Citrojim's AX, Pixo, C3, Running and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales

Post by Stickyfinger »

Found anything nasty Jim, anything worth checking on the pipes/fittings that should be looked at ?
What state was the water like ?, do these engines get build up in any of the water pipes ?

Questions questions :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nothing nasty found just yet Alasdair bar the oil leaks from the cam boxes.. Today I'll have the camboxes off and see what the cams and interior look like...

One thing that's quite horrible is the engine wiring loom. All the outer plastic Anaconda tubing is badly hardened and cracking up so I'll have to re-do the loom. Thankfully the underlying wiring is fine, just the outer wrappings are rough... I'll be on the lookout for some pukka loom wrapping tape and learn the techniques to do it properly...

James, I really did enjoy myself :-D Won't enjoy myself quite so much during the cleanup of all the muck on the engine but will be enjoying myself once I start the reassembly!

Mike, I concentrated on stripping in this session. As I reassemble cleanly I'll be taking lots of pictures.

David, it's just those E10s that are tight, once off the hubs come off easily and it makes the job so much easier. I don't quite see how the camboxes can be properly resealed without removing the cam hubs...

Before the question is asked, I'm not painting any part of the engine. Firstly I'm allergic to paint and secondly I don't like painted engines - I prefer them as nature intended.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I didn't take the cam hubs off when doing mine, the shafts lift out easily, and the seal can be guided back into place on reassembly.

I have seen the flexible conduit (very similar to the original) on sale somewhere, but I have forgotten where. Maybe Citroen still sell it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Your cam covers must be of a different design then Mike because there was no way I could life the cams out without removing the hubs...

Anaconda Conduit is available for electrical installations but won't stand the heat of an engine bay. I've decided to do a loom wrap now and not use it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Jim, borrow mine as a "master engine loom"....once its apart it will drive you nuts (more) :)

There are some very good loom wrapping solutions Jim. Water drainage is also important so a full wrap is not always best IMHO. Looking at the removed one this morning the grouping of related wires (with loom string) then their bundling together within a conduit that allows drainage seems a better way to do it.

Try some of the USA web sites (custom/race car supplies), they seem to have lots of very good solutions with materials to protect from oils/heat as well as armour and waterproof.
They are very good way to review some good wrapping/loom making tips/products lists.

A wooden loom clamp pole (a broom handle with 90deg clamps made from reusable cable ties on arms at each end) helps a lot at keeping the loom tight as you wrap BTW.
A cheap cloth dust sheet down on the floor, the old loom stretched out onit, then use a can of black primer to spray over it, remove the loon and you have an exact pattern you can fold away for the next session. Use white gaffer tape to apply notes such as "grommet here......90.deg tee piece break out....loom end seal....inline-fuze 30amp."

Some links:
http://www.techflex.com/prod_h2c.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.jegs.com/c/Tools-Garage-Gear ... 1/10002/-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Alasdair, thanks!!!

Lots of cleaning done this morning. The oil wells are now dry :-D

Things are beginning to look sparkly, about three quarters of the hard work is now done.

I'll post up some pictures later..

Off swimming in a bit...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Doc: "Been taking it easy then, Jim?"
Jim: "Oh, yes Doc"
Doc: "Some light exercise"
Jim: "Yes, went out on my bike. Just the odd 30 miles"
Doc: "A-ha, needed a sit down after that then?"
Jim: "Well, yes - fortunately my new engine stand is just the right height so I can work on my engine sat down"
Doc: "Engine???"
Jim: "Yes, only a measly 3 litre V6. Nothing too big really"
Doc: "Nurse! Nurse! We need a strait jacket!!"

:lol: 8-)
Richard W
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

^^^^forgot the 100 lengths before the bike ride hahahaha^^^^
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

RichardW wrote:Doc: "Been taking it easy then, Jim?"
Jim: "Oh, yes Doc"
Doc: "Some light exercise"
Jim: "Yes, went out on my bike. Just the odd 30 miles"
Doc: "A-ha, needed a sit down after that then?"
Jim: "Well, yes - fortunately my new engine stand is just the right height so I can work on my engine sat down"
Doc: "Engine???"
Jim: "Yes, only a measly 3 litre V6. Nothing too big really"
Doc: "Nurse! Nurse! We need a strait jacket!!"

:lol: 8-)
:rofl2: =D>
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

:rofl2: :rofl2:

That's excellent Richard and so nearly true... Many a true word spoken in jest as they say :wink:

Today I've already done a heck of a lot on the cross-trainer and static bike in my gym (conservatory) because it was raining...

Then lots of karate practice...

Then I baked a cake..

Then the engine and a bit of lathe work for a fellow WFA'er

Then 36 lengths in the pool (1200m) and then after a bit more on the engine I plan a proper bike ride if it ever stops raining, otherwise I'll set my fast bike up on the turbo trainer and ride it whilst watching the latest highlights from La Vuelta a Espana ( a tour around Spain similar to the Tour de France)...

I find riding my bike like that doesn't half make me speed up during the final sprint for the finish line!!! It's like I'm there racing with them...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No chance of a bike ride today as it never stopped raining so I just kept cleaning the engine and some of it's ancillary castings..

This is the result:

It is so clean now I can now continue working on it dressed in my Sunday best without fear of getting mucky...

Next job, cambox resealing... I will very carefully photographically document that but for now some very valuable groundwork has been completed :-D
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Shiney!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

My V6 Activa Blog has been updated both software and content-wise :-D

http://www.activav6.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim

lexi
(Donor 2020)

Post by lexi »

V6 is a proper engine! Serious lumps.......and compact.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:V6 is a proper engine! Serious lumps.......and compact.
Correct on every point Lexi!!!!

Went down to Somerset to see Dad yesterday in the Activa..

I was a good day but the drive was both hard going and exhausting. I'm not happy driving distances at all and went at 50mph for most of the way. Big benefit was fantastic fuel economy.. 50mph is the top speed I can now tolerate :(

My new tactic of not going to Karate on Friday and then not going shopping straight after the trip seems to have aided my recovery...

I'll not be doing any more long trips now until I next go down to see Dad...
Jim