In it's own way it is a classic film. Rubbish but classic all the same....
CitroJim's AX, C3 Picasso, Cycling and Running Tales
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
Malcolm, I'm sure you've seen Debbie Does Dallas
In it's own way it is a classic film. Rubbish but classic all the same....
In it's own way it is a classic film. Rubbish but classic all the same....
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
xantia_v6
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 10965
- Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 22:03
- x 1459
Re:
The Borg Warner "DG" 3 speed transmission fitted to Jaguars (and some Rovers) in the 50s and 60s had the second pump. We used it once to push start my mothers Jaguar using an International Harvester truck with a fence post tied to the bumper to prevent damage to the chrome! It does require some speed to get up enough pressure to lock the bands.addo wrote:You could do that on many two speed autos, though - they had twin fluid pressure pumps in the transmission, one was driven off the output shaft. It built up enough pressure at 20MPH to allow the gearbox to spin the motor over.
From memory it's in the early owner's handbooks for stuff like the '61 Falcon.
This transmission was also one of the first to have a lock-up torque converter. It also had a Heath Robinson inspired system to prevent the car creeping forwards if you took your foot off the brake at the lights: There was a pressure switch on the output of the rear pump and if there was no pressure (i.e. the vehicle was not moving), a non-return valve was activated in the hydraulic line to the rear brakes, holding them on until the accelerator was pressed.
-
Xantianut
- Posts: 875
- Joined: 07 Aug 2012, 19:50
- x 124
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
The Dutch know how to enjoy themselves! I like their style......Stickyfinger wrote:There are "other" ways to start an Auto without a battery you know
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)
RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Re:
Mike, that's a great storyxantia_v6 wrote:We used it once to push start my mothers Jaguar using an International Harvester truck with a fence post tied to the bumper to prevent damage to the chrome!
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
Visited NVCF today with PavlosV6. We travelled there in his Pug 308CC Roland Garros with the roof down. Now that was an experience, even at motorway speeds not a breath or air or wind noise ruffles the peace and quiet of the cabin... It's just like being outside on a still, warm day. A lovely touch is the warm air that blows out of the top of the seat around your head...
It a bit stiff on the suspension against a Xantia but apart from that it performs beautifully. It's the 2.0 HDi and is remarkably gutsy. Well impressed.
In the NVCF car park we spotted this:

A nice, tidy black HDi SX...
In other news, due to an ongoing busy life coupled with a very real need to carefully guard and protect my (still fragile) health, I have decided to postpone the Activa V6 Conversion until much later...
Also, my V6 donor is too good to die, being in overall really rather good nick and for sentimental reasons I just can't harden my heart enough to break it. The sentimental reasons are the it was my first V6 and the one I cut my 4HP20 teeth on... I love that car just too much to be the killer of it... It being a rare S1 V6 has also influenced my decision...
Soppy I know. So Instead it is going to have all it's problems resolved and made good again.
The V6 Activa project is by no means dead, just postponed until times are more appropriate to carry it out...
Bought a very nice Hacker Hunter at NVCF:

It a bit stiff on the suspension against a Xantia but apart from that it performs beautifully. It's the 2.0 HDi and is remarkably gutsy. Well impressed.
In the NVCF car park we spotted this:

A nice, tidy black HDi SX...
In other news, due to an ongoing busy life coupled with a very real need to carefully guard and protect my (still fragile) health, I have decided to postpone the Activa V6 Conversion until much later...
Also, my V6 donor is too good to die, being in overall really rather good nick and for sentimental reasons I just can't harden my heart enough to break it. The sentimental reasons are the it was my first V6 and the one I cut my 4HP20 teeth on... I love that car just too much to be the killer of it... It being a rare S1 V6 has also influenced my decision...
Soppy I know. So Instead it is going to have all it's problems resolved and made good again.
The V6 Activa project is by no means dead, just postponed until times are more appropriate to carry it out...
Bought a very nice Hacker Hunter at NVCF:

Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
Northern_Mike
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
I'm pleased to hear you've binned off the conversion for now. I always thought your Activa was way too good to chop up Jim. Perhaps it's time for team WFA to get hold of a shoddy Activa and a shoddy V6 and make a very good V6 Activa out the pair. I believe there's a man near Swansea... etc.
Xantias are a strange thing. I'd like a good V6 one again now I actually don't need a car to use for work.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Xantias are a strange thing. I'd like a good V6 one again now I actually don't need a car to use for work.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
That's not a bad idea you've proposed there Mike
Sadly, no time or resources to look to Swansea this year as WFA are rather otherwise occupied currently.....
Sadly, no time or resources to look to Swansea this year as WFA are rather otherwise occupied currently.....
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5310
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1597
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
Tidy looking Hacker Hunter there.
Quite glad to hear the V6 will be saved, only had a quick glance at it, but really looked too good to die, lovely colour too.
If you and the team ever need an extra pair of hands (even if they have a bit to learn!) you know where to find me.
Quite glad to hear the V6 will be saved, only had a quick glance at it, but really looked too good to die, lovely colour too.
If you and the team ever need an extra pair of hands (even if they have a bit to learn!) you know where to find me.
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
xantia_v6
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 10965
- Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 22:03
- x 1459
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
Interesting... Louise has been twisting my arm to get a 308CC when we move back to NZ later this year. I am a bit concerned about the ride however. Was that a manual or automatic?CitroJim wrote:Visited NVCF today with PavlosV6. We travelled there in his Pug 308CC Roland Garros with the roof down. Now that was an experience, even at motorway speeds not a breath or air or wind noise ruffles the peace and quiet of the cabin... It's just like being outside on a still, warm day. A lovely touch is the warm air that blows out of the top of the seat around your head...
It a bit stiff on the suspension against a Xantia but apart from that it performs beautifully. It's the 2.0 HDi and is remarkably gutsy. Well impressed.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
It's a six speed manual Mike... Paul demonstrated it's 50-70 acceleration times in 6th on the M45. It's really quite impressive...
Another good thing is the seats. For me, very comfy indeed.
The folding roof mechanism is a mechanical marvel... I can watch it working in fascination for hours!
The Hacker has a problem. It stinks to high heaven
It possibly doesn't but my odd sense of smell says it does!
Another good thing is the seats. For me, very comfy indeed.
The folding roof mechanism is a mechanical marvel... I can watch it working in fascination for hours!
The Hacker has a problem. It stinks to high heaven
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
citronut
- Posts: 10937
- Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
- x 94
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
apparently they have a nasty habit of it all going out of sink and jamming/locking up wherever it goes out of sinkCitroJim wrote: The folding roof mechanism is a mechanical marvel... I can watch it working in fascination for hours!
Regards, malcolm.
current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
Seeing the multiplicity of levers and arms, I can well believe that Malcolm. I bet it's a nighmare to reset it too...citronut wrote:apparently they have a nasty habit of it all going out of sink and jamming/locking up wherever it goes out of sinkCitroJim wrote: The folding roof mechanism is a mechanical marvel... I can watch it working in fascination for hours!
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
Stickyfinger
- (Donor 2016)
- Posts: 11834
- Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
- x 2004
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
Shame you are dropping the V6Activa Jim, I understand why however..................
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
Activa, the Moose Dodger
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales
I'm not dropping it, just postponing it until circumstances better permit... I'm continuing to collect the bits I need and organise the project..
This year is a very busy one for me and time is just not on my side to devote to the job. My involvement in other activities also has a bearing as they are taking more and more of my time..
The overriding factor is my health. If I push things just a gnat's cock too far I have to face consequences...
It's likely it'll resume when I can finally reduce work to three days a week.
This year is a very busy one for me and time is just not on my side to devote to the job. My involvement in other activities also has a bearing as they are taking more and more of my time..
The overriding factor is my health. If I push things just a gnat's cock too far I have to face consequences...
It's likely it'll resume when I can finally reduce work to three days a week.
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
addo
- Sara Watson's Stalker
- Posts: 7098
- Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:38
- x 95