I've done 3 defensive driving courses over the years, similiar theory - ex police instructors observing and then demonstrating, then observing again. Very useful.
Davie's french attraction.
-
Michel
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Having driven a lot on Athens and Brazil, I'm very good at anticipating the actions of other drivers 
I've done 3 defensive driving courses over the years, similiar theory - ex police instructors observing and then demonstrating, then observing again. Very useful.
I've done 3 defensive driving courses over the years, similiar theory - ex police instructors observing and then demonstrating, then observing again. Very useful.
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5306
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1595
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Instructor isn't another Davie is he? If so, he'll likely be the gent I did my driver training with!
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Michel wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 21:17 Having driven a lot on Athens and Brazil, I'm very good at anticipating the actions of other drivers
I've done 3 defensive driving courses over the years, similiar theory - ex police instructors observing and then demonstrating, then observing again. Very useful.
My dad taught me how to drive, the instructor back then taught me how to pass the driving test. In my opinion that is two different things. I always remember dad saying expect every other driver to do the most stupid thing you can think of and you wont get caught out.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Zelandeth wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 22:09 Instructor isn't another Davie is he? If so, he'll likely be the gent I did my driver training with!
No, not another Davie. Its Mike Jackson. He was a driver at stagecoach in macduff when i started there 15 years ago. Macduff was a satellite of Elgin then, still is I think, and Mike got the instructors job for Elgin, Inverness and Macduff, then did that untill he recently retired.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
Michel
Re: Davie's french attraction.
daviemck2006 wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 22:21Michel wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 21:17 Having driven a lot on Athens and Brazil, I'm very good at anticipating the actions of other drivers
I've done 3 defensive driving courses over the years, similiar theory - ex police instructors observing and then demonstrating, then observing again. Very useful.
My dad taught me how to drive, the instructor back then taught me how to pass the driving test. In my opinion that is two different things. I always remember dad saying expect every other driver to do the most stupid thing you can think of and you wont get caught out.
My favourite one that springs to mind was last time I was in Athens. I saw a Jeep Cherokee pointing the one way out of a one way street towards the 3 lane each way Kiffisias Avenue. I told my missus "watch, he'll do something f@$king stupid"
He drove straight out, across three lanes, across the grass central reservation into the outer lane on the other side - effectively making a left turn , but with no junction to make it - and drove off on his merry way. Hilarious, if you're expecting it. Bloody dangerous if not
-
Michel
Re: Davie's french attraction.
daviemck2006 wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 22:21Michel wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 21:17 Having driven a lot on Athens and Brazil, I'm very good at anticipating the actions of other drivers
I've done 3 defensive driving courses over the years, similiar theory - ex police instructors observing and then demonstrating, then observing again. Very useful.
My dad taught me how to drive, the instructor back then taught me how to pass the driving test. In my opinion that is two different things. I always remember dad saying expect every other driver to do the most stupid thing you can think of and you wont get caught out.
I taught myself to drive in my grandad's car on the back lane. Later I taught myself how to drive on the road by reading the HC and nicking my mum's 2CV when she was out, and I was only 16. A healthy dose of paranoia, not wishing to hurt anyone, and not wanting to get nicked ensured I learnt to observe very well and drive very sensibly.
I did, of course get nicked eventually (got stopped late one night with a duff tail light!) I also got caught by my mum when she wrote her mileage down before she went on holiday for two weeks and left the car..
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55058
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8385
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Michel wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 08:21 I also got caught by my mum when she wrote her mileage down before she went on holiday for two weeks and left the car..
Mums aren't stupid, she knew all along what you were up to
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
RichardW
- Forum Treasurer
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
- x 1487
Re: Davie's french attraction.
My mate's Mum did that on her R5 when we were at school. I showed him how to disconnect the cable, and then looked the other way....
Richard W
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Im pleased to say that earlier today I passed the advanced driving test. Not only passed but every area of my driving receiving a "commended", and a note recommending that I now train to be an observer/instructor in the IAM. He said its very few that get the commended in every area, there are 23 areas, usually most folk will get a few "acceptable". You would pass with 23 "acceptable", then there is "requires development" which is fail. Before he told me the result he asked what I thought of the drive. I owned up to being at 32mph in a 30 limit and correcting it, and braking slightly late into a bend. He said yes I noticed those but that is all you did wrong and both were very minor and as you noticed and admitted them I will not mark you down. Honest is really the best policy. Had I not admitted them I would have got 21 commendable and 2 acceptable. So now I shall start training to become an observer/instructor so I can keep my standard of driving higher. If I just stop now, I know me, I shall let my standards slip, and before I know where I am I will lose my new found driving confidence. I will now have to get a manual car again, as if I am taking people out in my car, showing them how it should be done, it would be better in a manual, and the berlingo isnt great for it as visibility is poor being a van. Anyone want a cheap berlingo? Anyone selling a 1/2 decent xantia or c5? Must be cheap lol
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
Hell Razor5543
- (Donor 2023)
- Posts: 14307
- Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
- x 3306
Re: Davie's french attraction.
You could always talk to CitroJim concerning Gabriel (well, Alasdair really).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Yep, I see Gabriel is now available. She could well find herself on my wanted list. A 1.9td, veg friendly (think of where I work), a towbar so a trailor would do anything the berlingo would. Very tempting.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55058
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8385
Re: Davie's french attraction.
daviemck2006 wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 22:27 Im pleased to say that earlier today I passed the advanced driving test. Not only passed but every area of my driving receiving a "commended", and a note recommending that I now train to be an observer/instructor in the IAM.
Davie, that's excellent
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
elma
- Posts: 3745
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
- x 287
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Well done davie.
You are the most overqualified delivery driver i know now.
You are the most overqualified delivery driver i know now.
-
bxzx16v
- Posts: 1697
- Joined: 29 May 2011, 22:11
- x 35
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Well done Davie .
Mark
Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
-
white exec
- Posts: 7445
- Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
- x 1751
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Hearty congratulations, Davie. I'll need to watch out in September...
!
Chris