Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

See how you go as a poor battery will affect systems for sure. Anything 5 years or over should be replaced on modern vehicles.

However, I've also seen similar issues before and it can be the supplies and protection unit that goes faulty and needs replacing. If the same thing starts to happen again that me be the cause.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
Spacetourerman
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Mar 2024, 18:40
x 3

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by Spacetourerman »

Hi,
Did either of you get anywhere with your errors?
Cheers
g2018
Posts: 2
Joined: 09 May 2024, 08:40

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by g2018 »

I got the same issue and was quoted £850 to replace the Battery Charge Status and Management Units.
User avatar
Doo
(Donor 2022)
Posts: 490
Joined: 09 Sep 2019, 16:53
x 121

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by Doo »

This may or may not help, but my usually reliable 2012 Berlingo isn't being used as often due to the sunny weather and me using the motorcycle.... So when I asked my son to move the car it lit up like a Christmas tree. Telling me gearbox blah blah blah. I left it running for half an hour, restarted and all was well. I went to use it yesterday and same old same old, ABS, gearbox, ESP etc. So I had no choice as I needed to drop off a bonnet (not easy on a motorcycle) but needed to collect a prescription in the village first. Got there, fetched, back into the car and it was as if I had imagined the issues! It drove perfectly and I got through my day with no more issues. They are voltage reliant so I believe my battery is past it's use by date as the stop/start function is disabled and showing a warning triangle. But sometimes it disappears.

My point being perhaps you have a voltage issue due to a bad earth or maybe even the big + connection in the fuse box/BSM. My wife had a similar issue a few years ago and it was the fuse connections themselves (although the + connection was also suspect). I cleaned all the fuse holders with a woman's cardboard nail file (emery board) and applied some electrical grease. That was about 9 years ago. Never had another issue with that. But at the time, it kept flagging silly and somewhat unfeasible issues. I work on different vehicles and always find a green connection that causes a fault. CanBus no NOT like high resistance connections so I usually clean with a wire wheel on the grinder or a bit of 120 sandpaper.

Good luck finding the problem.
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
g2018
Posts: 2
Joined: 09 May 2024, 08:40

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by g2018 »

qwertyqaz wrote: 12 Oct 2023, 21:26 I just wanted to conclude the topic on my end. I got a used BPGA and installed it myself following a yoututbe video. It took me 55 min from start to finish and everything works perfectly! I decided to do it this way to learn something plus to save money. Even if the unit I installed breaks, I could install 3 more while staying within the cost Citroen asked for.
Can you pls give the YouTube link and also the part number you purchased.
Thx
Danholloway
Posts: 1
Joined: 04 Aug 2025, 20:38
x 1

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by Danholloway »

I’ve had the error electrical circuit fault followed by a parasitic battery drain. I own a Citroen grand C4 Picasso 1.6blue Hdi 16 plate and managed to finally fix it after 6 months of research and avoiding expensive dealership diagnostics.

The issue is a faulty relay that stays open in the BPGA unit that sits infront of the battery (well it does on my car). Unfortunately this can only be fixed by replacing the whole unit and seems more common fault that the dealership is letting on!

I brought a new unit for around £255 but have seen replicas a bit cheaper but didn’t want to chance it being slightly different. I have very limited mechanical or electrical skills but wanted to save money and actually feel proud to do it myself.

So I Watched a few videos online and it took around an hour to do, I just took my time took photos of all the wires as lots of them. What I also did was lay the units side by side and as i took one wire off I put it straight onto the new unit so I didn’t have to rely on my photos. Each of the wires are bolted on using size 10 ratchet.

To replace….

Obviously disconnect the battery.

You will then need to remove the two size 10 bolts on the base plate (think there is also a plastic cover that needs undoing) to access the second bolt. With that off use a size 10 ratchet (needs to be a long barrel type) as the bolts are long and hard to undo, these two bolts are hidden by a slide panel but you will identify these by seeing the two wires that go into the front of the unit to find the panels, this should give enough leverage to tilt the unit forward where two star bolts need undoing. You will find the final one on the bottom of the BPGA and then able to slide the back plate off to expose the rest of the wires.

Replace like for like on the new unit and you may find the new BPGA doesn’t come with a 15amp fuse but the original unit does so this will need swapping over. The only problem I had was putting it in the same slot as the original as thought this was the logical thing to do but when I tried on my first attempt I had the indicators rapidly flashing followed by an engine fault warning & service light back on.

To correct, I simply moved the fuse to the top of the three options and logically the black wire that came into this part of the unit was lined up with it so knew this would fix it.

Everything should then go back on in the reverse order. Ensure the two wires that require a long barrel ratchet are done up tight, I didn’t have a suitable ratchet at the time and after one week my battery had died again and wouldn’t charge, after checking with a friend we found both these wires (which I had only hand tightened) had come loose with driving vibrations over the week and the loose connection caused the alternator not to charge the battery. With these tightened I haven’t had a single problem with it.

Have seen people say it will need fault codes removed / BSI reset but I have yet to do this and no further issues.


Hope this helps someone and saves them ££££s
MrProtease
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Dec 2025, 09:38

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by MrProtease »

I have the same issue on my C4 Grand Picasso 65 plate 1.6 diesel automatic blue hdi and the OBD2 came back with the following:

Engine control unit#1
No DTC found.
============================
Transmission control unit#1
No DTC found.
============================
Engine control unit#3Engine control unit#3
DTCs: 3
----------------------------
U1109(87) [0xD10987] Archive (inactive)
Status: Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
U3FFF(FF) [0xFFFFFF] Archive (inactive)
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
P1AA2(49) [0x1AA249] Archive (inactive)
Status: Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear
============================
Transmission control unit#3 / BSI
No DTC found.
============================
Engine control unit#4Engine control unit#4
DTCs: 3
----------------------------
U1109(87) [0xD10987] Archive (inactive)
Status: Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
U3FFF(FF) [0xFFFFFF] Archive (inactive)
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
P1AA2(49) [0x1AA249] Archive (inactive)
Status: Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear
============================
Power steeringPower steering
DTCs: 1
----------------------------
U131D [0xD31D]
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
============================
ABSABS
DTCs: 8
----------------------------
U1118(87) [0xD11887] Archive (inactive)
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
U1218(81) [0xD21881] Archive (inactive)
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
U1210(81) [0xD21081] Archive (inactive)
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
C1545(00) [0x554500] Archive (inactive)
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
C1549(00) [0x554900] Archive (inactive)
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle
----------------------------
U1000(00) [0xD00000] Archive (inactive)
Class 2 Communication Malfunction
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
U1009(00) [0xD00900] Archive (inactive)
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear
----------------------------
U2213(88) [0xE21388] Archive (inactive)
Status: Test failed since last DTC clear

Replaced battery (like for like) as it was at 20% and coming up to 6 years, and the issue hasn't resolved.
seefourpio
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Sep 2022, 16:40
x 1

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by seefourpio »

Hi,

I have the stuck relay fault with the Battery Protection Module in my 2015 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi. Is there any significant difference between the versions: 9675350280 / 9675350380 / 9675349880 ?

My car has the 380 and I have a secondhand 280 to hand - which I am considering swapping in. Am I right in assuming that these versions (revisions) are "interchangeable"

I see from some of the adverts for third party manufactured replacement units that their unit is a replacement for 280, 380 and 880 ones.
User avatar
Paul-R
Moderating Team
Posts: 9339
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1942

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by Paul-R »

It may well be that the only significant differences are the fuse values and positions. Unfortunately, I doubt that you will find that sort of information.

If you already have a spare module then I would take a very close look at the fuses and their positions and take plenty of photos of where the cables connect up to eliminate misconnections. You really have nothing to lose.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
seefourpio
(Donor 2025)
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Sep 2022, 16:40
x 1

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by seefourpio »

I replaced the 9675350380 with 9675350280 and it all seemed to go fine. As it turned out, all the fuses where the same which made it a bit easier.

I took plenty of photos and transferred the wires accross one at a time. The most awkward bit was getting the front cover on!

I couldn't see any difference between the units other than that the 280 had an additonal un-fused (and in my case unused) post on one of the busbars.

Without wishing to tempt fate, the replacement has gone well and has cleared the fault and Service light.
Picasso_Man_2016
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 Jan 2026, 10:28

Re: Electrical circuit fault: have your vehicle repaired

Unread post by Picasso_Man_2016 »

Hi All.
On the hottest day of the year in 2025, I started getting the "Electrical Circuit Fault: Have the vehicle Repaired" message and the fault has persisted ever since.
Now I need to look into the problem as the MOT will be due in a few months.
Having replaced the BPGA a few years earlier, I have a little bit of experience around that area. This time around the Battery is not draining and the BPGA appears to be working fine.

The fault codes i am getting are :-
B1601 15 Central power switch positive (+CPC) relay control fault. (Open circuit or short circuit to positive).
B1602 14 Main Relay status fault. (Short circuit to earth or open circuit).

Trying to apply some logic to these faults. Have i got an open circuit connection somewhere ?.
Any help would be appreciated and thanks to the forum posts that have helped in the past.