OS driveshaft intermediate bearing seized in mount

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MH123456

OS driveshaft intermediate bearing seized in mount

Post by MH123456 »

I was starting on the job of replacing driveshafts today and spent around 3 hours hammering at the driveshaft bearing collar to hopefully free it from the rear engine mount. I've removed the two bearing retaining bolts and didn't attempt this without removing the hub. That seems like a silly thing to write but I've seen some forum messages where the individuals havent for some reason. I've left it to soak with liberal amounts of WD40 as I have no PlusGas left. I'll leave it overnight and try again tomorrow.

My question is, if it still doesn't budge, is it safe to remove the engine mount with the driveshaft? Is there enough wiggle room to do it without damaging the splines, because the mount pins mean it needs to be pulled away from the engine to remove it and won't just come away.
A long time is a lifetime and a lifetime's too short
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: OS driveshaft intermediate bearing seized in mount

Post by RichardW »

There's no flex between the mount and the gearbox so you can't remove the mount with the shaft in. Just got to keep hammering... Can you borrow an air hammer or SDS drill? Although if you are replacing the shaft it might be easier just to cut it, remove the mount and deal with the stuck bearing on the bench.
Richard W
MH123456

Post by MH123456 »

I've only got the car up on an axle stand, so with my size and the clearance underneath, I'm not sure if I can grind through it safely. I hadn't considered it though so good shout, thanks. I need the car for Monday so ordered some more gear oil and plusgas for next weekend, I might give up with that side, do the other tomorrow, refill and sort out the leaking thermostat housing instead.

How long do you think it would take to grind through the shaft?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

A few seconds with a cutting disc in an angle grinder - if you can get it in. Recip saw might be more accessible. Hacksaw is going to be a long slow job....!
Richard W
MH123456

Post by MH123456 »

I once spent two hours cutting out the outer race of the engine mount bush from the same bracket in a Xsara Picasso to replace with a poly bush using just the blade from a hacksaw. I see progress, I see success. A few seconds I can do, but think it's more likely 10 minutes then given the space I have. Will probably have to cover myself with something to stop the human candle affect. I think I'll just pop it all back together if it doesn't go with a few more heavy slams and concentrate on the other side plus the thermostat seal tomorrow. It's still going to be there in a week :) it's not going to fall apart before then. Thanks Richard, you've given me hope again.