Vince's XM...213k and slowing....

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Give me a shout if you still want to go to CXMXantia there's nothing set in stone about when to go, but I have to be back in Warrington at 4pm on Sunday.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
vince

Post by vince »

Thanks guys...and also for your offer Steve :wink:

Im hoping that they will repair it and it will be ready for the CXM rally anyway...if not then Steve i might be calling on you for a lift if your still going down :wink:

Fingers crossed they will repair it......irrespective though, if the rear of the car is twisted then replacement will be the only option i fear....

I had a good look around on the trader and ebay earlier on......not so much going on their automatic wise that would be insurance friendly for Linda (thats the purpose of getting an auto) :wink:

I would much rather a nice Ami 6 or GS or Dyane for me and a small auto run around for her :P
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Is always my fear on the cit's, how good are the car behinds brakes!
Glad baring whiplash your okay, with any luck they'll look at the cars condition and value it up for ypu!
Mind persueing the whiplash could see a nice new car fund!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

vince wrote:if not then Steve i might be calling on you for a lift if your still going down :wink:
You've got my number, just let me know
Steve

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Insist on the full value - don't be fobbed off. The car remains your property and the cash from the insurance should be sufficient to have the car put to rights by people not involved in the insurance-related overpricing business.

Same thing happened to my Accord but I let it go and bought the C5 instead of repairing it.

Insurance (the other party) paid out the same as I had paid for the car two years previously)
vince

Post by vince »

Well.....the inspection went quite well. The chassis legs look undamaged he said and the rear panel although it has folded a little inside the boot hasnt split so it can be succsefully pulled back out and into shape again fixing the panel gaps and making everything straight again :wink:

He did take more photos than usual including the engine bay he said to get the value boosted up as much as possible over book price as he agreed it was a nicely kept example......just wish id bothered to wash it before taking it up as it was a mess after sitting in the airport open air car park for a week.

I feel much better now anyway as he is confident that even if it is deemed a total loss then i will still be able to get the car back and continue driving it safely and get the money on top minus the salvage cost which should be low. If so then i will probably drive it for a while and then sell it on as a project for someone to stick a rear bumper on it and sort the rear panel out. If not then they could break it as it has plenty of good bits on it and i havent got the space to break it here.

I just gave it a wash and clean out inside as it was looking scruffy even though the rear bumper is broken.....hopefully it will be a go ahead job and they get it sorted in time for the CXM rally :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

That's brilliant news, a weight off your shoulders :wink:
Steve

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Hang on, to my knowledge you don't have to accept it being written off no matter the cost of repair as you're claiming off her insurance not your own.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
vince

Post by vince »

Im not sure XAC? The good thing with the bodyshop is that they have said they want to fix it as that is the only way they get any real money out of the job.

Ive been out of the insurance game for many years and dont remember it much.
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

vince wrote:Im not sure XAC? The good thing with the bodyshop is that they have said they want to fix it as that is the only way they get any real money out of the job.

Ive been out of the insurance game for many years and dont remember it much.
Danielle says it's worth a try pushing for a repair. Depends if the repair is a % of the value of the car, or would be more than the value of the car, and also on who the 3rd party's insurance is as to whether they'll put up a fight or not.
If you an put together a case showing how much a replacement car would be and how much you'd likely have to spend to get it up to the standard of your current car, that could work out more than the repair which would help your case.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KP

Post by KP »

Sorry to here of this Vince as i know you have put a lot of time into that beautiful Xantia :(

I agree with Xac,

Have you gone through your Ins co or theirs as i have NEVER gone through my own when someone else has been at fault, always gone through theirs and forced their hand into admitting guilt or going down the court route(this has only happened once and they caved in before court as i reckon their insurance co told them their premiums would sky rocket and costs be a lot higher if it carried on) and never had to pay a penny or take a hit on my premium as they have always been no fault accidents :)

Its an open and shut case for the blame of the accident, and for the repair, whats the quote currently at for the work, as don't forget with the insurance co they won't need to include VAT and if they do they will only claim it back anyway :D
vince

Post by vince »

Well guys....the cost of repairs put the car at a total loss :(

But the positive is that the car just needs a rear bumper to look good again and i get paid out for the cost minus the salvage charge.

The car is deemed still structurally safe and roadworthy so no concerns about driving it, but i will still gutted when they told me.

Oh well....i'll still make it down to the CXM rally now Citroen in tow :)
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

vince wrote:Well guys....the cost of repairs put the car at a total loss :(
That doesn't surprise me I have to say :roll:
vince wrote:Oh well....i'll still make it down to the CXM rally now Citroën in tow :)
This, however, is excellent news :bd: I'll see you there. :wink:
Steve

vince

Re: Vince's VSX

Post by vince »

Well its been a long time again since being on here.....i do nip on and have a quick look around but work has been hammering my head in so much when i get home im not interested in much as im usually still stressed out,,,,but anyway.

The Xantia has been somewhat neglected over the past few weeks but i think its about time i got it ready for winter and got some little jobs out of the way. Yesterday started with lubricating all the check straps and lock mechanisms....i also checked all fluid levels (not been done for a long while) and everything was absolutely on the money still :) It is a good old bus. Winter screenwash additive was added and topped up, and all tyre pressures were done to ensure consistent pressures at each corner.

I did notice that my front tyres need replacing so that will get done in a week or so, meanwhile i will swap the rears onto the fronts as im down in Birmingham tomorrow and it will nice to have some grip for the journey :wink: The Xant was then given a good clean so it looks nice and fresh again.

One job that is now getting desperate are the dash light bulbs.....a few have stopped working now so the clocks will need to come out so i can change them over and get it all running again. I also have a relay which is shorting in the panel in the drivers footwell. Everything works still but im presuming its a light circuit one as when the brakes or lights are used it clicks loudly and sometimes sounds like its shorting...so a trip to the breakers and a full set of relays should see that right...i hope.

Bodywise, in the absence of a rear blue bumper presenting itself, i need to pick up a rear towing eye cover to at least cover where the other one was destroyed when it got hit in the rear. I will then patch up the other marks on the bumper so it is almost unnoticeable that it was ever hit.

Other than that, front discs and pads are due, as is a look at the front wheel alignment as the NSF tyre is worn on the outside edge moreso than the OSF one is. Its had a recent full service and spheres so i dont need to worry about that yet.

Should be ready for winter then :wink:

In the new year im definately going to start doign enhancement details as a sideline....i recently did a "turd" of a dark grey C Max for someone selling it....it was a mates rates car so £50 saw it done but i spent around 10 hours on the car bringing it back to life and removing 99% of all the paintwork defects on the car and its alloy wheels....he was blown away with the transformation which saw a "like new" car given back to him and led me to believe...im getting pretty good at this stuff. Some xtra sideline cash always comes in handy so roll on spring and the good weather again :wink:

Happy motoring guys
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Re: Vince's VSX

Post by DickieG »

Good to hear from you Vince, if you work out what relay is clicking let me know and I'll pop you one in the post, I have a decent selection of Xantia ones in stock.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH