Citroen C5 Mk1 - Multi Function Colour Screen and Privacy Filter

This section is for information and posts relating to Audio Head Units, and Navigation Systems

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

aspire_helen

Citroen C5 Mk1 - Multi Function Colour Screen and Privacy Filter

Post by aspire_helen »

Further to my posts in the Citroen forum regarding replacing the CCFL back-lighting with LED and brightness control, I thought I would add this topic in this forum as it may be relevant to other display screens.
The Philips 7in colour screen in the C5 has a peaked cowl over it, but is insufficient to prevent the lower part of the screen being reflected in the windscreen above, obviously quite distracting at night. So, I hit upon applying a polariser or “privacy filter”, commonly available for smart phones, pads and laptops where they double as screen protectors. These are intended to stop the screen being seen by someone sat next to you. Being a polarising filter, they act in one plane ie horizontally, so they are designed to fit phones/pads in portrait and laptops in landscape. Which, by the way, means that the filter will not work on a phone/pad when held in landscape orientation. So, I discovered that the smallest (and cheapest) filter that could be cut down to fit the 7in screen, accounting for pre-punched holes for cameras etc, is for an iPod Mini 1/2/3, but applied in landscape to polarise vertically. See photos of results. In the photos I have removed the cowl to show the full effect. The filter does have a slight tint, but only a little. On the plus side, I can now use the “day mode” screen option at night for more clarity, especially when wearing glasses for distance correction.
As with most screen protectors, they come with removable film on both sides. For touch screens the film has to be applied properly of course, which requires the screen to be removed. However, for the non-touch screen it works perfectly just taped over the screen and is invisible with the cowl fitted; I recommend removing the films, as they are glossy, to reveal the dull anti-glare finish of the filter itself. I have yet check what effect polarising sunglasses may have, but as they are polarised in the same plane I suspect they will be OK.
Attachments
With privacy filter
With privacy filter
Without privacy filter
Without privacy filter
The privacy filter for an iPod Mini 1/2/3
The privacy filter for an iPod Mini 1/2/3
MFD screen with cowl removed
MFD screen with cowl removed
aspire_helen

Re: Citroen C5 Mk1 - Multi Function Colour Screen and Privacy Filter

Post by aspire_helen »

Re Update on Polarisation. The filter does NOT impair visibility when wearing polarised sunglasses.