C5 suspension grump
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: C5 suspension grump
Swapped batteries this morning to charge the one in the car as voltage was reduced due to the pump trying to lift the car and failing.
Charging the 'proper' one now.
While swapping the batteries it became clear where the leak was coming from, somewhere behind the engine on the offside, near the pump/reservoir. The pump tried to raise the car when I opened the door and started the engine to open the window.
It is also running down the sill and dripping off near the rear door.
When I had swapped batteries and went out to reset the BSI and lock the car it had raised to full height and was dripping away merrily.
It has now sunk back down at the rear.
No photo's of that as the camera battery was dying.
Charging the 'proper' one now.
While swapping the batteries it became clear where the leak was coming from, somewhere behind the engine on the offside, near the pump/reservoir. The pump tried to raise the car when I opened the door and started the engine to open the window.
It is also running down the sill and dripping off near the rear door.
When I had swapped batteries and went out to reset the BSI and lock the car it had raised to full height and was dripping away merrily.
It has now sunk back down at the rear.
No photo's of that as the camera battery was dying.
-
GiveMeABreak
- (Donor 2016)
- Posts: 41989
- Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
- x 6945
Re: C5 suspension grump
That dripping to the rear could be as a result of it being higher at the front and running down periodically Steve. It definitely seems concentrated near and around the BHI. Once your mech. gets that wheel arch opened he'll no doubt be able to trace the source of the leak.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.
Marc
Marc
-
GiveMeABreak
- (Donor 2016)
- Posts: 41989
- Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
- x 6945
Re: C5 suspension grump
Thought this might be helpful:
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.
Marc
Marc
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: C5 suspension grump
Thanks Marc!
I am presuming a breach in pipe #1, image #2.

I am presuming a breach in pipe #1, image #2.
-
white exec
- Posts: 7445
- Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
- x 1746
Re: C5 suspension grump
Rubber/plastic return pipes are the common suspect, especially where the leak isn't forceful.
Chris
-
GiveMeABreak
- (Donor 2016)
- Posts: 41989
- Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
- x 6945
Re: C5 suspension grump
At least you'll have a visual reference when he gets under there.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.
Marc
Marc
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: C5 suspension grump
Some progress - managed to get it on a low-loader and transported to his garage and he has confirmed that it is indeed the long pipe from the pump to the rear suspension that has failed.
None available locally so on order, should be fixed next week.
I did mention to him the need to remove the LDS reservoir cap on the X7s and he was fully aware of it despite not being a Citroen specialist garage (Citroen trained though).
He is also fully aware of the battery replacement/BSI reset procedure. All good things to know.
None available locally so on order, should be fixed next week.
I did mention to him the need to remove the LDS reservoir cap on the X7s and he was fully aware of it despite not being a Citroen specialist garage (Citroen trained though).
He is also fully aware of the battery replacement/BSI reset procedure. All good things to know.
-
GiveMeABreak
- (Donor 2016)
- Posts: 41989
- Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
- x 6945
Re: C5 suspension grump
Excellent - as far as excellent can be in this situation Steve - I'm really pleased that it doesn't appear to be more serious. Sounds like he's read his procedures anyway!
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.
Marc
Marc
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: C5 suspension grump
He does seem to know what he is doing and is a very decent person to deal with.
-
lexi
- (Donor 2020)
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: 17 Apr 2008, 17:51
- x 133
Re: C5 suspension grump
Has the pipe failed through fracture, rust, or a union? Let us know please Steve.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate
French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: C5 suspension grump
I didn't ask him but will do as I am curious about that too.
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: C5 suspension grump
Just picked it up.
He did save the pipe for me but I forgot to take it with me.
It had corroded through under the retaining clips
Not much to see but it sure did chuck the fluid out.
Anyone fiddling around in that area, it may help to fit some cushioning under the clips and perhaps apply some wax to the pipe.
The bill wasn't too horrendous, £290 which includes two pipes replaced, LDS - two lots - and a low loader transport from mine to the workshop.
He did save the pipe for me but I forgot to take it with me.
It had corroded through under the retaining clips
Anyone fiddling around in that area, it may help to fit some cushioning under the clips and perhaps apply some wax to the pipe.
The bill wasn't too horrendous, £290 which includes two pipes replaced, LDS - two lots - and a low loader transport from mine to the workshop.
-
Hell Razor5543
- (Donor 2023)
- Posts: 14308
- Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
- x 3296
Re: C5 suspension grump
That isn't bad, and it means you have your self propelled armchair back!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28712
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5672
Re: C5 suspension grump
Yep.
The C3 wasn't bad but it isn't a C5.
The C3 wasn't bad but it isn't a C5.
-
white exec
- Posts: 7445
- Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
- x 1746
Re: C5 suspension grump
Perhaps??? You mean this isn't done as a matter of course?
I despair at the number of photos I see of dry and rusting undersides, with owners then lamenting the disintegration of pipes, sills and body parts.
Apart from a carefully newly-acquired vehicle, this is all totally unnecessary, and - I would guess - often the result of sheer inaction and head-in-sand.
In the UK, if you don't protect it, IT WILL RUST.
Chris