what's everyone's car fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

what's everyone's car fuel consumption

Post by Nikolaymk »

Hi,
My Xantia does about 36 miles to the gallon (about 7.5 l/100). Is that about right for m-way driving?
Cheers
AndersDK

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Nikolay
My old BX16 (petrol - carburetted) does approx 12km/L = 8.3L/100km = 13.3L/100miles - mixed usage.
Guess your Xantia must be a diesel then [8D]
If your 7.5L/100miles figure is correct - I'd say it runs lean - or you are running behind pushing it [:D]
I certainly would'nt complain [;)]
CITMAN

Post by CITMAN »

My 1995 zx 1.4i does about 32mpg around town
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I can get about 320-340 miles out of a full tank in my zx 16v which takes about £40 to fill up from almost empty, 50 litres or so. Around 30mpg. I drive mainly around the town but occasional journies and its quite good on long trips
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I often drive my BX TD estate for 500 miles between fillups and have done 550. Sometimes if its short runs its about 400 but its never in any danger of running out. Consumption - varies between 40 and 50 on reasonably fast long runs. Drops to low 40's if I boot it.
Our ZX 1.9 D does about the same I suppose. Certainly I can't see any real saving and the 11.9 gallon tank certainly reduces the range.
jeremy
Jon

Post by Jon »

We've got a thread going in general chat about this, I recently stated that my 93 ZX TD was pulling about 34 MPG!!!!
Now I'm driving the old girl from Swindon to Heathrow everyday, I'm putting lots of diesel in, in fact Nationwide Credit Card services have never been happier than the last month.
So I kept receipts for all the diesel that I've put in, plus been zeroing the trip meter when I fill up. In fact, the 123k mile beast is actually doing 39.8 MPG every day, which includes sitting in traffic on the M4, my usual 75 mph down the inside when the motorways is OK, and the occasional full throttle in 5th if I'm in the outside lane and suddenly have to accelerate from 80ish to 3 figures (usually caused by BMW 318i driver with inadequacy complex).Amazing to this day the torque of these 1.9TD units to produce power in this crucial (i.e. some idiot behind wants to go faster despite the fact I'm being held up by the guy in front of me)from 80 ish to over 100. 2.0 HDi's don't do it so well so quickly.
Original injectors pump etc on the car. I'm happy.
The only downside is the grey (not black) smoke that this car produces hard on it in 5th, its done it since it was brand new.
[:p] Its still crazy after all these years though.[^]
AndersDK

Post by AndersDK »

I do'nt believe these figures - are you all driving downhill - all the time [?] - must be some fairly odd roads around in old Britain [:p]
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Well the figures I quoted were on a fill-up basis and were for a run to Yourkshire. Going there i booted it when I was able and actually i think it was nearer to 42 than 40. coming back i had a reasonably gentle drive round Yourkshire, a fast run to the humber Bridge behind a Peugeot 405 1.9TD who seemed to be in a hurry but then held me back to 75 - 80 and then a run down through the east Midlands and home via Oxford - the last 80 miles or so being fast. Much to my delight it broke the 50 MPG figure for the first time. On holiday - it was doing 47 or so while driving to and from and around Kent in some very hot weather. I suppose at 190,000 miles the engine has loosened up.
Jon I'm interested to hear about your grey smoke on acceleration. My TD has always done this and I've never really been able to find an explanation. I wonder if its accumulated soot and condensation in the exhaust - blown out and boiled off by a blast of hot gas? - or an accumulation of lubricating oil in the intercooler being digested by the engine. If it is the latter I can only say that a little oil goes a long way as its consumption is negligible.
jeremy
surfer

Post by surfer »

Hi,
My '96 Xantia Activa does 33mpg on average, but that is with most of the miles done on our fabulous motorway network.
Worst ever is 27, and best ever is 35.5. The car has done less than 65 000 miles.
The car I had before this one was a 1.7 carb Renault 21 saloon and despite 209 000 miles on the original engine, it did 43 mpg all the time.
Simon.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Jeremy
Ever since the TD was new (my mum had it from day one) its produced grey smoke.
Its really at its worst when I get on the M4 in the morning at junc 15 as I have to acccelerate up the slip then onto a steep hill, a glance in the door mirror reveals loads of smoke, probably to the worry of other motorists. BTW the engine is fully warm by the time I get from my house to the M4 and the temp guage is around operating temp of 90 ish.
The car does not need any oil between 6K changes, and water consumption is minimal.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Can vouch for the Renault 21 - mine used to do 43 on reasonable runs - say 48 several times when going around 55 - 60. It would drop to mid 20's round town and to my mind had an appalling carb set up that was prone to numerous air leaks and flat spots. This was made up for by its sheer toughness as it didn't seem to make any difference if it had oil or water in it, and it had a distressing habit of spilling its water from a new fault each time.
Strangely enough the Renault 21 was wonderfully aerodynamic - about .31 for a reasonable saloon as against .34 for a BX. These are logarithmic scales so the difference is about 30% if I can remember how these things work.
jeremy
jeremy
Homer

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

I do'nt believe these figures - are you all driving downhill - all the time [?] - must be some fairly odd roads around in old Britain [:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Are you sure you are converting to UK gallons and not US ones?
1 UK gallon = 4.546L
1 US gallon = 3.785L
30+ mpg for a petrol Xantia is about right.
I get between 26 and 34 from my 2.0L turbo petrol estate, depending on traffic. Funny thing is I used to get almost identical figures (well a couple more max) from a 2.0 8v saloon. And from a series of 1.6 and 1.9 BXs.
MW

Post by MW »

35-36 mpg from my Xantia 1.8 16v. Motorway driving at 82 or thereabouts doesn't seem to use noticeably more fuel than the urban cycle - I still get 500 miles out of a tank.
Best results are on long French A roads, where you maintain a steady 55-65 for maybe eight or nine hours at a time. Can go as high as 39 mpg if you sing the Marseillaise loudly enough.
adrianeaton

Post by adrianeaton »

The Xsara VTS averages 28mpg over a tankfull - normally looking for a fill up at less than 300 miles [:0] It's got a smaller tank than the BX. On a run it'll easily get into the 30's but it's normal journey is 12 miles on A roads at 40ish mph which means it takes a while to warm up and hardly ever gets into 5th gear.
The BX 16V will manage about the same with the same kind of use, but since I only ever drive it reasonably long distance with a gentle warm up I regularly get mid-30's and 350+ miles from a tank.
Adrian
alan s
RIP 2010

Post by alan s »

I average about 37MPG in the BX 16V and about the same or fractionally better in my sons TZi.
We have a speed limit of 100 - 110 KPH which could account for the consumption, as I've noticed when I get above that speed, the consumption makedly increases[}:)][:0]
For conversions, here's a good site:
http://hemsidor.torget.se/users/b/bohjo ... e.htm#fuel