Marc's X7, C3 Aircross, Rants, Raves & Everything Else

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Marc's X7, Rants, Raves & Everything Else

Post by mickthemaverick »

I am an unashamed Clarkson fan. Yes he has done daft things and pushed his luck too far sometimes but we all make mistakes and nobody laughs at him more than he laughs at himself!! As a car reviewer he was truthful to his opinion regardless of what damage it may do to future programme opportunities and included many amusing metaphors in his descriptive prose. In his latest guise as presenter of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire he has put his own style onto the role carved by Chris Tarrant and added a twist with the "Ask the host" lifeline, frequently stating his answer as "I have absolutely no idea". :-D Yes rock on Jeremy, one of the few things I will watch instead of sport!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

He's not so bad on that show - the odd few times I've caught a glimpse - like that completely embarrassing bloke tonight - a school teacher that didn't know what household item a 'Tog rating' applied to and didn't know what a Monkey nut was! A teacher no less - there's no hope, I give up.

But what I was going to say, is that JC is okish on his own, but when the three pillocks are together (JC, RH & JM), it's like they are trying to out do each other all the time for sarcasm of the year award. But too late, that goes to me. :twisted:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I have to agree about the teacher, what a plonker!!! Not to mention the girl that didn't ask Jeremy a driving question!! However I used to enjoy Top Gear when they were doing the early series and the specials but it did get too loopy by the end. I watched The Grand Tour on amazon and again some good, some bad but as individual presenters I like Jeremy and James May who has done some good stuff on toys, cars of the people, the wine trail with Oz and his series chasing technology. Hammond has done nothing for me!!
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

For those of you of a more mature age and lived around the south James May reminds me of Jack Hargreaves, that was a programme i really enjoyed as a youngster and although he was not "stylish" he knew what he was talking about.
May is the same when he presents a show on his own, very intelligent and passionate about what he is talking about.
Thats my tuppence spent :)
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

admiral51 wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 20:12 reminds me of Jack Hargreaves, that was a programme i really enjoyed as a youngster and although he was not "stylish" he knew what he was talking about.
Plenty Jack Hargreaves fans on here. The website Dailymotion has loads of the old programmes on it if you fancy a trip down memory lane

https://www.dailymotion.com/search/jack%20hargreaves

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think I remember that bloke on the TV as a kid - and switching channels! :-D

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

GiveMeABreak wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 21:56 I think I remember that bloke on the TV as a kid - and switching channels! :-D
You heathen!! :-D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So with all this Corona madness, and in isolation ourselves, decided to get out today and start on getting my Sister's Picasso ready for sale.

It's been a flipping stressful few weeks and a constant battle here to get supplies delivered. We managed a Tesco slot a few weeks back - but we can forget any further home deliveries for that useless place and we'll never be going there again after this all settles down.

Their online home delivery system is a complete joke, after having had to re-do the shopping basket 4 separate times as they keep deleting over half the items each time. They must be basing all this on what is in the store when you go in and edit your basket and then delete everything not currently in - a bloody joke. I mean how can they remove MILK off the list when my order slot is not for another 8 days? Crazy.

They should leave everything on there until the day before and then notify you to make the last adjustments - otherwise you are constantly doing your shopping list everyday. I mean they must of seen this coming over a month ago and have not been prepared for not only the extra demand, but on adapting the system where needed. Another example:- because of the 3 limit item, I can now only put 3 bloody carrots in my shopping basket and the weight thing means nothing. So completely useless, and no wonder their ratings and reviews have dive-bombed. So we will now be waiting to the last hour on the last day to make the final shopping list and if we get 1/5th of it I will be surprised.

So I am only going to the local Farm shop (40 mile round trip) to get a stack of fresh fruit and veg. as they have now adapted and are taking phone orders, where you then drive down round the back - shout your name, they bring out the remote contactless card machine and then load everything into the car for you - so you don't even need to get out the car. Fantastic and they and other local businesses should be commended for their unique and flexible approach to this issue and this puts the big boys to shame.

Even our local butchers are now delivering locally, so it looks like we won't starve after all and I won't have to turn into a vegetarian and graze the lawns just yet.

On another rant - Boots - despite free prescriptions in Wales, I went onto their site to arrange my Mother's repeat prescription to be delivered during this crisis - and selected all the correct info and declared 'Welsh Prescription' just to be told at the checkout that there is a £9 per item charge, so that would be £36 plus the delivery! Boots you can KMA.

So that got me fuming and no, I couldn't ring anyone to let off steam about that - so cancelled and deactivated the account and that is another shop we will no longer be using again.

I managed to call a local independent chemist after 30 minutes and although they are not taking on any new deliveries they recognised my Mum's name (as the lady had jumped ship from Boots) and took over the prescription, contacted the surgery without any questions, and will now be delivering the meds each month for the sum total of £0.

We also have some volunteers in the village who are now delivering essentials to people who cannot get out for risk of infection - what a fantastic community we have. It makes up for all the selfish hoarders who do not realise the impact their actions have now had on others.

Anyway, I did enjoy the sun we had today and am taking my time over the jobs I need to do on the Picasso - not that I'm expecting anyone to be buying it soon with all the restrictions in place! Took the roof box off ready to give the electric roof glass a good clean and oil the channels. Have hoovered the interior giving the Dyson car kit a good work out and steam cleaned the seats and carpets for today. I may do the seat belts and head lining tomorrow.

I spent some time on the interior dash, but I think the previous owner had used some dodgy chemical on the plastics that has left a few spots on the trim. So I will have to see if I can remove them with some of the concoctions I have in the shed. I have a new Radio to put in as the plastic supports have perished on the old one - so that will go in sometime later.

I will be giving it a good wash with the snowfoam and the Kärcher, then will take a few of the light surface scratches off with the MANTIS paste which works a treat.

It's actually a cracking vehicle as I am reminded to say after today going through all the cubby holes and storage compartments when hoovering. So going to do a bit at a time to while away the time.

Oh, and the last rant of the day, was DPD! We had some new ceramic dishes and bowls delivered from Port Meirion today - and I went out when I saw the van arrive. Before I could say anything the guy shouted my name out from across the lane - which I confirmed, then proceeded to throw - yes throw the large box clearly marked 'Fragile' onto the road. :wtf:

He got back in his van, shouting "cheers pal" and legged it! So thankfully PM had done a cracking job protecting the goods and we had no breakages - but I got onto them and gave them hell. They are supposed to be contacting me tomorrow so we shall see - I know we are distancing and isolating, but that doesn't excuse loutish behaviour of that order.

:rant2:

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I hope that feels better!!! I'm with you on Tesco Online but I've found Ocado a totally different experience. Yes they are a bit dearer but you get what you pay for. I don't think they are taking new customers on at the moment, which in itself is an example of their desire to do the job properly but worth a try. Stay safe!! :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Mick - yes unfortunately we have only 2 choices Tesco 20 miles away and an ASDA 35 miles away - and none of these have any slots at all, for the next 3 weeks ahead and no Ocado, with Morrisons being late to the online groceries game - not even delivering in our area - so we are a bit snookered.

We are already baking bread - but guess what - yes, no yeast available anywhere!

It's a shame that I think starvation is going to be a serious factor for a lot of the vulnerable and the elderly, yet alone the virus.

Over and out!

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Fortunately my Tesco is just a couple of miles away and I've done the shopping in store for myself and a neighbour, so far we've managed to get all we need, without over stocking.

All the checkout staff are wearing latex gloves and they have lines marked at the tills to keep the customers a couple of metres apart and I'm told they have staff disinfecting the trolley handles several times a day.

I've never had a delivery order but I see all the online companies deliver around here, if you can find a slot in the next six weeks or so. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So just having passed the MOT, with some new rear pads that needed replacing, my local mechanic noted the locking wheel nuts had seized on one wheel. So they got that off and put a temporary bolt in.

So they recommended these 'Precision' limpet locking bolts.
image_2020-10-12_120104.png
What I do like about them is the 'limpet' design. These have a unique manufactured grooved shape around the circumference of the bolt that the locking socket literally slides over into place when matched. This allows for a much more tight and close fit over the whole bolt and allows more force to be exerted if needed without fear of breaking. As there are no pins, there’s nothing to snap off!

The PSA ones by comparison have several protruding thin pins that lock into the bolt and it is these than invariably break off and snap under too much pressure, where they can be a bugger to get off.

I was also pleased with the really nice quality finish and they of course need no cap over the bolt as they are already chromed and seem to match almost perfectly. Sorry about the dirty alloys - but it was chucking it down.
Marcs X7 Wheel Nuts B.png
They do a set of these for the genuine Citroen C5 Alloys and also for an aftermarket set of alloys for the C5.

For £24.99 delivered, I am well made up with these. The quality seems far superior to the PSA originals too. Link below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Locki ... 2749.l2648

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Is there really so much alloy wheel theft nowadays to justify the fitment of any locking wheel bolts? I replaced them with standard bolts on both our 308 and X7 shortly after they joined our household.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Paul-R wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 13:32 Is there really so much alloy wheel theft nowadays to justify the fitment of any locking wheel bolts? I replaced them with standard bolts on both our 308 and X7 shortly after they joined our household.
Same here Paul, first thing I do with my cars is to bin the locking wheel nuts!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is the first set of locking bolts that I have ever had an issue with to be honest. With a single alloy bolt typically costing about £6, £24 for the 4 locking ones seemed a no-brainer TBH.

I agree it's not as if these are Bentley's or have highly desirable alloys, but I just like to make sure my wheels stay on my vehicle. :-D

Marc