ZX Volcane Q

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Not quite sure what fuel economy like as my gauge lies - drops quickly light comes on, next minute back up to qtr of tank. got new sender unit but not got round to putting it in yet...but £10 get me around 120 miles before fill up - could go further but never know how much in tank.....
With diesel i have added bonus of smoke screen distraction as i wind it on :-)
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Mine does that on corners, will go from 1/4 tank to empty light on. Once back on a straight its back to normal. Ive had fuel starvation from it before in a sprint when it started misfiring at 110 even though I was on a straight and it was just under quarter of a tank. Put some more fuel in for the next run and it was fine. My visa however you can run on fumes with it miles into the empty which is what I do to save weight. The zx must just have a dodgy pickup and level sensor.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Always fancied a 16V myself, but i've had my TD so long now i dont want to part with it + i've got it to a stage where it goes fairly well, corners great and is in good condition.
Did have a go in a C2 VTS at the weekend, and although the shape takes a bit of getting used to it certainly seemed to go well.
As for fuel consumtion, my TD seems to do around 400miles per tank regardless how its driven, maybe its because i dont slow down for corners much whether i'm going fast or slow?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I've lowered mine -35mm on standard shocks.
Soo much better, there is nearly zero body roll & it doesn't 'nod' like a lowered car, infact there isn't any loss of comfort other than when going over some relly sharp bumps its a bit hard.
Also get the back done, I haven't & have had the headlights realigned. They are on full adjustment & are poor - due to the nose pointing at the floor. The only reason I've done this is because I've a boot intall going in that <i>should</i> pull in down.
I'm also looking into stiffer dampers at the back as it's abit bouncy compared to the front. This may have somthing to do with the exsisting dampers being the originals - over 10 years old - although they are not leaking.
Where about are you? If you are local to me by all means come over & have a look.
Ross
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

After lowering you will need the castor, camber and toe-in/out adjusted. Otherwise your car will develop a voracious appetite for front rubber. I'd also replace the bumpstops as they will be getting far more frequent impacts. Check the suspension mounting points/front chassis rails for soundness as well, any cracks drill out the ends(to stop them running any further) and get them welded.
Lowereing you car in itself may not necessarily improve handling unless you get it set up correctly. You will loose alot of cornering speed on less than good A/B road surfaces (in reality most country roads - which are the fun ones[}:)]) and worse if you hit a bump stop whilst taking a fast corner HOLD ON WITH BOTH HANDS[:0][xx(] as it's hard to steer with your loaded wheel bouncing in the air.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I think its also down to the type of spring you buy.
I lowered mine myself, and come MOT time (about 3 months later) I asked the garage to have a check over to see if everything was ok and aligned. The drivers side front was slightly out tracking wise (probably due to the state of the side of the car) but other than that it was in pretty good shape.
I'vve only ever once had it hit the bump stops - sorry I lie twice. Once it was dark & I didnt see the black painted speed hump, second was when they dug up a road near to where I live.
You can't expect to run your car lower to the ground and strill be able to take bumps at the same speed. Just slow down!
Again I'vve never had a wheel lift off mid corner, living in the country I can & have taken most bends much faster because of less body roll, less BR less weight shift faster you can corner?
I'm not trying to tear what your saying apart, I'm just putting across the expericance I have had of my lowered ZX.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Citroen Springs for Volcane apparently £43 each, Gmax lowering springs £49. Will try citroen myself to see if get cheaper than outfitter.
Stick to OEM for springs, and now that got part number for GMax dampers can check around for prices.
Fit bits myself, no need to adjust rear, will save £100, then have to get tracking checked just in case... sorted
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

ross: ive got 2 photos of my 16v lifting its inside rear at a sprint heh, only just though but that was because the front end was washing out due to dead tyres.
ps: im still desperatly looking for a new car and have your email in waiting!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

lol oh now I get it! I know who you are!! lol
Ok just let us know when your reddy.