first start of the day problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5Alan
My Cars:

Re: first start of the day problems

Post by C5Alan »

yeah she is an 8v 110 so will get a look at her whats the worst that can happen she is well fudged at the min lol

Anyone got an idea of how much it would cost to fix properly as I feel that its more than my spannering ability I know the car aint worth it but would make me feel better about runnig her into the ground. My guess a new rod aint gona be cheap (could you fit a used one?) and if its bent that prob means damage to the cylinder wall (can this be sorted or new head needed?) plus other bits that will need replaced along the way eg gaskest and stuff.

Have to say not getting much smoke except on start up rest of the time she is fine.
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Yes you could use a 2nd hand rod, you would have to make sure it was the same as the others though.

As the engine seems to run ok once it's started any bend on a rod will be tiny, you are probably talking about fractions of an inch, so there will be no cylinder damage.

Can't see any reason why the Cylinder Head won't be fine.

I wouldn't like to say how much it would cost you to get a garage to do the job...I'm not sure how long it would take a decent mechanic in a workshop to do the job...I'm guessing 2 days labour.....but I'm well out of touch with times & prices so maybe nowhere near with this.

You will also have a parts list, 2nd hand rod, Head Gasket, Head bolts, Big end shells, Sump Gasket, Oil, Oil filter, Coolant, lots that I've missed.

The problem with going into an engine is knowing when to stop...as the timing belt will be off do you renew that along with the water pump etc...

It may make more financial sense to get hold of a 2nd hand engine...but where does sense come into owning a car these days....if you like your car fix it mate.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

That is the thing I would never have gone out and bought a c5 as they are too modern with all this need for a lexia to figure out what is going on Im more into the simplier cars. I got this one as my dad was offerd scrap money for it with tax and mot and I needed a cheap run around while my merc was off the road for an over haul the merc was then sold for an engagement ring so now running the c5 full time. I cant say I like the car as I have never given it a name unlike every other car I have ever owned some before I had even paid for them. The car does what I need - good for my buisness, good for pizzahut deliveries and good for taking the dog and the missus out at the weekends. This is why I am feeling like I should just run it till it dies a new engine is £300+ with lower mileage and then just fit but that is beyond me and who knows what it will be like. Even with a new engine the car is still tired with a few niggles collapsed drivers seat, heater blowing cold, speedo reading less than actual speed, tracking prob killing front tyres every month, caliper corrosion, comm 2000 fault to name a few. The car is prob worth more as parts than as a mode of transport to anyone but me so will drive till it dies not somethign I like the idea of but I could spend a fortune getting the car sorted and end up with nothing but a money pit that is worth nothing as most people would jsut see a car with over 200k so all but dead I knwo the breakers yard keeps asking when she is coming in or would I not swap her for this one with half the miles they just got in more as joke but is the opinion of most people.

This has been more of getting things straight in my own head and what I am going to do rather than how to sort the prob.
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

So you sold your Merc for an engagement ring....that makes it all you lasses fault in my eyes then :-D
You'll use that on her in years to come...mark my words ! :lol:

Seriously though....if the car runs just run it...it may not have a bent rod it could be something else, if you get round to it get a compression test, but then again that may not be 100% conclusive.

I agree with you about these modern cars, they're crap, especially the diesels, FAP filters and the likes...and more electronics than is needed. Don't even get me started about electronic hand brakes. It's all just slowly but surely making people get rid of their car after a couple of years for fear of things going wrong which is exactly what the manufactures want.

Anyway good luck with your engine, as others have said on the thread just run it and see what happens, you've got nowt to loose.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

uncle buck wrote:So you sold your Merc for an engagement ring....that makes it all you lasses fault in my eyes then :-D
You'll use that on her in years to come...mark my words ! :lol:
Im sure I wont have any need to use that ever - that took me a while to stop laughing before I could finish typing lol

C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

well after changeing back to diesel she is starting better but still down on power to start with but not much smoke still some but it was freezing this morn so i dont know how much was just from the cold.

the antipolution fault is disapering after maybe 6 starts of the car. I am still hopeing it isnt a conrod still feel a differnt maf and now maybe a new fuel filter thinking cold bio might be the reason for lack of power. Am I just being hopeful now???