Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 19:12 Country parks, and well done to the organisations who look after them,.
Mentioned these in connection with Bolam Lake before very picturesque.

Completely different one this but equally as fascinating for a decent root around for the brick enthusiast. Lots of stuff to discover off piste from the pathways!
DSC06588.JPG
DSC06598.JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

An absolute and unexpected Fest :-D

Tanfield/South Causey Inn Antiques (Raine&James)
A table full of named bricks Must have been more than 100, Including this from Consett which I took to the till only to find they wanted £10 each!
must have been about 100 or more
must have been about 100 or more
One to find rather than stump up £10 for!
One to find rather than stump up £10 for!
An Ironcrete Lawn Roller :-D
DSC06618.JPG
Ironcrete
Ironcrete
Tax Disc Artwork and a "Bristol" Compressor
Tax disc Art
Tax disc Art
DSC06664 (2).JPG
Gorgeous colourful tulips in Tanfield Village next to Bayberry Hollow Scone, Brownie and Coffee emporium!
DSC06608.JPG
DSC06609.JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

£10 for a brick... They must be very collectable now!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 02 May 2024, 05:34 £10 for a brick... They must be very collectable now!
They aren't making them any more! (well they are of course but the individuality and proliferation of all the brickworks around the country of the late 19th and early 20th century and their trademarks names and stamps have gone.). The bricks of that period being of such robust construction survive, some of them are so hard and well fired you are hard pushed to drill into them with modern power tools and bits.

If I wasn't such a skinflint, and had less faith, motivation and persistence to go out and search for them I would have happily paid a tenner for that Consett brick, for its personal connection, and added it to my garden/signal box wall.
Round the country there are literally tens of thousands of differently named bricks from that period. Amongst them connection with a name or a place for virtually anyone in the Country is likely, maybe enough for the less skinflinty to fork out a tenner for one. :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

Inside Anne - own work
Inside Anne - own work

By request of The Guv'nor :-D

Me and Mrs Bobins spent a good few hours today at the Hovercraft Museum down at Lee-On-The-Solent between Pompey and Southampton https://www.hovercraft-museum.org/
They have a very large collection of hovercraft and it's more interesting than you might first think :)
Plenty on the history and evolution of the craft, lots of old adverts and promo films from 'back in the day', quite a few hovercraft to climb in and over - though one of them was knee-deep in eels for some reason :wink:
The picture at the top is of SRN-4 Princess Anne - she's surprisingly large inside but is looking a little 'tired' these days and it's a long time since she's done any work 8-[
The cafe on site is basic (tea, coffee, cakes, etc) and the whole place is run on a shoestring by volunteers, but is well worth visiting if you're in the area with nothing better to do :) If you're a cheapskate like me then parking can be found on the surrounding roads for free rather than paying for the seafront car parks :-D

I'm sure I've been on the Pompey - Isle of Wight hovercraft passenger service before way back in olden times, but can't remember when :-k
Last edited by bobins on 12 May 2024, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Some nice places to stop off at you don't even have to get out of your armchair, but if its reasonably close-by always better to see things IRL In Real Life even if you get a better view on the Telly

The Peregrines at English Cathedrals.
temp2.jpg
Worcester

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 May 2024, 12:05 Some nice places to stop off at you don't even have to get out of your armchair, but if its reasonably close-by always better to see things IRL In Real Life even if you get a better view on the Telly

The Peregrines at English Cathedrals.

and a matter of days later an IRL Peregrine is spotted by the Falcon.
Peregrine Falcon in the sky above Brampton
Peregrine Falcon in the sky above Brampton
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Or maybe not: :shock:

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

First time I have heard about it, will have driven the road skirting it on more than one occasion without realising it was there, or indeed of its potential danger.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Certainly strikes me as dangerous, if you were taking a casual walk across the land and came across it, I'm sure you would just treat it as a little stream and may well elect to have a foot cooling paddle, ooops!!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 May 2024, 21:30
Looks like the British Motor museum at Gaydon is a nice place to stop off at. I have only been there on a virtual visit via a you tube vid.......
Neil
A gentle nudge from The Guv'nor :wink: :-D

I visited The British Motor Museum at Gaydon the other day. https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/ Well worth a visit if you've never been. Plenty of scope for : "I remember those. I used to have one of those. They were awful cars" Etc, Etc. :lol: Loads of cars on show with loads of info, very helpful staff, a decent cafe / restaurant, loads of parking, very easy access from the M40, quite a few 'specials'* days where there's something extra going on, and an option to tick various boxes if you book your ticket online and that gives you free access for virtually a whole year. My only very slight criticism is that it was quite (very !) warm in there for me and so I was flagging a bit by the halfway mark, but there's a lot of seating around the place to stop and take 5 minutes.
It gets the Bobins Seal of Approval :-D

*- The McLaren Owners Club (or somesuch) had a gathering there on the day we visited. I took great pleasure in ignoring their cars :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Your local farm ice cream parlour.

Like Morwick Dairy near Warkworth, and not far from today's pub of the day... viewtopic.php?p=800198#p800198

Today was an ice cream day...but the bonus at the Morwick, a couple had chosen to bring their Saab 96 in caramel flavour to the parlour.
Ayrshire Calves
Ayrshire Calves
SAAB at the parlour
SAAB at the parlour
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey