DS9

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Testpilot

DS9

Post by Testpilot »

Hi All, I am thinking to buy a 1-2 year old DS9, but I am a bit worry as not too many of them in the UK and not much information about their reliability. The DS9s are just sitting on the autotrader months, not selling and not needed and I am unable to understand why. Also, some of the drivers were complaining about the Stellantis and that when they brake down had to wait weeks without courtesy car. Somebody said he knows an owner and due technical faults was his DS9 off from road 4 months from 12... At the same time are on every UK site for this car low ratings only. I like this model outside inside, thinking of it a lot, just dont want to buy something what is not reliable and I dont want to have issues at all and dont want to keep waiting for the parts, dont want break downs and dont want to be without car days or even weeks. Not too many owners and info about all these above. Reviews about Stellantis no too good too... Anybody anything which will help me a bit as this can be a very good choice or the worst ever...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: DS9

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What you're asking is really not possible. This has to be a personal choice based on your own research and budget.

ALL new models from a manufacturer will have teething problems and issues - that's life and a result from using them under 'real world' conditions, which cannot be done in a test lab or racing circuit.

It's why personally, I would never buy a first generation new vehicle as they are untested for daily use under normal driving conditions. I would always wait until either the facelifted version or for a few years before buying one so that most of the issues are resolved, otherwise you become a test dummy for them.

Of course they rely on all this data from customer feedback to provide fixes and replacement parts etc.

So the DS 9 was only launched in the UK in 2021 a few years ago. The other thing to remember is that the DS 9 is pitched to compete with other luxury brands like Audi / Mercs and BMWs, so you are really not going to be seeing a lot of these owners jumping ship on a new brand - they are likely to be die-hard fans of the vehicles they already know - plus the resale values are not really known yet, so depreciation values are generally a lot more than the brands I mentioned. When you are going to spend up to £49k - £74k on a DS 9, you don't want to find it's worth half that in 2 years!

Look at the 1.6 e-tense and already these are being sold for £25k on Autotrader with 3K -5k miles, so you can see the problem. These are likely to be ex demonstrators from the dealer....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Testpilot

You have described well what you look for in a car and what you are potentially worried about.

Perhaps take a look at something like a Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Suzuki Swift, or something similar. In my opinion cars like this will be more tailored to your needs.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Why?

All those makes have had problems and recalls. As I said, ALL manufacturers have issues.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Agree, they all have problems. Thing is the guy seemed to value reliability over everything else so i thought a japanese car might suit him best. That said it's all relative, statistically a DS9 would more than likely be more reliable than the premium German offerings you mentioned.

Good note about all 1st gen cars having more teething issues. This is my experience generally but the issues are fixed under warranty free of charge so not that bad.

You are a bit optimistic on your etense 3-5k miles for £25k.

Here are the UK numbers on the road.
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=ds9&commit=Search

The story behind current the numbers of DS9's in the UK is each dealership was told to stock one, most if not all of these are E tense version, either the old 225 or the new 250. I think the ones for sale atm will be on because they'll be repalcing with a new demonstrator.

Then there was a large fleet order through a lease company for the discontinued 225hp petrol. I think of the total of around 30 cars registered, 26 of these registered in Q2 2022 if you drill down on the link. But the company for whatever reason never took delivery so the lease company was stuck with them. Around May this yr some started cropping up at motorpoint etc in dribs and drabs. Delivery miles which could be anything from 5 to 200 and I think £27,999. I specifically remember one weekend they had 8 advertised, on the Monday morning they had all gone. then the rest came in 1's and 2's and soon shifted, by this time some we're 26,999 and finally 25,999.....but on top of that is admin 99 fee, and delivery at least 150.

Where were they coming from? Well I bought mine from Marshall motor group and their subsiduary or partner company was actually the lease company. They'd offloaded some and kept 10 or so sold through Leicester and Scunthorpe dealerships. However, and believe me I was onto this almost every day..... when they came to advertise them on autotrader they didnt market them through the proper designation. Normally the car's are in the dropdown "Make DS - Model DS9" and these were all under "Make Citroen - Model DS". As such i concluded they were all but hidden from sale. Ok if you were specifically searching heavily you may find one but for the general public they'd never think of looking here.

On around 10th July they were advertised at £27,000 i think they still had 8 left and weren't shifting. 2 weeks and a bit later when I got mine they'd reduced them to £25,000 exactly. Inc free delivery and no admin. 22 reg, 100 miles.

I test drove the 225 e tense beforehand, since replaced with the 250. I came to the conclusion that a 1540kg 225hp petrol was probably better than a 250hp 1870kg hybrid. Performance is all but identical. As for Rivoli spec I didn't especially think the leather looked great, and prefer the wall to wall alcantara I have. There's a few bits i'd like off the rivoli but I'm happy.

The elephant in the room is the nearly £600 car tax, but I can live with that. Essentially I paid the same as I would have had i bought a 1 litre skoda octavia which is just incomparable.
DS9C6XM+CX
New User

Post by DS9C6XM+CX »

Probably like many on here I wanted a DS9 but balked at the new cost… and the used cost. Then I noticed that a couple of months ago prices suddenly seemed to drop (presumably as the demonstration models were being sold) and I bought a Rivoli E-Tense for £26,000.00 without seeing it or driving it. It was a lovely car and a great dealership and I wasn’t disappointed.

However I missed having a sunroof and a few weeks later I saw another with full spec - red interior , sunroof, night vision, electric boot closure, top stereo , heated and massaging rear seats and self park - which I bought as I thought I won’t see another with that level of spec for a while.

I have the daily choice of this DS or a 2 year old Flying Spur and invariably take the DS! The Bentley obviously is wonderful in every respect and is most impressive but the DS is so relaxing, so easy to drive, quietly impressive, unique without being showy and well, DS’ee.
Buy one, you won’t be sorry…until you sell it.
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

You put it very nicly...
What's the trim level of that another (fully equipped) DS9? Is it Opera, with some additional extras?
You've slod the first (Rivoli) one?
TIA
VBML

Post by VBML »

Hi Testpilot, did you get one in the end? I am thinking of taking a punt too, for the value and spec alot of car. Saw one yesterday at the local dealership, was very nice inside. Agree its alot to spend on a newish car and alot of unknowns but worth the punt?
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

FYI motor point have one advertised for 24k, 22reg with 295 miles. Same as mine, 225hp petrol performance line+ with a lot of alcantara. I thought the batch of them had all been sold. I got mine in Aug 23 with 102 miles on the clock for 25k.

Says pearl crystal white but I think its the other white like mine which is anything but white. Looks grey/ silver but then when you park ir next to a car that colour it takes on a champagne colour. Weird!

Happy with mine overall, only problem is the suspension. Pre buying mine I drove the PHEV version and it was a lot smoother. Trying to get the dealer to sort atm.