A very bad Birthday indeed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car

Re: A very bad Birthday indeed.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

thanks Gibbo.
does this have any effect on idle speed when the engine is hot
if the intercooler radiator is blocked up with muck?
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car

This arrived today.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-xanti ... ?#rpdCntId
so I eagerly collected it from my local Argos.
go it home after a very busy day caring for my parents and taking them to doctor and hospital appointments.
when I opened the box the fan unit was smashed the fan blades are broken and the fans are damaged.
The listing said it was a fully working item. I'll never trust flea bay again.
Seems it was damaged before they sent it as there are no broken bits in the packaging. they've even cut the fan motor plugs off as well.
I am determined to get the right parts from somewhere surely you cant scrap a perfectly good car because you cant get the parts.
it is starting to get me down I'm lucky if I get one morning a week free to work on the car and this certainly doesn't help at all.
The bad luck just keeps on coming and more and more broken or the wrong car parts fill my shed.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Raise a complaint on that, photograph etc.....E-Bay is fine if your the customer
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
falling-out-with-my-car

Alasdair,

Have just done that thanks. Ive also sent an email to Medway Citroen to see if he's got the right
size fan casing.

If anyone dropping by has a 1998 to 2001 Citroen Xantia Mk2 fan casing complete with
whole fan blades and motors, this is the casing that holds the condenser radiator in the back behind the fans.
on the bottom of this casing their are four mounting holes on protruding plastic brackets.

if you've got one in good knick and the fan blades are not damaged and rotate freely
and you'd like to sell it I'd be very happy to hear from you. it would also be a bonus if the plugs are still
on the end of the wiring loom.

thanks

Nigel.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

I am going past a scrappers on Thursday, they had 3 cars last year.....I will pop in and ask if they still have them.

S2 Facelift car ....yes ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, what was the problem with the fan casing you had from me?

Why are you searching for another?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

A couple of breakers near me who have huge stocks, might be worth asking.

http://www.forestautosalvage.co.uk/breaking.php

http://www.harrybuckland.co.uk/

Harry Buckland last time I went was still operated on the old fashioned 'go up the yard and find it yourself.' system but I think he's been driven to modernise now by the 'elf 'n safety' lot.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
falling-out-with-my-car

Jim,

The fan casing I got from you has fan housings that are to small in circumference to house my blades
which are larger and I do not seem able to remove my blades and try the blades you supplied.
I am fairly confident that the blades you supplied wont fit my motors.
and without the motors I am really stuck.

The fan casing you supplied has mountings at the bottom for one radiator.
My fan casing has two sets of mountings at the bottom for the intercooler and the water cooler radiators bottom pins.
I gather the intercooler radiator was in the engine bay in front of the water radiator in the later models.
and not sandwiched between the condenser and water cooling radiators as mine appears to be.
the bottom locating pins on these radiators sit inside the four holes on the bottom of the fan casing.
I could if I could find some motors to fit the blades you gave me modify the casing you supplied
so that my bottom radiator pins sit in the bottom of the casing. literally cut of the mountings
on the old casing and rivet/fibreglass them to the new
but without Motors I am literally up the creek without a paddle.

which is why I am looking for the correct fan casing complete with motors.

regards.

Nigel.
falling-out-with-my-car

Ok Ive been refunded for the casing ive received broken and the money is in my pay-pal account.
the message reads please do not return the item you may keep it.
so I have an opportunity here to repair the casing.
could anyone help me identifiy what type of plastic the fan casings are made of please
I am sure that there is a glue out there somewhere.

even abs is dissolvable in acetone if I can get some acetone.
ive got loads of lego bricks and they are abs

regards.
Nigel.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

See back on page 2 of this very thread for info on welding a bumper. The principle is exactly the same.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 4&start=16

There is also special glue available for hard plastics like the bumper and rad surround. That might be mentioned further on.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, now I understand... No worries... That casing must be V6 specific...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

Jim,

I will return your parts later on don't worry about the beer tokens put it towards beer or the forum.
without which I'd be truly stuck.

Paul-R,

apologies I must have missed that bit in the thread it went a bit wobbly about other topics

around that time,

I've already used fibre glass on the headlamp mounting/cross member which is carbon fibre
reinforced plastic. in its shattered state I can see the carbon fibres sticking out of the fractures.
I roughened the surface and fibre glassed this successfully with seven layers of Glass mating and it
is holding well but this is a rigid surface that will not be moving.

The fan casing is something different a more flexible plastic.
I am tempted to try what you suggest and with waterproof epoxy attach annealed thin plates
of aluminium over the repaired fractures annealing the metal will allow it to be easily shaped
when fixed in place with the epoxy I can then drill through the alloy and the plastic beneath and try to put in some rivets
to hold it all together for strength.
These motors must spin at a heck of a rate and in the absence of something that will melt the plastic cowling together
I don't know what else to do.

it might be worth taking the cowling to a back street body shop and simply asking if there is a repair service or glue
Which is what you suggested for the bumper repair I believe.

Nigel.
falling-out-with-my-car

Ok before I launch into a full on repair program I have found these ebay listings for
apparently new radiator cowlings for the Xantia with fans included New. has anyone got the skill Please? to help me retrieve the correct part number for my Xantia if I pm you
my Vin Number or Reg number?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAN-ENGINE-CO ... SwZVhWTexT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... SwZ8ZXAo~T
falling-out-with-my-car

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:Let me check.....but I may have part No:1 from the Green Goblin

Will let you know in the morning

Alasdair,

What's the address of the website that these diagrams come from please I've been trying to Google it today without any success at all
I keep getting listings for car breakers.
I am looking for an OEM part number for the fan casing on my 1998 Facelift S2 Xantia.
It looks as though they might be available from Germany at around £130.00

thanks in advance

Nigel.