Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This was my stomping ground as a child, within walking distance of my home in north Birmingham, now swallowed up into the Birmingham expansion over the recent
https://www.google.com/search?q=sutton ... IgAQ%3D%3D

Click on the phots link to see it all.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Cross Country races are fun, especially when it's really wet and muddy... The only PE I really enjoyed at school...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

When we came back from Egypt posted to South Benfleet our CO insisted, we do a five mile cross country run on Saturday morning if we wanted a 36-hour leave pass.
It was January and there were a lot of blue knees.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wendover Woods, right up on top of the Chiltern Hills near Aylesbury and managed by Forestry England is a beautiful pace for getting out and about in the fresh air... Lovely marked trails and a great cafe... Highly recommended...
20221204_112822.jpg
The arrow is to tell we runners where to go... Many dog walkers this morning I suspect, wished to do the same when confronted with some 500 of us all heading for them :lol:

The car park costs.. Paid for using an app. new to me called Glide... ANPR records your registration plate as you drive in and you pay using the app. on exit... It knows exactly how long you have been there and offers a 30 minute grace period after paying to exit...

All parking charges go toward the upkeep of the wood, which, like all Forestry England sites, is kept immaculately tidy and free of litter so I have no worries about paying for parking... It's not expensive... For my fun morning there today it cost a fiver...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 15:06 It was January and there were a lot of blue knees.
These days we have the fix for that Eric... Lycra tights ;) Or if on the bike, Lycra leg warmers :) Leg warmers bear a passing resemblance to thick stockings of the Nora Batty variety except they don't wrinkle and hold themselves up...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 14:48 Cross Country races are fun, especially when it's really wet and muddy... The only PE I really enjoyed at school...
Never did PE, had a workaround.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 15:50
CitroJim wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 14:48 Cross Country races are fun, especially when it's really wet and muddy... The only PE I really enjoyed at school...
Never did PE, had a workaround.
I used to dream of having one of those for most PE lessons, basically any that involved a ball - which in our school was almost all of them... Cross Country was only an occasional pleasure...
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I had to have some lunch during the operation so I went in search of a suitable hostelry and found an absolute paradise of a pub. It was 15 mins drive but the result was so worth the effort. The place I found was The Bell at Smarden and what a great pub it is, the pictures only tell half the story as the welcome was brilliant too and the beer superbly kept!! The last picture gives the details for anyone who wants to try it and I think it would make a great venue for a summer gathering of the FCFers in range, and I include myself even though it will be an hour and three quarters to get there. Let me know anyone who is interested and we'll sort out a date!! In the meantime there are classic car gatherings on Sundays and you can be assured of a warm welcome!! :-D
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Don't worry about the lack of customers as I was there around 4pm today when the rugby was on!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

SWMBO and I were trying to think of somewhere to go for dinner on Saturday which would not be too busy because of her need to keep her toes safe. After much deliberation we remembered a pub we used to use before Covid and which was closed for refurb the last time we visited about a year ago. So we decided to give it a go and headed down to The Beehive in Epping Green and were very happy with what we found. The place has been completely redesigned including moving the bar and building a new garden room type extension where we had our table. Food and service were both excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. :-D
The garden room from our corner.
The garden room from our corner.
As you can see it was pretty quiet as we had hoped by going early for a Saturday, 5.15 booking, and she was able to keep her foot well out of the way of possible hazards! I thoroughly recommend it for a pleasant eveing out!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Golden Fish Inn Delves Lane Consett County Durham.

Never been before, won some awards, excellent Good Friday Fish and Chips.

and a local brick for good measure
Delves-A
Delves-A
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

You can't beat an abandoned Brickworks for entertainment :-D
NF Original 12/04/2023
NF Original 12/04/2023
The famous Burn-Axe Brick
The famous Burn-Axe Brick
a few souvenirs
a few souvenirs
along with a bit of trainspotting
Tesco's freight wagons rumble by.
Tesco's freight wagons rumble by.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

We still have an abandoned brickworks hereabout - Stewartby, in the Marston Vale near Bedford..

Years back we had loads of them. Now all gone - mainly under housing estates. Happily though, several of the adjacent quarries have been turned into country parks and lakes used for watersports purposes whilst at least two really big ones were used for landfill and these days the resulting methane from the rotting rubbish is harvested to drive a power station...

On another suite is a big waste incinerator with a very distinctive chimney...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yesterday saw me in the Beacon Hill Country Park, not far from the preserved Great Central Railway near Quorn and Woodhouse, Leicestershire - the only main-line twin-tracked preserved railway in the UK. Parts of it now has a 60mph speed limit so the big main-line preserved locomotives can be given a bit of decent run...

Despite the nearness I could not visit this time as I was being gainfully employed in the Country Park..

The park is a real gem in some very scenic countryside. It has some great hiking trails, a superb cafe and some breathtaking views from the top. It's called Beacon Hill for a good reason as it has one on top and an OS Trig. Pillar... Hiking up to it is a very good work out up some very steep hills; great fun to run up there too...
20230420_075230.jpg
Very highly recommended for a visit, perhaps in conjunction with the Great Central Railway...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

20230427_154613.jpg
A truly gorgeous place and definitely worth a visit, especially for the bluebells in spring :D
20230427_070821.jpg
20230427_070057.jpg
I believe it's the site of an old Colliery and the park is the remains of a huge spoil heap! You'd never know, it looks totally natural and the whole park is stunningly beautiful. So much so, it takes your breath away, My pictures just cannot do justice to it...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 06:17 I believe it's the site of an old Colliery and the park is the remains of a huge spoil heap! You'd never know, it looks totally natural and the whole park is stunningly beautiful. So much so, it takes your breath away, My pictures just cannot do justice to it...
It would have been a nice place to stop off at in 1910 too, for the Industrial History fan! I reckon the original photographer from 1910 wouldn't give a monkey's about his photographic work being plastered over the internet, but Warwickshire County Records Office still do, so an onerous click of the link is required to view for your own personal education and enjoyment...

I suspect this is where the country park is now!
HARTSHILL. JEES GRANITE AND BRICK CO. LTD. QUARRY
https://d23iiv8m8qvdxi.cloudfront.net/w ... 840-0.jpg

Of course you would expect a brick photo
https://www.brocross.com/Bricks/Penmorf ... Atherstone
https://www.brocross.com/Bricks/Penmorfa/Pages/england12.htm#:~:text=Jees%2c%20Atherstone
https://www.brocross.com/Bricks/Penmorfa/Pages/england12.htm#:~:text=Jees%2c%20Atherstone

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey