Vince's XM...213k and slowing....

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
Deanxm

Re: Vince's VSX / Pallas Auto Refinishing

Unread post by Deanxm »

he's joking right? the guy detailed his Dyson [-X , note to self, must go outside more...................

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote:he's joking right? the guy detailed his Dyson [-X , note to self, must go outside more...................
:lol: :lol: :lol: Lovin' it...

Wonder if he'd come and do mine. Mine really looks battered and rough. I guess it's been used too many times in the workshop...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vince

Unread post by vince »

If i ever start talking about detailing hoovers etc please feel free to delete my post :lol:

I like restoring things as much as the next guy but seriously.....find something more interesting to do with your time :oops:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Citroenmad

Unread post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:
Deanxm wrote:MMMMMMM ford granada light lenses, yummy lol
Don't you mean upside down Rover SD1?
They are aren't they :lol:

Still, a TVR Griffith has upside down Vauxhall Cavalier mk3 rear lights and a Cerbera Fiesta mk3 rear lights.

Doesn't a Jag XJ220 have Rover 200 rear lights hiding behind grills?

Nice bit of parts sharing :lol:

Detailing a Dyson, hmm, that must be a joke? :shock: 8-[
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Unread post by DickieG »

What is detailing? :?

Is it another name for Cleaning?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad

Unread post by Citroenmad »

It is Richard, cleaning to the extreme :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Citroenmad wrote:It is Richard, cleaning to the extreme :lol:
Indeed. You might say I detailed my cooker this morning :wink:

In fact I detailed my whole house. It was worse than a pigsty after my extended bout of overtime and weekend working.

I'm off to detail the workshop next...

It looks like the Somme... As does my garden. That'll need detailing soon too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Unread post by addo »

I once dismantled the range hood and spent a weekend cleaning it. By the sound of things, you'd understand. :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

addo wrote: By the sound of things, you'd understand. :lol:
I most certainly do :)

I have a touch of OCD in many areas and I doubt that surprises anyone on here really :roll:
Jim

davetherave

Unread post by davetherave »

I think we had an idea Jim, your idea of a catastrophic LHM leak is around a single drip isnt it? For me it requires at least constant flow!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Deanxm

Unread post by Deanxm »

DickieG wrote:What is detailing? :?

No, cleaning is what you do when something is dirty, detailing is what you do when something is clean :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
XantiaMan

Unread post by XantiaMan »

DickieG wrote:What is detailing? :?

Its an american term for valeting.
2020 Peugeot Partner
2017 Fiesta ST
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Unread post by red_dwarfers »

Interesting, so I've been misusing the word!

I always used it near enough in the way that Dean said :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
vince

Unread post by vince »

Detailing is dependant on who you are talking about and what the person wants doing to their car. A large proportion of people post up that they have detailed their cars when it is clear they have just done a valet...handwash and wax...aka cleaning. Like the works van i cleaned up :wink:

Thats why my sideline is called refinishing...The process of removing as many imperfections as possible restoring the finish to as close to factory as you can. Today i noticed a bunch of scratches and marrs in the bonnet of the Xantia in direct sunlight. About 2 hours work later these have been permanently removed via machine polishing with a variety of compounds and pads. That is the real idea of refinishing. It is the process of restoring as close to factory finish the appearance of the car through a variety of processes and products.

Im not interested in flying the flag of the larger detailing community which from what i can see is largely filled with nonsense....For example, I read a post earlier on from some guy who wanted to know what he should buy with a budget of £200.....Whats the point in that? You can buy the machines and products but you then have to know what to do with them or else its just "stuff" in your shed.

What i get my kicks from is the restoration aspect of whatever im working on.

I cant get enough of my two favourite shows..American Restoration and Chasing classic cars.....both feed my desire for fixing things up :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
vince

Unread post by vince »

OMG im sooo tired :shock:

Ive just got home from doing the Lotus Excel......bigger job than i anticipated....

The car was booked in for a single day vehicle enhancement.....Usually takes about 7 - 8 hours dependant on condition. Anyway.....armed with my new DA polisher and Rotary in tow i loaded the boot with my arsenal and set off looking for an 8 o clock start. I got started at 8:45 once he turned up and we had a chat about what he wanted and discussed problem areas etc.

Firstly, the car was worse than i remembered it (usually the case) and being a fibreglass car dumbly i thought it would be quite a soft finish which would come back quite easily. Couldnt have been further from the truth :shock:

The paint is red and not laquered....naturally it had bad oxidisation on all the verticle facing surfaces which are also the biggest :roll: Eventally the cer demanded 3 passes with the rotary using a heavy cut compound and compounding pad, then a single pass with the DA and Meguiars ultimate compound. After washing it again i still wasnt 100% with it so gave it a single hit all over with Menzerna final finish on a finsihing pad then topped it off with a single coat of Meguiars Tec Wax. Finally, i was happy with it :wink: Serious graft !

I got finished after the usual other areas were cleaned at 16:30 and went to pick the owner up.

Upon the garage door opening his single response was WOW ! So i guess i did a good job then :)

Pics to follow.....