C.L.O.D.S.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Unimog

Post by Unimog »

White van man tends to cause a lot of the problems on the road driving their vehicles at speeds to keep up with, or usually faster than the cars that are already speeding. Fact is that their handling, and braking will not match a car. They also consistantly will not allow other drivers the opportunity to get past them,(like the type of driver mentioned in the next paragraph) so the car driver has a clear view of the road ahead.
Although now with the high roof versions of normal cars, people carriers, and the dreaded 4 X 4, the problems listed above are made far worse, by the greater number of higher vehicles, and idiot drivers.
Normally we will see accidents involving cars, this is down to fact that there are obviously many more of them on the roads.
Accidents do occur with trucks, the consequences can be so much worse, due to the size of the vehicle, and because of the load carried, which can be deposited on the road, or surrounding traffic.
Car drivers do cause a lot of the accidents on the roads, but when they get into these other vehicles that they are allowed to drive on their car licence, they should take into account the size of the vehicle they are driving, and the effect it has on others.
The above paragraph also applies to truckers, as they are significantly larger.
Accidents also do happen to many other people who drive for a living. The fact that someone drives for a living, and covers a lot of miles can also put them at greater risk, through more exposure to danger.
At the time of this post there are very high winds through out the U.K. Look at the news reports, that show how many trucks that have been blown over that have set out on a journey, when it would have been wise not to do so.
Driving standards need to be improved by everyone, and I am despite the above comments, for truck drivers not against them.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Yesterday, A9 Stirling to Perth. Dual carriageway. I am travelling north in wet and windy weather. Speed 69mph. Skoda Octavia estate overtakes at around 85mph and, staying in the outside lane, slows down as we pass a filling station to 69mph. So we are both travelling at the same speed. Octavia speeds up slightly and pulls in front of me. We approach a speed camera. Octavia brakes and slows down to 60mph. I have to overtake in order to maintain momentum (my van is full of PA gear). After passing the camera the Octavia speeds up to around 85mph and overtakes me. We are on a dual carriageway so why slow down to 60 for the camera? The A9 is riddled with cameras - likewise the A90 so what is there to gain by driving at 85mph only to slow down to 60 each time you pass a camera?
Unfortunately my van is white. I very rarely go over the speed limit and if I do it is only slightly and usually to escape from situations like the above. My license is too precious.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Grrrrr, theres another thing to make me rage!!!!! people who can't maintain a set speed through a series of cameras.
During the recent M11 roadworks there was a 40 limit and LOTS of cameras. I stuck to the limit: its dangerous in the contraflow, the lanes are narrow, men are working, or pretending to, yet still people insisted on speeding up to 50 or 60 between the cameras, and slowing down to 30 to pass the camera.
Why they can't just sit at 40 I don't know; there were so many cameras it was the least stressful approach. These are probably the same annoying people who slow down going up hills and speed up again going down the other side.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I very rarely go over the speed limit and if I do it is only slightly and usually to escape from situations like the above. My license is too precious.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Same here; no licence, lots of hassle!! Despite living in the South East it may just as well be the South East of Mongolia as far as public transport is concerned, I have no sensible alternative to my car to get to work, plus I need the car for my job! I could use an official car, but then I would have to go by bus, sign it out, use it, sign it in, return to my office by bus, etc, etc, it would be a nightmare!!!!!
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Moving this topic over a little but in the same genral direction....
I started a new contract a couple of months ago and I now have to drive into Ely for 8am each day just in order to park, but that's another issue.
I have found a couple a drivers who only drive at 48 MPH regardless of road conditions and because the main road is a commuter route into Cambridge the oncoming traffic is a continuous stream not allowing overtaking.
Why do they do it? One car is a Ford Granada and the driver is under 40 the other is a Skoda and you have guessed the rest!
I came up behind the Skoda in misty conditions the other evening and he was crawling along at 25mph. I overtook and safely drove along at 40 and he just stuck to my bumper with his all his lights on! We were subsequently overtaken by a van!!
Could eyesight be an issue here? Is the standard test of a number plate at 25 metres enough? What would these two be like on motorways? I guess CLODS would not come into it.
Happy driving, R