DS7 E-Tense loss of Hybrid Battery miles

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: DS7 E-Tense loss of Hybrid Battery miles

Post by Paul-R »

How many miles (kilometres) has the vehicle done? The maximum mileage range of the batteries decreasewith use over time.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Beresfordj wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 19:45 I have just purchased a DS7 hybrid 360 on a 72 plate on the basis it will do (they advertise 58 miles on electric) but the press have suggested 40 miles. I am only able to get a 100% charge that allows me to do 21 miles. In the cold it has dropped to 19 miles, so if the 100% charge won't get you 40 miles, how can there be a 50% discrepancy on what they are advertising. This seems extremely misleading and against the law!
The figures obtained are never exact and will vary in each case simply because of so many influencing factors, like the temperature of the battery, the driving mode, the terrain / hills, the amount of regenerative braking available / used to replenish the charge, driving style (acceleration specifically will have a vast impact), then there is the actual driving mode selected and the amount of consumer equipment being used in the vehicle - passenger heating / audio amplifier, heated windows, electric heated seats, massage function, heated steering wheel, electrical accessories and the list goes on.

I think they can only give a possible best upper figure and then it's anything below that in the real world.

Having said all that, I'm not sure where you're getting those figures, as for the e-tense Hybrid the following is officially stated:

ELECTRIC RANGE: 34.8 to 38.5 miles (WLTP¹ Combined Cycle)
¹ The fuel consumption or electric range achieved, and CO₂ produced, in real world conditions will depend upon a number of factors including, but not limited to: the accessories fitted (pre and post registration); the starting charge of the battery (PHEV only); variations in weather; driving styles and vehicle load. The plug-in hybrid range requires mains electricity for charging. The WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure) is used to measure fuel consumption, electric range and CO₂ figures. Figures shown are for comparison purposes and should only be compared to the fuel consumption, electric range and CO₂ values of other cars tested to the same technical standard. The figures displayed for the plug-in hybrid range were obtained using a combination of battery power and fuel. Information correct at time of going to print.
The thing to note there is the bit in red I have highlighted!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Beresfordj

Post by Beresfordj »

Many thanks for the responses.

I have booked it in to DS for them to check the charging and batteries. The car has only done 5,000 miles but from all the reports I can find about the car, they all seem to suggest it should do 30 - 34 miles on electric only, so currently it is running nearly 60% down on what the common figure suggested is possible against what Ds says. We will see what the outcome is from the garage. Other than that, the car is amazing. J
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

Near the bottom of this DS sales info you can put in the temperature and driving speed and it comes back with a range. https://www.dsautomobiles.co.uk/models/ds9.html Lowest temp is 0°C and speed 10 mph - this gives a range of 16 miles vs a range of 32 miles at 20°C and for 30 mph at 20°C gives 45 miles.
Jackybowwow

Post by Jackybowwow »

Hi I've read this thread with significant interest. I got a used DS7 E-Tense in 2022 from a garage approx 80 miles away from where I live. I was told I'd get a 40 mile battery range by the salesman, it was on 36 miles the day I collected it but within a week of buying it this had dropped 18-21 miles on 100% charge. I was fobbed off with the "cold weather" excuse and told to see how it performed in the summer. Within a month it was recalled for a critical safety update so I went to my local DS dealer (only 20 miles away) for this and asked that they look at the battery while they were doing the update. Again I was given the "cold weather" excuse, so I followed all of their advice e.g. running in eco-mode/sports/4 wheel drive, using different chargers (including a Granny charge), running the battery completely flat etc, I ran it through the summer, nothing worked.

After the 5th critical safety update (and 5th courtesy car) the battery stopped charging altogether within a week of being in the garage. It's been in the garage for repair since mid July, in that time it's had:
- A new Stop/start battery - which I was told I had to pay for as it was unrelated to the issue even though the car was only 3 years old with 27K miles on it
- A replacement onboard charger - cost approx £2.5K covered under warranty
- Two replacement EV batteries - cost approx £10K each, covered under warranty

I've been told this week that the latest replacement battery fitted still only has a 19 mile battery range, so I'm no further forward. Again I'm being told it's due to the cold weather. I've had DS customer services involved since November with no success whatsoever. I've had to contact them every time for an update to see what's happening? I'm trying to get my money back from DS manufacturer as I've had enough, but the garage who sold me the car are blaming the dealer who has done the repairs/updates, the garage who has done the repairs/updates are saying they can't refund as they didn't sell me the car. Obviously if I knew I was going to have these issues I'd have taken the car to the dealer who sold it, but hindsight is great isn't it!

The Service manager has told me she has 3 other cars in for repair with the same issue, this suggests a design fault on the car or some sort of software issue surely? I've got a complaint registered with the Motor ombudsman, but they have 6 month backlog. If I don't get a satisfactory response from DS customer services shortly, I'll pursue a refund under section 75 with my credit card company as luckily I paid a proportion of the car on my credit card.

I've lost all faith in my car, and in DS as a brand, and I simply don't want the car back. After all it's stood idle for 6 months so who knows what effect this has had on the tyres, the engine, gearbox, air con system etc? To add insult to injury the car has depreciated by around 20% while it's been in for repair. I wouldn't have another DS car given to me if it was gold plated, the design or teechniology is clearly very poor and the after sales service is appalling at best!

Good luck to everyone who is trying to get similar issues resolved with their DS7 E-Tense, I hope you have more success than me! 😒
Last edited by Jackybowwow on 20 Jan 2024, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sorry to hear your issues. It's why I'm not going anywhere near electric until I'm forced to, hopefully in many years time! The technology is really unreliable, untested in the real world and fraught with issues at present. Hopefully as all the EV owners are the guinea pigs testing these, they will be more reliable in the future. Oh, and did I mention insurance?....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ictihadi

Post by ictihadi »

Hi;
My DS7 E-Tense 300, shows max 38-40 km as maximun electric range when battery is fully charged, but I could drive exactly 64 km in Electric mode with air condition and heater OFF with speed not more than 90km. I think their alghorithm for calculating Max electric range is different. In DS site estimated range when climate is ON and speed is 80km in 20 degrees C is 52.