Clutch travel

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

Wollop

Clutch travel

Post by Wollop »

Too much clutch travel
On our GS the clutch pedal goes too close to the floor to be ideal. What might be the problem? The clutch doesn't slip at all. It was replaced in '09 and has done around 5000 miles since then. The adjuster on the bulkhead looks as if it is on the limit.

So, what is going on? Has the clutch fork bent? Has the cable stretched somehow? Is the cable too long? Is this a familiar problem and if so what is the culprit?

I suppose I could do something creative with the adjuster to tighten up the cable but before I do is there a better solution?
Stonehopper

Re: Clutch travel

Post by Stonehopper »

There should be between 15mm and 20mm free travel at the clutch pedal before the clutch operating fork actuates against the clutch thrust bearing.
Removal and inspection are the only activities that are going to determine precisely why the pedal has to go all the way down to disengage the clutch.
That might seem obvious.

Has the situation which you describe been the norm since you have had the clutch replaced? Or has it changed ?
Cable stretch is fairly unlikely, but possible. Fork bending likewise. The fork where it engages with the thrust bearing may need examination.
If so, then the engine will have to be removed to establish precisely the cause, including examination of the thrust bearing itself.

The easiest thing would be to replace the clutch cable, also check the bracket that holds the cable adjustment is not damaged or become distorted. Otherwise - it's engine out.
Derek
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Derek, Thanks, we are fairly new to the car and have noticed no change. It us useable but just about at the limit. I will have a good look at the adjuster and maybe jam some sort of spacer in it to take up the slack. If this works and holds for a reasonable period then my thoughts will turn towards the cable. If the effect doesn't last long then as you say the lump has to come out!
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I'm glad you got a response to this Wollop, please keep us posted!!
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Well...curious.

A thousand miles or so later the pedal has not changed. This, I think, is good.

In order to see what I am doing I removed the plastic heater ducting and flap box to better expose the clutch adjuster on the bulkhead.

Turning the threaded tube on the clutch cable achieved nothing. Curious. It is supposed to thread into the adjuster and be locked by a nut or ring nut.

From what I can see there is a bit of copper spacer made from pipe in there acting as a spacer between cable and adjuster. Curious.

Locking the cable's threaded tube and tightening up the nut up against the copper pipe achieves adjustment. Curious and yet satisfying!

So what I assume is:

The clutch was changed within living memory. The garage put it back together and discovered that the cable was slack, possibly because they used the wrong clutch release bearing.

In order not to have to take the engine out again they put in this little copper spacer. This results in an acceptable clutch adjustment BUT it means that the cable is not locked by the locknut and gradually undoes over time.

Well, curious, but that is what I think has happened. It doesn't make 100% sense but I'll leave it as it is and if it gradually gets worse again I'll know what is going on.

Maybe...unless anyone has any suggestions!
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Could need a new cable , if its not adjusting as it should id try a new one , if you can still get them
Husky. :?
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Recheck any thing the cable goes through aswell there could be something making the cable not retract as it should or its getting stuck , dropping lower than it should in a fitting postion heres an example.. xsara picasso 2.0hdi throttle pedal flat to floor only getting 28mph to 32mph, reason, under brake fluid bowl is a housing the cable goes through a hole then an r pin locks it into place , r pin moves or comes loose throttle hardly works,
So check any housing the cable passes through , and check the release arm on the gear box. That used to be where some eary fords use to have free play amd the clutch felt rubbish on the peddle .
Husky. :?