living together,
my husband lost his life following a long illness. So I remained alone
again with a butler at my disposal and a dog until this cancer came to
limit my life. It will soon be four years that I have been fighting
against this disease and medicine can do nothing more following the
results of the medical examinations of which my days are numbered
according to the investigation of my attending Doctor. I had blocked this
large sum in one of the BANKS for a construction project. I will be
grateful to entrust you with this money so that my donation project is
successful. Please accept this, for it is a gift from a dying woman and
this without asking anything in return. Please answer me as soon as
possible at my e-mail address which is:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

They must be popping off all over the place!! That is the third dying lady with a similar plea that has come to my attention since Easter!! Almost as tragic as the extinction of leprechauns!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Haven't seen one of those in twenty years and I am not particularly guarded when online.

The only similar thing was a ransom bot. It couldn't infect my system, just deleted it and carried on.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Twice in the last fortnight I've had traveller types knocking my door offering to trim my cherry tree. A new 'fix your roof mate' scam maybe. Posh sign written trucks and orange overalls.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's the patio jet washers you need to watch out for. They'll sneakily come onto your property and clean a small section of the roof tiles or an obvious part of the driveway or similar without telling you, then knock on the door to try and get you to cough up for the rest of the job, knowing that you've not got a stupid looking clean patch that is at odds with everything else!

Marc
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 08:49 My ardent wish has always been to meet an anonymous natural person so that the latter can carry out social actions through a foundation.
A noble dream many will hold dear! :-D

That gibberish is so wonderful I'm tempted to use it on the next form I've to populate:

"Ethnic background?

Other(please state) :

anonymous natural person"
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've just aborted a Specsavers supposed 'pre-examination' questionnaire before my eye test Monday that they've been bugging me about for the last 2 weeks. It soon went off track and onto ethnicity and everything not related to a bloody eye test like employment status, and all the rest of it, so that went in the bin as did the appointment itself very nearly. :evil:

I refuse point blank to give any organisation any personal data that many of us fight so hard to keep private as it is.

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

You may find this interesting!! :-D

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

A new one on me, this in the mail today, I'm assuming it's a scam.
Attachments
Docusign.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, Docusign is a software that allows companies to collect and authenticate documents or agreements and have them 'e signed' using encryption etc. So ironic here that scammers are using the Docusign logo to make out like it's an important document you need to open and see - which you don't do of course!

I've just had one on a mobile this morning - an Indian sounding individual saying he's from the 'Council Welfare Department' :rofl2: My blocked caller contact is nearing the hundred phone number mark now.

The sooner Government get these spoof numbers banned and blocked the better.

Marc