Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
User avatar
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 11832
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
x 2003

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

Same with me.....but it was a Land Rover turning up for painting :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Im just away to go pick it up. I wont get an oh fxxk what have I done when I look out the window, it will be left in the carpark round the corner from work, out of sight, out of mind apart from when I am working [emoji13]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Ok so the thing drives ok. More pull than I was expecting from the 1.9d. There's a knocking from front left, suspect droplink or balljoint, the brake warning light comes on and vibrations in brake pedal, suspect it needs discs and pads. Nothing major then. 3 tyres just about the limit and 4th perishing, but I knew it needs tyres and I have a set. Needs a good clean. If that's it I will be happy, not much there and it's all more or less service items. No rust to speak about, there are some minor bumps and bruised but nothing major. Even allowing for the small repairs it should be a cheap motor, and just a workhorse that I won't worry about it drinking of kebabs lol

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8386

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by CitroJim »

Davie, being a 1.9D (DW8 engine I assume) get that cambelt changed ASAP...

If it goes it's generally curtains for the engine...

A stitch in time.... ;)
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: RE: Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote:Davie, being a 1.9D (DW8 engine I assume) get that cambelt changed ASAP...

If it goes it's generally curtains for the engine...

A stitch in time.... ;)
If its a dead engine if the cambelt lets go i suppose id better do it if its going to be a keeper. I would think at 11 years old and 145k its probably done but absolutely no idea. And if its not done its way past time it was so better safe than sorry i suppose.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 1988
Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
x 263

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by ekjdm14 »

Dead engine it would likely be too, based on my experiences with Black... Could have been done once, likely in fact but even then it's probably due another any time soon.

At least it's a simple enough job with no turbo pipes in the way of anything, cheap enough too given the "change" you have left over from "book" price. ;)

Does seem easier than even I thought to end up with another Citroen, although I'll post why in our own thread rather than drag yours off topic Davie :)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8386

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by CitroJim »

Yes, best to be safe rather than sorry...

Dan, yes indeed. Non-turbo is a lovely easy job :)

Davie, also swap the water pump at the same time ;) You may regret it if you don't :twisted: I did the first time I ever did an XUD cambelt...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

If it's simple it may be the first cambelt I attempt myself. I think I need a berlingo bol to keep me right. I've been out in the 205 today, it's starting to missfire a little it has plugs a little time in mileage but about 4 years ago. It may well get plugs and other service bits soon, once I get my bloody drive back. Everwarm have just had a strongly worded letter of complaint sent to them, with a copy sent to my MSP, as it's the Scottish Government who paid most of the job. I have had enough of living on a building site, that's over a year since the job was ordered, and six months that the scaffolding went up for a job that should have taken 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
elma
Posts: 3745
Joined: 13 May 2007, 02:17
x 287

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by elma »

Go for it Davie.
They aren't as difficult as rumour makes out.
Just read and reread the guide until you know it and make sure you have the torque wrench, threadlock and whatever else I forgot to mention before you start.
One of the tensioners can be a pig but it doesn't have to be because you can wedge it in place before you take off the belt.
Michel

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Michel »

I have a Berlingo BOL I can scan the relevant pages out of if you like Davie..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: RE: Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Michel wrote:I have a Berlingo BOL I can scan the relevant pages out of if you like Davie..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
That would be handy Mike. It will be a while yet before I do it, but if you do that and email them to me that will be a big help even making up my mind if I will do it or not.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8386

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by CitroJim »

Gosh Davie, hope that scaffolding is gone very soon...

A 1.9D cambelt/waterpump is well within your capabilities :)
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

I think I will give it a go. I've just priced a full belt, tensioner and waterpump for 50odd quid. A gallon of oil, filters discs and pads and droplinks won't really be that much eitherand that will be it renovated!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Posts: 2537
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 14:45
x 402

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by van ordinaire »

One of the reasons I decided agin doing the belt, etc myself, was I couldn't find a book that dealt with the DW8 engine & even the relevant section on this forum didn't help. Perhaps I ought to add a Berly bol to my library.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

I wont be doing it unless I have comprehensive instructions on what im doing. If Mike sends me the relevant pages and it looks ok, only then will I decide if I will do it.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.