Driving on three wheels

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The GS, CX etc had a very well located double wishbone front suspension set up which gave almost perfect geometry. The Xantia and BX did away with this fine arrangement on cost/simplicity grounds and were fitted with Macpherson type front struts clamped to a lower arm, a much more "wobbly" arrangement I guess.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
With the GS / GSA there is also the fact that it has true centre-point steering - i.e. the swivel axis crosses the centre of the tyre profile at the <b>top</b> as well as the bottom; this is possible because of the inboard brakes, and true for the A-Series (2CV / Dyane et al) as well
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

But no-one has actually done it themselves or seen it done in the flesh!! Blow-outs don't count because there is still contact with the road at all four corners and the suspension compensates.
I still think it's stunt driving with a lot of counterbalancing weight at the other corner.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

No stunt about it, the DS will drive on three wheels. It has the torsional rigidity in its subframe to allow this. The Xantia might well be strong enough to drive on 3wheels too.
Who really cares, I intend to drive my cars with 4wheels, its a lot easier.
seeya,
Shane L.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

DoubleChevron-as an Aussie you must be up for a sporting challenge, then take a wheel off your ID or DS then and PROVE it!!!!A Rover P6 has similar rigidity and construction, but there's no way in the world it will drive on 3 wheels!!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Why bother, it's been done so often it's hardly worth the effort[:D] Infact a motoring magazine here did a story on driving a CX around for a day on 3wheels[}:)]
Wonder if the Citroen importers now they were going to do that with there test car[:0]
seeya,
Shane L.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I have been in a DS on 3 wheels, a long time ago and to be strictly accurate it was an ID 19 owned by my best mates dad. his dad was driving, my mate was in the other front seat and I was behind the driver. I was about 14 at the time and weighed abot 8 stone which i suppose did act as a bit of a counterbalance. It was the near side rear wheel that was off. Why was he doing it? to prove how good Cits were, and that was where my passion for the mark started, although sometimes I curse him for ever introducing me to the B****** things ;-))))))
Pete
________
Uk
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Problem solved!
Have a look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 91686&rd=1
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

But no-one has actually done it themselves or seen it done in the flesh!! Blow-outs don't count because there is still contact with the road at all four corners and the suspension compensates.
I still think it's stunt driving with a lot of counterbalancing weight at the other corner.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not in a Citroen but I did once lose one of the rear wheels on my Reliant Regal.[:0] It didn't fare too well on the remaining two.[B)]
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Why not just build a Lomax?
Jamie
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
well I was speaking to a friend last night that just drove his new car home from the North of Australia done to the south. Some 1000miles over two days.
The car ?? A '59 DS19. They had spent 3weeks working on the car before he left but made just one little mistake ...
He was travelling at about 70mph when the car started shuddering badly, so he slowed down, but not to much as there was a car following closely. Then he saw a wheel dissapear into the distance that looked remarkably like a DS19 wheel. He gently braked to a halt, the car didn't pull, vere or anything. He got out and had a look, he had lost a <font size="6"><i><b>FRONT</b></i></font id="size6"> NOT back tire. He went for a walk and retrieved his wheel, put the car on high much to the following cars amazement (tightening it this time) and kept going[:D]
seeya
Shane L.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Until I see it done with my own eyes and <b>no</b> counterbalancing weight, I <b>still</b> don't believe it- it completely defies the laws of physics, and, unless all the body weight is divided between the four corners it won't happen!!!!!!!!!
Think about it, if theres only one person in the car, the driver, and the drivers wheel comes off, then it <b>will</b> tip onto that corner, purely due to the unbalanced load, apart from anything else.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">as an Aussie you must be up for a sporting challenge<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Forget the rugby, take up the challenge!!!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The anti roll bar levers the other side up bodger so regard it as a cantilever suspension and it all works.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

On a DS, there is very little weight forward of the front wheels; the engine is fairly well back. That must make a difference, as well.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

A car can only continue with a wheel missing if the centre of gravity is on the opposite side of a diagonal line drawn between the other wheel on the same side and the other wheel on the same "axle".
That can't be true for all four wheels. So it matters whether it is a front or rear wheel that comes off.
But it will always be true for either the front or the rear wheels.
My guess would be rear, due to greater weight at the front.
But if DoubleChevron's mate had three weeks' dirty washing and all his tools in the boot, the front wheel could indeed have fallen off without nosediving his DS.
PJ