Deteriorated or damaged SIM card.

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

ChrisRobin

Deteriorated or damaged SIM card.

Post by ChrisRobin »

My wife asked a question the other day, about her 308, it has the NG4 in it and every time she starts it she get a message in the pop up screen, which complains about the SIM card being deteriorated or missing which is annoying more that anything else, I have had a look through the vehicle menu but unable to switch it off, would this be a diagbox job if it's even possible?
She has no intention of giving the car it's own SIM card as she is Blue toothed to it and happy with that, it would be helpful if we can.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Deteriorated or damaged SIM card.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't believe you can.

Basically on this model the SIM card is connected to the unit via the 'services module' (where fitted) and is used for the SOS and Peugeot Services. It is the only way it can communicate in an emergency if the vehicle doesn't have an independent telematic unit. So in an emergency like a vehicle crash where the Airbags are triggered it will initiate a call to the emergency services and provide your location.

To do this it needs a SIM card. The system is self-checking and if it detects an invalid SIM or that it is missing, of course you'll get a warning.

I would try and get a SIM that doesn't run out, stick a fiver on it and forget about it. It won't interfere with the Bluetooth connection, as you have a choice of using one or the other, but can't use both together in any case for normal calls.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Cheers Marc
I will do that, I think She was, well both of us were worried if you put a SIM in it it will default to that and knock out the BT phone. Think we are getting to old for technology, compared to my 2011 Megane this 2012 308 is miles ahead, but a lot more twitchy electrically.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries - once you have a SIM card in, when you go into the phone menu it allows you to select either Bluetooth or internal phone. As you already have the Bluetooth phone selected it will just continue to use that, but the annoying SIM message will go.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc