CitroJim's AX, C3 Picasso, Cycling and Running Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55051
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8378

Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote:Only had one brief look at an Eddystone a long while ago and my thoughts were along the lines of "beautiful made but fiendishly complicated" I think.
They are very much beautifully made Zel, For my money, one of the most finely engineered and built receivers there is... A good part of the chassis is cast and it's built like a battleship - painted like one too!!! The wiring is like a work of art..

I'll pop some pictures up in due course...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55051
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8378

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

Very soon I'll be taking delivery of a new arrival to the fleet, Zel's Xantia 1.9TD :D

This really is going back to the beginning for me as my very first Xantia was a 1.9TD and having owned virtually all models of Xantia in between, bar the small petrols, it's going to be interesting to see how a 1.9TD feels again...

Looking forward to getting the few small issues sorted on the 1.9TD and making it good for regular runs to Somerset..

All being well I have plans for the C1 but I'll discuss those at a later stage...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
Posts: 5305
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
x 1595

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by Zelandeth »

Week or two of casual fettling and you'll have things back to perfection I reckon Jim!
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55051
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8378

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

The 1.9TD is now insured... I'll tax it on the day it arrives...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
Chris570
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 1487
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 14:10
x 36

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by Chris570 »

Veg
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2018 Renault Zoe,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55051
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8378

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote:Veg
Yes, I enjoy lots of it...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55051
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8378

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

Gabriel is here and is looking good :D I'm quite delighted with her... She's a nice, basic Sensation so is an LX in reality with a few shiny bits added... One big bonus is she has no ABS and I see this as a definite attribute :D

Big thanks to Zel for letting me have her :D

All in all, she's very clean and tidy and has worn her near-206,000 miles very well indeed. Looks like a car that’s always been cared for...

Image

She does have a bit of lacquer peel but it just adds to the patina so I won't be doing anything much about it...

Interior is almost unmarked:

Image

And engine bay is very clean and tidy:

Image

Her engine runs very beautifully and goes well too. I'd forgotten just how well a good TD goes and just how comfy and well-mannered a standard non-hydractive Xantia is...

She'll be great for Somerset runs...

Her MOT is soon due and a few jobs are needed. Nothing serious...

First up is to replace her (missing) back box.. Even though it's missing she's not as noisy as you'd imagine. The turbo acts as a quite efficient silencer...

Then the rear calipers need the usual and new rear discs are needed... That could be 'fun' :twisted:

And whatever a good check-over later today throws up. Judging by how she drives, not a lot I reckon...

Longer-term, she's going to need a clutch and a heater matrix... The clutch is a mite on the heavy side and I can just smell the matrix... After doing so many Activa clutches a 1.9TD BE3 clutch does not scare me - much :lol:

So, plenty to keep me busy for the next few weeks ;)

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

I've no doubt it's a good car already and will get even better once you work your magic. Two runs to Somerset instead of the activa and the fuel savings have paid the car lol

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55051
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8378

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:Two runs to Somerset instead of the activa and the fuel savings have paid the car lol
That's true Davie!!!

New back box on order.. Bought from the 'bay for the princely sum of £33 :D

That'll be fitted on Friday...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 11825
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
x 2000

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

£33.....that will last then :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55051
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8378

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:£33.....that will last then :)
It'll last long enough ;)
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
Posts: 5305
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
x 1595

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by Zelandeth »

Glad you're pleased Jim!

If you need an extra pair of hands for anything don't hesitate to give me a shout.

You'll have to let me know when you eventually stop finding pine needles from the tree by our drive!
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55051
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8378

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: You'll have to let me know when you eventually stop finding pine needles from the tree by our drive!
Still coming thick and fast Zel :lol:

Just given her a good, thorough pre-MOT and no showstoppers found apart from the exhaust and rear discs but I did find one duff numberplate bulb and one brake flexi hose is a little bit marginal so I'll swap those before the MOT.

I always believe it helps the MOT man can see recent work has been done...

Front brake pads are well worn too so they will be done at the same time.

Apart from that, she's looking sweet :D

Then, in slower time I'll do the cambelt and waterpump...

She's been well examined by a few neighbours and full approval has been given :D
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
Posts: 5305
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
x 1595

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by Zelandeth »

That would be about right, pads had a year left when I had the test done last year I reckoned. Funny how you note stuff sometimes then proceed to totally forget about it until the MOT sometimes!

You're right about going into the test with fresh work on the car. Reckon the Saab going in with new front pads, a new exhaust, new tyres and a fresh set of brake hoses probably cut the time I was in there in half last year.

Noticed that the timing belt sticker on the bonnet failed to survive one of my rounds of cleaning yesterday, but did remember taking a photo of it when I originally found it, and after a bit of digging around on my PC found it. So here's when the timing belt was last done:

Image

Obviously I've no idea whether the water pump and such was done at the time, or if it was just the belt as I didn't get any paperwork with the car...

Stupid place to put a sticker though, right at the back of the underside of the bonnet so you couldn't see it without kneeling down in front of the car, think I only spotted it when changing an indicator bulb!
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
User avatar
DHallworth
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 2436
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 17:05
x 167

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Unread post by DHallworth »

That's a lovely looking car, Jim. You'd never have guessed the mileage on it by looking under the bonnet and at the interior!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel