Re registering as Cat S?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

numnuts

Re registering as Cat S?

Post by numnuts »

Hello all.
My Dad's Berlingo was recently hit by a UPS driver. Their insurance guy deemed it a Cat S write off. I have retained the vehicle on his behalf for the cost of salvage (£72!). The only damage is a nasty scrape down the driver's side that buckled both doors, though they are still usable. It is otherwise in great nick, but I know I am going to have to register it as having been a Cat S, even though I will be putting two new doors on and keeping it on the road. My question is, who is responsible for re registering and how do I do it? I am taking over ownership of it once repaired, so do I just get my Dad to send of the appropriate part of the V5 as normal, and when I receive my new V5 it will automatically have the Cat S notification on it? Will the UPS insurance guys have informed the DVLA of the accident? Or do I fill in a different form instead of my Dad sending the V5 off? Would appreciate any guidance on this. I have spoken to my insurance company to check the implications of insuring a Cat S car and there would just be an extra 20 quid on the premium. Cheers all.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Re registering as Cat S?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It will be your responsibility to re-register the vehicle with the DVLA. You need a V62 Form which you can get from DVLA's site here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ertificate

But I would check your insurance first because CAT S is for structurally damaged cars and these may be difficult to insure or expensive - so check all that out first of all.

I think there is a V23 to fill in too - but I'm not sure who fills that in - but that has to happen first before you can apply for a new V5. Also watch out as even though CAT S are repairable - there may be certain conditions concerning its certification / road worthiness and may need a professional repairer to do - but you'll have to check up.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Category S damage refers to a car that has suffered structural damage but is repairable. However, it is deemed unsafe to drive until professionally repaired.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

^There we go then^
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am no expert (I don't even live in the UK), but I thought that changing the registration category was done by the insurance company while the vehicle was in their possession, and not your responsibility?

The damage described sounds more like cat 'N' anyway.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The insurance company does set the category but the owner can ask them to reconsider if he/she thinks it's unjust, that rarely happens.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I looked high and low for definitive advice, including on the various gov sites, when I found myself returning a Cat (I forget) damaged repairable to the road (in this case, minor shunt damage, classed 'Structural Repairable')

In particular I was keen to see that the MOT was still valid and had a half idea that it'd need a new MOT. I did read somewhere about having it 'professionally repaired' but could find no list of companies offering such a service and I also got a less than conclusive response from my regular MOT Centre, of many years standing; who tried to be helpful but simply didn't know.

In the end, I did nothing. I noted that the MOT that was in force at the time of the damage still stood, and I checked this repeatedly over a period of a couple of months; the V5 in my name (transferred from my daughter, who had the accident) came back with its Cat status clearly shown and I used & enjoyed the car. Its no longer mine but I note it has since passed another MOT and is still showing as MOT'd and Taxed.
Puxa
numnuts

Post by numnuts »

Thanks all. The replies have been very helpful. In the end I used the p62 form which allowed me to request a new V5 whilst stating the car had been declared Cat S. Cheers.