Davie's french attraction.
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
I've seen that loads of times. I never use a trolley Jack on the sills or hacking points without a block spreading the load. Most of the time I jack it under the subframe. I'll put axle stands under the jacking points, but the trolley jack will still be under the subframe.
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
MOT fail just recorded. Steering tie rod worn and steering rack gaitor split. Parts ordered there and then, will be fitted and mot passed on friday. It has one expected advisory for test discs pitted as I have not changed them yet. He was very impressed with the standard of welding and the amount of underseal underneath it and how solid a car it is, shaming many a car much younger. The bits on the front will and door shut he wouldn't have known were welded had they been painted! High praise for the welding man then.
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Excellent news on the welding Davie 
Surprised about the MOT fail. No sign of either problem when the car was with me and as I'd been there I'd have noticed. I had to disconnect the tie-rods and I'd have noticed a split gaiter... Maybe I did and it just didn't register....
Still, not bad in the wider scheme of things...
Surprised about the MOT fail. No sign of either problem when the car was with me and as I'd been there I'd have noticed. I had to disconnect the tie-rods and I'd have noticed a split gaiter... Maybe I did and it just didn't register....
Still, not bad in the wider scheme of things...
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
superloopy
- Posts: 3344
- Joined: 30 Mar 2005, 03:25
- x 19
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Whats the signs of a 'worn tie rod' then?
Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike
Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
With the front of the car jacked up there is movement when holding the wheel at 3and 9, no movement at 6 and 12. The only movement is where the tie rod disappears into the rack. Mr mot says citroens were bad for this, it is a ball and socket type joint which wears. The movement is not much, I hadn't heard or felt anything, but coming home there is a clonking that sounds the same as a fubared drop link. I shall photograph the offending article in due course.
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
superloopy
- Posts: 3344
- Joined: 30 Mar 2005, 03:25
- x 19
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Cheers!
Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike
Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Ahh, the inner ball joint then.. Those can be a **** to swap
Is it on the same side as the split gaiter and which side is the split gaiter as the nearside gaiter can be fun too because of the ram spigot...
I'll be interested to know how much the work costs you Davie...
I'll be interested to know how much the work costs you Davie...
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
RichardW
- Forum Treasurer
- Posts: 12580
- Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
- x 1487
Re: Davie's french attraction.
MOT checker says
Reason(s) for failure
offside front lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush rear bush (2.4.G.2)
offside front Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)
nearside front Steering pivot point has excessive play steering ti- rod (2.2.B.1g)
Bugger
Rack out?? No actually that's not that bad, as it means the 'difficult' NS gaiter is OK. I only got charged an hour's labour to change the NS tie rod on my HDi - including tracking it! AFAIK the joint cover is Citroen only - if it's even still available.
Reason(s) for failure
offside front lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush rear bush (2.4.G.2)
offside front Steering rack gaiter split (2.2.D.2d)
nearside front Steering pivot point has excessive play steering ti- rod (2.2.B.1g)
Bugger
Richard W
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Davie's french attraction.
If you mean the boot that goes over the joint just beyond the gaiter Richard then yes, they are available in after-market gaiter kits - or they were a couple of years ago. I bout a couple just for one gaiter and still have the covers and unused gaiters...RichardW wrote:AFAIK the joint cover is Citroen only - if it's even still available.
No need to remove the rack for the balljoints...
Looks like a P Bush has gone too? (The first fail point)
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Yep. I forgot that when I typed it last night. All parts were ordered by the tester yesterday to be delivered to his garage tomorrow. His sidekick is off just now so I am getting on the ramp of Friday to do it myself. Graeme, the tester will supply knowledge if I get stuck. The parts will cost just over £40, even with graemes help that's all it will cost.
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.


Here's the steering arm with the inner ball joint that the activa needs. The motor factors sent the wrong item. It's the same length and same inner ball joint but it is thinner and the track rod end won't screw into it. I have a feeling that I have once again fell fowl of the curse of my numberplate, which comes up saying the car is a 2.0 16v which uses different parts from the 2.0 turbo! At least it wasn't me that ordered it and the motor factors are sending out the correct part on Monday. The other jobs are done, by myself at the mot garage, and mot man checked as I did them so when he sees this fitted he will issue the mot.
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Davie's french attraction.
Same old problem then Davie
They do seem to want to believe it's not an Activa don't they 
I'll be doing the same job on my OS wishbone as you have very soon...
I reckon our two Activas plotted this when they were together

I'll be doing the same job on my OS wishbone as you have very soon...
I reckon our two Activas plotted this when they were together
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
-
daviemck2006
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 5033
- Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
- x 496
Re: Davie's french attraction.
And then went and cliped to the blingo, which threw its toys out of the pram, or rather a front brake disc out of a caliper[emoji34] No warning lights or scraping before hand, and as usual doing 30mph down a steep hill in town towards a T junction. Just as well when we did the back axle we made sure the back brakes are ok and it has about the best handbrake I have ever experienced. I got discs and pads today so it looks like brake day tomorrow. So the next few days look like, tomorrow brake day, blingo fronts and hopefully activa rear. Monday the civic type r for retest, it failed on no handbrake, driveshaft boot and a couple other things, Tuesday big check up aka a retest for me at the docs since I failed miserably 2 weeks ago, then the activa steering arm and retest. I suppose the most important one is my personal retest and probable adjustments of meds on Tuesday morning.
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
-
CitroJim
- A very naughty boy
- Posts: 55066
- Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
- x 8390
Re: Davie's french attraction.
That's nasty on the Berlingo Davie
What you you reckon caused a pad to be spat out then?
Be bloody careful with the caliper bolts when you do your Activa rear discs! Read up the words written on this forum before you start
All the best with your MOT and also with the Activa's too... I'm sure you'll both be perfect...
I have another retest with my doctor in about three weeks... I'll fail... Chances of me putting on those 3 kilos she needs is never going to happen...
I'll be working on my Activa wishbones today...
Be bloody careful with the caliper bolts when you do your Activa rear discs! Read up the words written on this forum before you start
All the best with your MOT and also with the Activa's too... I'm sure you'll both be perfect...
I have another retest with my doctor in about three weeks... I'll fail... Chances of me putting on those 3 kilos she needs is never going to happen...
I'll be working on my Activa wishbones today...
Jim
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
A bit of a Citroen AX fan...