Confessions of a Citroholic

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Confessions of a Citroholic

Unread post by RichardW »

Cheers Nigel - there were some follow up videos of people using hydraulic puller and the disc just shattering eventually!

I will go in with more violence next time.... :twisted:
Richard W
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

Might I suggest that, when you replace the brake disks, you smear some copper slip grease in the hub where it meets the disk. That way, with a bit of luck, you might find the disk has not become firmly attached to the hub.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

I always do that when I have had them off / replace them - pretty sure the ones on there are the original 8 year / 100k old ones though, and they've never been off!

Changed the oil in the 307 this evening; looks like the PTFE / reseat of the turbo outlet has stopped the oil weep.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Ah, silence 8-)
RichardW wrote:I will go in with more violence next time.... :twisted:
This I did....
RichardW wrote:Perhaps I just need to gera-biga-hamma!! And be less timid with it.... I thought it was hitting it pretty hard, but perhaps not!
No....
RichardW wrote:Maybe get some heat on it
No....
Stickyfinger wrote:Hit the outer EDGE of the disk not the back.
No....
NewcastleFalcon wrote:Cut slots in it and split it with a cold chisel
Bingo!! Required rather more than a single hit, and the NS ended up with about a 1/3 breaking off, and the remains STILL stuck to the hub [-X Responded to being driven off from behind with a cold chisel!

Wheelbearing went OK; Despite the blob of rust that was the head of the torx bolt holding on the ABS sensor, some PlusGas and heat allowed it be removed. Bearing came out easy enough, although it disintegrated in the process. Circlip, despite almost not being visible at first, relented rather easily. There was in fact some play on the bottom ball joint once it was off, so right choice to have that on hand to fit; it came out easy enough. Only part that gave any trouble was the outer race on the hub; past ones I have done this has split across with one sharp tap, but this wasn't so benign, broke a lump off it to start with, and it took a fair amount of abuse to get it split! Anyway, all done now, bearing is quiet, and the ABS light is out. Bonus. Wonder how long it will be before the other side needs doing....???
Richard W
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

4 days.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

I think it was <5k miles on the 307 :evil:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Richard, pleased the job is finally done... Good to see Neil's disc removal tip worked :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Dunno what it is about wheel bearings at the moment, but one of the ones on the rear of the 307 (that were fitted as part of disc replacement last year, as there's no separate hub) is noisy already! These were Brembo discs, so I would have expected a decent bearing, but maybe not.... I think the bearing can be replaced - at least the circlip won't be too rusted in!
Richard W
Mandrake

Unread post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:Dunno what it is about wheel bearings at the moment, but one of the ones on the rear of the 307 (that were fitted as part of disc replacement last year, as there's no separate hub) is noisy already! These were Brembo discs, so I would have expected a decent bearing, but maybe not.... I think the bearing can be replaced - at least the circlip won't be too rusted in!

Did I not tell you you were jinxed when it comes to wheel bearings ? :rofl2:

Must be a poor quality replacement. :evil: [-X
Simon

2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1978 CX 2400
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Jinxed, maybe, but they were Brembo discs, so I expected the bearings to be OK!

Seems I am also jinxed on rear brake calipers at present.... I had noticed a mark on the drive last week, but thought it was an old one, but then today when SWMBO was out I noticed it has grown. Hmmm. A look under the C4 shows that the OSR caliper has suffered the same fate as the NSR did on the 307 last year - i.e. the seal on the handbrake shaft has failed, and the fluid is leaking out #-o New OE ones on e-bay for £95 so not a disaster, but annoying all the same!!
Richard W
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Unread post by ekjdm14 »

RichardW wrote:'Cos I'm a bit of numbers saddo.... 25 years today since I passed my driving test! Where did that go???? 8 cars (me) 4 cars (her), close on 1/2 million miles, 2 clutches, gawd knows how many oil / filter / air filter / fuel filter changes, 2 prangs (both in the first 6 months of driving).

The next 25 years? Who knows!!!

Sorry to drag up an old reply, but just felt the need to mention I've been driving just over 16 years & over that time owned over 50 cars (maybe over 100, will have to try and remember!) and 12 bikes... I am an official addict haha dread to think how much I've spent over the years!
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
mickeymoon

Unread post by mickeymoon »

I've been driving cars for 20 years. Before that I'd owned 9 motorcycles. Last count was 124 cars owned that I can remember.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Gosh, you two have certainly had a few cars and bikes between you!

I like to try and stick with cars for a while and although it's taken 40 years I now have got the cars I want for the rest of my driving career... I have no intention of changing again...

The Activa has been with me nearly nine years now...

Mind you, I’ve had more Xantias than any other car... Ten I think and all varieties except the small petrols...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickeymoon

Unread post by mickeymoon »

I've also had 10 Xantias, all but a TCT estate :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Unread post by ekjdm14 »

I'm well behind you guys on the hydro side of things :( only the XM and this Xantia.... so far... ;) a fair few other Citroen/Peugeot & at least one Renault (a 19)... Rather a lot of Fords too in my early driving career, I'm learning now though lol...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k