Hi Paul,
Have been following your thread with interest, over the months you've struggled with it. Always interested to learn what the problem was, and how it was finally solved.
You ask about fuse rating for Plan B. If this is for the operation of the relay itself, then it shouldn't be taking much at all - only a few amps (I've measured an "ordinary" citroen relay that I used to do the headlamp mod on my Xantia, and it was less than 1/2 amp). A starter relay may IMHO take a few amps.
However, if you're talking about a fuse in the actual feed to the glow plugs busbar, then based on my Xantia, I'm not surprised the fuse has blown. IIRC, Haynes suggests a current draw of 15-20 amps per glowplug. Sometimes, to check glowplug operation, I measure the current drain with all 4 glowplugs connected, and this gives about 70 amps falling away as the glowplugs heat up. If your glowplugs draw the same current, then you have the answer. Hope you've used a thick enough cable
