Davie's french attraction.
-
white exec
- Posts: 7445
- Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
- x 1751
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I'd be surprised if Mister Auto (owned by Peugeot) is regularly selling duff stuff.
I've had items from them, and never an issue. Maybe lucky.
Could be (on the alternator) an incorrectly catalogued item, which doesn't take into account model/RP changes.
Most alternators have:
- Ground
- Connection to Batt+ (main charging/output cable) - permanent live *
- +12 IGN switch supply (via dash 'charging/IGN' light) *
- sometimes a separate voltage sensing wire, lightweight, which also connects to Batt+, and which senses the voltage there; this is done with a separate wire, so that it isn't confused by voltage drops on the main charging/output cable.
* If these two are accidentally swapped over (eg by a careless so-called electrician) the Alt will still work, but you'll be left with a battery that gets itself discharged over a couple of days' non-use. You might think that an interior light, etc. has been left on.
I've had items from them, and never an issue. Maybe lucky.
Could be (on the alternator) an incorrectly catalogued item, which doesn't take into account model/RP changes.
Most alternators have:
- Ground
- Connection to Batt+ (main charging/output cable) - permanent live *
- +12 IGN switch supply (via dash 'charging/IGN' light) *
- sometimes a separate voltage sensing wire, lightweight, which also connects to Batt+, and which senses the voltage there; this is done with a separate wire, so that it isn't confused by voltage drops on the main charging/output cable.
* If these two are accidentally swapped over (eg by a careless so-called electrician) the Alt will still work, but you'll be left with a battery that gets itself discharged over a couple of days' non-use. You might think that an interior light, etc. has been left on.
Chris
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I personally have had too many problems buying from mr auto now to ever buy from them again. I dont remember how mant incorrect bits I got delivered for the activa, which they insisted was a 2.0 16v, but was prepared to try again for the berlingo, only to get this. Its just my personal experience. Thats all that counts for me.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
van ordinaire
- (Donor 2017)
- Posts: 2537
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 14:45
- x 402
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Mr Auto has a terrible reputation - just read their reviews - BUT mainly for after sales service (or total lack thereof) rather than products. That said, the couple of times I've been tempted, by price or avaiability, I too have been lucky. 9 times out of 10, CP4L beat them hands down, there's also some smaller/newer players who might be worth a punt.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club
'05 C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS
& the numerous "abandoned projects"
'81 2CV Club
'05 C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS
& the numerous "abandoned projects"
-
white exec
- Posts: 7445
- Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
- x 1751
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Must say, my experience of them has been with Mister Auto Spain. Maybe they try harder here, although it isn't traditional.
Chris
-
RichardW
- Forum Treasurer
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
- x 1487
Re: Davie's french attraction.
It should be easy enough to test. Make up a wire with a bulb in it, and run it direct of the batt +ve to the small terminal on the alt, then start the engine. The light should go out and the alt should be charging. If not check the resistance of the big wire between the alt and battery - it should be negligible (although it seems unlikely that this is broken completely). The earth from the engine should be OK as it is cranking OK - but you could likewise check this by running a jump lead from the alt body to the batt -ve; in fact you could do the same with the +ve - with these and your temp exciter lead the alt is isolated from the car's systems so any fault must be the alt.
Richard W
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I should be getting a genuine alternator from a scrappy tomorrow, so shall try that rather than the bolk crap.
In the meantime i have started the big lot of love and attention that lilpug is going to get.Today I have changed oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs and plug leads. The plugs and air filter that came out were ok, in fact look relatively recent, they have just done approx 4000 miles but were over two years old. The plug leads were original. It seems to be running better now. Tomorrow i will not be spannering, on wednesday hoping to get beryl sorted out. I dont know what kind of gorilla put the oil filter onto lilpug, but it was the tightest one I have ever taken off! I have two more to get off soon in beryl and bigpug, I hope they are not so tight! Lilpug still needs fuel filter, coolant flushed and changed, brake fluid changed, gearbox fluid changed, timing belt changed, new front bumper, spoiler and driving lamps aka gti fitted. I managed to break the front numberplate, which annoyed me, not cos I will have to get another, but as it was the original dealer supplied one.
In the meantime i have started the big lot of love and attention that lilpug is going to get.Today I have changed oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs and plug leads. The plugs and air filter that came out were ok, in fact look relatively recent, they have just done approx 4000 miles but were over two years old. The plug leads were original. It seems to be running better now. Tomorrow i will not be spannering, on wednesday hoping to get beryl sorted out. I dont know what kind of gorilla put the oil filter onto lilpug, but it was the tightest one I have ever taken off! I have two more to get off soon in beryl and bigpug, I hope they are not so tight! Lilpug still needs fuel filter, coolant flushed and changed, brake fluid changed, gearbox fluid changed, timing belt changed, new front bumper, spoiler and driving lamps aka gti fitted. I managed to break the front numberplate, which annoyed me, not cos I will have to get another, but as it was the original dealer supplied one.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
van ordinaire
- (Donor 2017)
- Posts: 2537
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 14:45
- x 402
Re: Davie's french attraction.
There's a place on Jersey that'll do a reasonable replica, from a photo-copy of the original (although they do struggle a bit with mixed fonts), for no more (& often as quickly) as your average high street accessory shop.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club
'05 C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS
& the numerous "abandoned projects"
'81 2CV Club
'05 C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS
& the numerous "abandoned projects"
-
elma
- Posts: 3745
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
- x 287
Re: Davie's french attraction.
If the oil filter was on 2 years as well it probably tightened itself a bit. I had the same issue on my Xantia as I left it to long and had to hammer a screwdriver through it because I couldn't find a strap. It was messy.
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5306
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1595
Re: Davie's french attraction.
van ordinaire wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 22:25 There's a place on Jersey that'll do a reasonable replica, from a photo-copy of the original (although they do struggle a bit with mixed fonts), for no more (& often as quickly) as your average high street accessory shop.
You have any details, Van?
I'd really like to get a proper period plate made up for the front of the Lada, and the rear one had started to delaminate in a few places...
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28689
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5674
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I have used that method in the past on newly bought (not new) cars and usually end up with a horribly mangled mess.
I bought a pair of these for the fuel filter of the C5 which can be problematic and relatively fragile and they are just the ticket for oil filters (not mine, I barely tighten them and never had one leak yet).
eBay.
I only paid a couple of quid for mine and they get pressed into use for all sorts of things - mainly changing the 1,000L glue IBT at work as the unions are buggered and work have no tools.
I bought a pair of these for the fuel filter of the C5 which can be problematic and relatively fragile and they are just the ticket for oil filters (not mine, I barely tighten them and never had one leak yet).
eBay.
I only paid a couple of quid for mine and they get pressed into use for all sorts of things - mainly changing the 1,000L glue IBT at work as the unions are buggered and work have no tools.
-
Zelandeth
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5306
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 23:36
- x 1595
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Those are great, used to have a set identical to that at the garage and rarely had to resort to more violent methods. Only reason I've never bought some for home was that you can't get them onto the filter in the Saab as the suspension turret, brake master cylinder, alternator and...well, the engine are in the way.
Really should grab some now I've a more varied fleet again...
Really should grab some now I've a more varied fleet again...
Current fleet:
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
07 Volvo V70 SE D5, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 73 AC Model 70, 62 Rover 110.
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28689
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5674
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Which SAAB?
I could and should have had some to change the filter in my daughter's second 900 but had none and couldn't shift it without risking damage - it was supposed to have been serviced before sale but was so rusty it must have been there for years.
Like this - most thought it was a 93 but it was a month too early for that badge.
I could and should have had some to change the filter in my daughter's second 900 but had none and couldn't shift it without risking damage - it was supposed to have been serviced before sale but was so rusty it must have been there for years.
Like this - most thought it was a 93 but it was a month too early for that badge.
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I have a set of pipewrenches and never failed with it until this one. The wrench just made a hole in it, so it ended up screwdriver through it and length of pipe on the screwdriver. Ripped the old filter to bits! I was lucky to get it off. Just as well there's loads of room around a 205 engine bay and espically the oil filter area!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
Michel
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I also have a set of the same oil filter pliers. Best couple of quid I ever spent.
-
elma
- Posts: 3745
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
- x 287
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I haven't tried the pliers but usually rate the old strap wrench. Of course mine turned up after I splattered oil everywhere. Once the first one's done they should come off by hand though, well if you're lucky. Maybe I should get some of them pliers.