Piston speed considerations!` Ouch!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

John, back to escaped pistons and broken con rods!!
I never really had anything to do with the explosive charges but many years ago did use a little starter device on a Sabb (not Saab) engine. Mind you I had cranked myself silly over about four hours trying to get this reluctant little engine to go. It was a small tug bought at auction by a mate and I had to get it home for him. Then this elderly gent, who had been watching my antics, ambled over with a little tin in his hand and asked if I needed some help. They were phosphorous (I think) starter cartridges about the same size, colour and shape as a tampon. I did think I was having my plonker pulled.
He then showed me where to put it, with a big grin on his face, and one hefty swing of the handle and away it went amid much spluttering smoke and unburnt fuel.[:I] This chap used to pilot it.
Lesson learnt and much shame. It is only in recent years that I have the confidence and age to let me share this embarrasing moment with anyone.
Was it the Field Marshall that was a single cylinder job with a shaped stack and rather 'popped' when under load than barked? Big flywheel and generally green. If so I have lovely tale of age and steady does it over modern machines. Robin
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Robin, that's the one; I rather gathered that the large flywheel was for a flat belt drive to threshing machines, saw benches, etc. I think the single horizontal cylinder and flywheel was to comfort farmers used to traction engines!!
Did you ever see the very small steam engine with the high efficiency boiler that was designed for the middle east to drive water wheels; it was supposed to replace the camel and also supposed to produce the same amount of work on the same amount (by weight) of fuel (food). Only saw it once at an exhibition; I seem to remember that the fuel was dried camel dung and twigs.
Be interested to read your tale
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

John, the story was about a 12 ton truck being stuck....
I had tried to help with my Landrover but to no avail. It was end of show time and the surface was wet grass on firm ground following three days of rain at the East of England Showground.
We tried with a Matbro 4X4, no luck.
A Massey Ferguson from their stand, with sales rep, no luck. All they did was slip about.
Then along came the Peterborough Vintage Machinery lads. One with a Field Marshall. This was hitched up and bottom low engaged. With no more than a slightly fast idle it just pulled the truck away, pop, pop, pop and we all just cheered. A very proud tractor owner and PVM group. Even the Massey rep applauded them.
Slow but steady and firm. Robin
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Robin, wasn't the Field Marshall rather a heavy tractor with very low engine revs, about 800 rpm I think; this brought it into line with the static machinery it drove. In bottom gear the the wheel speed must have been very low - just the job for the predicament you described.