Xantia Tracking Settings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Re: Xantia Tracking Settings

Post by Rhothgar »

CitroJim wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 09:07 However, I can see a big advantage of doing it yourself... A properly centred steering wheel :)

Nothing infuriates me more than an off-centre steering wheel :twisted:
My Dearest Darling Jim,

All is now good in the world. I have done the tracking with my engineer mate Chris and his Dunlop gauges. Sorry I forgot to take photos.

But this will please you and calmest will once again descend…
00DFD943-3ACC-4F2F-9398-4BADE1E5C701.jpeg
General note for Thorter et al.

It ended up about 14” toe out.

It was 1’30” toe in!!!!

Steering feels nice and light now compared.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That calms my OCD beautifully Roger :D A massive thank you! I can rest happy now ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

CitroJim wrote: 07 Apr 2023, 17:30 That calms my OCD beautifully Roger :D A massive thank you! I can rest happy now ;)
And it’s a joy for me too. It was only one spline out counter-clockwise after all. Probably about 10 degrees. Lord knows how it had become so far out.

Strangely it looks about the 10 degrees out in the photo where it was out. That may be something to do with me adjusting on both sides.

Also, I noted that but on the offside is 22mm bit only 18mm on the near issue. Strange but must have been that from the factory.
Skull
Donor 2024

Post by Skull »

I very rarely have my tracking checked but I'm 8 years into my current Xantia and having fitted new lower suspension arms last year and now having fitted new lower suspension ball joints (MoT failure) and both track rod ends replaced on my Xantia, I felt it was a good time to have my tracking checked, I went to a 'free alignment check' place who confirmed it was 'off the scale on the nearside' a tyre fitted the 'wrong way around' and brakes that were 'only working on one side' (brakes had been OK on MoT Test and car had a fresh MoT re-test a few days before but I swapped the wheel from nearside to offside so the rotation was correct :mrgreen: ) - they wanted £59.95 to do the alignment [-X

Last time I took my daughters Ka II there I managed a sneaky picture of the computer screen for reference but security has been tightened up since then :roll:

They always seem to get a bit 'shirty' when you say "No Thanks, I'll take it away" :lol:

My track rods had been counted off and back on as 21.5 turns with 7 full threads showing on the remaining thread section

I took it home and re-aligned my steering wheel by 1 spline :yeah: I also made a dust/heat shield as the old one broke in half on removal :oops:

If you're a Citroen Purist do not press 'Spoiler: show' below [YOU know who you are :twisted: ] (Patent Pending :idea: )
Spoiler: show
Skull's bodge
Skull's bodge
Skull's bodge
Skull's bodge
Booked it into another place who used to charge £25 but still cheaper today @ £35

Checked the job was even on the threads and my steering wheel was still aligned (not tried Motorway run yet) and counted 9 full threads either side.

So to me a good starting point for new track rod ends would be 20 full turns

I got a printout of before (-2.20 [-7.00] -4.80) and after as well (-0.60 [-1.00] -0.40) (only noticed 'Activa' :dunno: after I got home)
Skull's Tracking
Skull's Tracking
My Haynes manual states Xantia Toe Out = 0 to +3mm but it looks like I am set at Toe In -1mm :?: If I've understood the diagram correctly :roll:

No doubt it will be a big improvement on the tracking I had previously, especially combined with all the recent parts fitted ....if I'm not happy I can always take it back for a tweek
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

Appears to be an angular measurement they have used although they are not showing degrees and seconds symbols on the toe in.

They are showing an angular diagram where the -7 is though...

ODD!